Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mimms2
  • 1 Post By bang
  • 1 Post By Ftx325
  • 1 Post By tekaihangafarm
  • 1 Post By JessicaChen

Thread: Velvet Skull-Acetone to finish velvet

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Whanganui
    Posts
    3

    Velvet Skull-Acetone to finish velvet

    Hi there,

    I have a hard velvet Fallow skull,i have skun it,bled the tips and let dry out,all velvet is in tact. I watched a tutorial and the guy painted/drenched his velvet with acetone to dry cure i suppose you could call it,then brushed up the hairs and let dry! Has anyone else tried this method?
    He Also wrapped the head in a type of glad wrap, zip tied the coronet and then put tin foil on antlers,then boiled the skull to clean it up further. Has anyone tried this method also?
    Cheers.

  2. #2
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,550
    Can't help you with experience on velvet, but acetone will absorb water, and evaporate quickly. Not sure if drying out the outer layer fast would be a good thing or not for velvet/ antler.

    Boiling skulls is a fairly tried and true method, the tinfoil would be to protect the velvet.

    Adding salt or bleach to the water will whiten them quicker but bleach will make it brittle, might not be such an issue for an indoor mount you're going to finish with some kind of oil/varnish, but if it's going to rattle round the shed or weather then I'd stay away from bleach.

    The other method, and my preferred, because I'm in to minimum input for maximum output, and not in a hurry, is to bury the head in sand, preferably already infested with ants. They'll clean it up in a matter of months, get all the meat out the nooks and crannys and it comes up a natural white.
    tekaihangafarm likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    147
    I also cant answer your question about velvet, but just to elaborate on above advice. You cannot use chlorine bleach on it, but peroxide bleach is fine. Burying skulls in my experience will stain the skull and loosen up the plates, would not recommend unless you just want to bung it on your garage or fence or something.
    tekaihangafarm likes this.

  4. #4
    Bubba...? Ftx325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    2,334
    I used formaldehyde I think it was on my velvet antlers . Kills off any bacteria and prevents rot .
    Just brushed it on . Was how I was told to do it 30 yrs ago.... Unfortunately I no longer have those antlers but were still looking good 10 yrs later...
    Might be worth a call to a taxidermist for advice ?
    tekaihangafarm likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Whanganui
    Posts
    3
    Great thanks< ill let you all know how I get on for future reference for anyone else wanting to do it!
    piwakawaka likes this.

  6. #6
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by bang View Post
    I also cant answer your question about velvet, but just to elaborate on above advice. You cannot use chlorine bleach on it, but peroxide bleach is fine. Burying skulls in my experience will stain the skull and loosen up the plates, would not recommend unless you just want to bung it on your garage or fence or something.
    I'll wander out and take a pic some day. Clean sand, no staining, white skull.
    Interesting to know about the peroxide bleach, yeah I was meaning chlorine/janola...
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  7. #7
    Still learning JessicaChen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    278
    https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/367018/
    On this forum post someone says to use alcohol , then borax, then alcohol... or something like that.
    https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/c...t-deer-antlers
    On this website they say they use formaldehyde.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I used formaldehyde I think it was on my velvet antlers . Kills off any bacteria and prevents rot .
    Just brushed it on . Was how I was told to do it 30 yrs ago.... Unfortunately I no longer have those antlers but were still looking good 10 yrs later...
    Might be worth a call to a taxidermist for advice ?
    Formaldehyde is probably the best way to go but i don't think it is an easy chemical to get, is it? Id love to get some to wet preserve small things.

    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post

    Adding salt or bleach to the water will whiten them quicker but bleach will make it brittle, might not be such an issue for an indoor mount you're going to finish with some kind of oil/varnish, but if it's going to rattle round the shed or weather then I'd stay away from bleach.
    Id stay away from bleach. Hydrogen peroxide is good, does the job very well and does not ruin the bone as much as bleach does. Just need a tiny bit.
    Last edited by JessicaChen; 04-05-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    tekaihangafarm likes this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Whanganui
    Posts
    3
    Great thanks. I have spoken with a taxidermist and acetone seems to be the safest option as formaldehyde is a little potent and not nice to work with. Apparently acetone should give similar results.

  9. #9
    Member hunterAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by tekaihangafarm View Post
    Hi there,

    I have a hard velvet Fallow skull,i have skun it,bled the tips and let dry out,all velvet is in tact. I watched a tutorial and the guy painted/drenched his velvet with acetone to dry cure i suppose you could call it,then brushed up the hairs and let dry! Has anyone else tried this method?
    He Also wrapped the head in a type of glad wrap, zip tied the coronet and then put tin foil on antlers,then boiled the skull to clean it up further. Has anyone tried this method also?
    Cheers.
    I have tried it with velvet roe bucks. Only that I used ethanol instead of acetone. Worked great. You might also want to apply an insectiside to keep bugs off.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Stripping velvet
    By Samsamdjt in forum Hunting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-01-2021, 02:34 PM
  2. VELVET
    By Marty Henry in forum Hunting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 05:18 PM
  3. where can you sell velvet?
    By PerazziSC3 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
  4. Velvet axis
    By linyera in forum Hunting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-09-2013, 02:27 PM
  5. What to do with antlers in velvet??
    By SiB in forum Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!