Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem

Thread: Update for those in the Te miro Te Tapui ballot

Update for those in the Te miro Te Tapui ballot

Hi All,

Spoke to Kim at DOC Te Rapa this morning and there's been a little change to how things normally go for the ballot. The local Iwi Nagati Haua settlement has gone through and transition of ownership has occurred a little quicker than everyone was thinking.

As a result the ballot that is normally notified by the start of FEB won't be made until the 10th FEB with notification via mail to follow. There has been a slight change with the normal boundaries for the area and those after Te Tapui A which will be affected this season (detail still to come out, but i think they're possibly not going to offer it this year ).

Apart from that with transition going to IWI they (IWI) have chosen to use the existing process and ballot system for this year whilst they decide what to do in the coming years. Kind of a similar situation to the transition to IWI in the Uruwera's one would think although they individually as Iwi will make up their mind how to handle things going forward regarding access and terms of use.

That's all I have for now I'll let you all know more as / when it comes to hand.

Regards
    Pengy likes this.

Cheers for the info
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Hello, taking my other half into Te Miro next month as we got a ballot, will be her first time on Fallow. Just wanted to know if anyone had any luck there last year? also what is access like and any recommendations on accommodation down there?

Hi CD, do they inform you if you dont win a ballot.......or is there just that 'hori' wind blowing through your head like in 'Once for Warriors'.......?
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by alanimal View Post
    Hello, taking my other half into Te Miro next month as we got a ballot, will be her first time on Fallow. Just wanted to know if anyone had any luck there last year? also what is access like and any recommendations on accommodation down there?
    PM me Alan with which one(s) you got. I'll see if I can help.

OK - Everyone should have their Ballot papers by now.

Looks like they did offer the Te Tapui A after all as I ended up with getting this in April - Nice.

Go out and buy some wetsuit booties or Soft Sandshoes everyone - cause its like Cornflakes in there !!! Having been over the walking track recently, but plenty of browse about and grasses for them to be nice and fat.

Huge thanks to Te Haua for sticking to the DOC system for this year, even though the transition got moved up - and even more for offering Te Tapui A block an option to accommodate the hunter demand.

The guys who have been spot lighting the farm land at Eastern end of the A block have been seeing very few animals and think the animals have moved more to the South Western end of B block. Even they say they hammered it a bit hard and spoilt it for themselves.

I got my ballot for B as I'd hoped for. Went for an unarmed recce on Sunday, you're not kidding when you say cornflakes.

Fun times!

Name:  IMG_2142.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  256.6 KB

Lost For Time
    A block & Te Miro for me, Need more than just a little rain, Man it's dry in there.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

I have Block A in march for the 1st time and Block B in april (my normal block), numbers in block B appeared very down last year compared to prevous years so thought I would give A a go this year.

not so crispy in there right now,and plenty of sign around certain areas. one wallow even has mud in it.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Yup, found heaps of sign but no animals. The rain certainly helped out. How are those that have been in so far gotten on?