Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Upper Caples Block July

Upper Caples Block July

Hi All,

Im pretty new to fallow hunting and I am absolutely over the moon I have got the Upper Caples block from July 1 to July 5. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience in that block and the best way to approach it? High bush, low bush, sit on clearings, a mixture of all, sunny side, shady side, etc

Both me and my mate will be having our 30th birthdays up there so we decided to fly in to Kay Creek hut using Glenorchy Helicopters. It seems like only one company has the rights to land at Upper Caples Hut which is a bit of crock of shit because they are very expensive due to having to fly from Queenstown Airport. Anyway, any advice, tips or old yarns would be appreciated!
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Take a pocket full of smallish fencing Staples with you for the bunks,(beech poles and Hessian sacks. Last time I was in there they weren't in very good nick. Was a while ago now tho, there was an axe there too to knock them in with.
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

It will be a VERY COLD PLACE,where the sun will shine, so will the ghosting fallow deer.Enjoy yr trip.

Gkp
    G'day Grant. Its not too far to walk if you are worried about cost of flying. You could always fly in and walk out to cut the cost in half.
    You don't need to wake up early to hunt fallow, just aim for inversion layer were there is no frost. Probably between 1200 - 1600 meters mid winter. The bucks may well be on the cold side of the valley and hinds on sunny slips.
    You will figure it out. Good red numbers up higher as well.
    Have a good time!

Kay Creek Hut is positioned in a truly beautiful location and the hut has a lot of character... although its not very big and you're unlikely to get much sun at this time of the year so I hope you have a good sleeping bag. I'm pretty certain you'll really enjoy yourself in there and I'd be surprised if you don't end up shooting something for the pot. A mate missed out on shooting a really nice Red 10-pointer in there last season and I've not heard of anyone catching up with it since so you might be lucky this year.

You'll probably find it necessary to get up into the scree slopes of Death Valley or the sunny eastern slopes of Kay Creek, further up from the hut. I doubt very much you'll find much in the bush south of the hut but if you have time you could go for a morning walk downstream and check out a couple of the slips either side of Kay Creek. It's mainly Red in there... at least I've not seen any Fallow anyhow... but some good advice from Gkp above.

Good luck and make sure you post your story with a few photos once you get back.
    Last edited by planenutz; 30-05-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

glenorchy helos are good guys who wont rip you off,from my experience...and plurry great pilots to boot....
    take your thermal undergarments...polarfleece and lots of it....it can be plurry cold in that bit of the country...small square of closedcell foan mat to park your bum on while using good binos.take camera fo memories...mouse trap or two just incase hut is infested...seen it in there.

As above, it'll be chilly! The deer will be out enjoying the sunshine, so take ya puffy jacket and glass from the dark side. Lovely country, you'll enjoy it.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Thanks for all of the great advice! Im not too worried about the chopper, the glenorchy team seem like a good outfit. I just think its unfair they are not allowed to land further in.

It sounds like any temp abouve zero will be a bonus! Cant wait to get in there!
    @planenutz thanks heaps for the heads up on the reds floating around.

And ill be sure to add mouse traps and a foam seat to the gear list!
    57jl and planenutz like this.

We’ll be in the Greenstone late June, hunt above the frost line, take warm gear, enjoy
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Also, I will make sure I follow up and post pictures of the trip

@kidmac42 Thanks. It looks like have done some work on Kay Creek and added mattresses and a concrete floor.
    https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queens...ight-use-again

FYI the only Helicopter company that can Land at Upper Caples is Glacier Southern Lakes. This is because the land is owned by Ngai Tahu and I think Glacier Southern Lakes is also owned by Ngai Tahu. The quote was about $3500 to fly in there from Queenstown Airport.

$3,500 for both ways? Where do they drop you?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Gkp
    $3500 is about right for a return trip in a squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Grantn View Post
    FYI the only Helicopter company that can Land at Upper Caples is Glacier Southern Lakes. This is because the land is owned by Ngai Tahu and I think Glacier Southern Lakes is also owned by Ngai Tahu. The quote was about $3500 to fly in there from Queenstown Airport.

Fark! The mailboat from Queenstown to Elfin Bay jetty was $5!

And that was for a return journey!
    outdoorlad and ANOTHERHUNTER like this.