Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Waioeka Gorge

Question Waioeka Gorge

Hey guys,

Looking to spend a few days in Opotiki in a few weeks time. Have hunted off one part of the Waioeka gorge when I was young to no avail, and haven't been back since. Any public land that you could point me in the right direction of would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Rusky.

There's heaps of places. Just reference the NZ Hunting Spot X books. Plenty of public land with animals for a fit hunter around that neck of the woods.

Hot barrels!
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

Theres a private block in there too all free range no fences 60buks a nite I think, fair numbers. Mean huts and hot showers. Papariki I think pm me if your interested ill find the contact

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Hunt4life likes this.

Thanks for the tip Rifleman. I've looked at those Spot X books, but thought it might be a load of bollocks, much like the fishing Spot X books. At least it will have me going in the right direction though.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Plenty of places. Nothing wrong with Spot X locations either.
    Just remember the further away from the easily accessed tracks and huts, the better the hunting.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Look up old tauranga swing bridge nice track there mate

Those books are a good place to start but you can't beat a yarn or two with a friendly local, at the pub, service station, dairy etc - they will note the better places to have a poke around. I have found fellow kiwis hunters, in general, are happy to share their local knowledge. As hunters, we know that being pointed in a good direction is only half the equation: you got to have a bit of luck too when it comes to crossing paths with the animals we seek.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

Quote Originally Posted by rookiesniper View Post
    Look up old tauranga swing bridge nice track there mate
    Thats where I went when I was young!

Ive been up there a few times,i was born and bred whakatane and saw alot of bush around the opotiki area,havent been up there for a few years,some good bush there aye,i know another spot off otara road just out of opotiki heading toward waioeka,alot of animals there...good rusa cuntry

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Looks good Pengy. Do you know if that's $75 per head or for the cabin?

Pretty sure it is per head Rusky, but you get the whole block to yourself apparently. Mate reckons it is great. I emailed the people that run it and this was the reply;

Hi Tim
    The map is NZMS 260 series Motu X16. Paparangi is about 17km downstream of Motu township on the true left.
    A rough idea of available dates are:
    May – 27-29
    June – Mon-Thurs most weeks are available – all weekends gone.
    July – just first 2 Mon-Thurs available.
    Aug – 1st, 3rd and 4th weekends gone only.
    Sept – 1-11 available.
    Oct – most Mon-Thurs available
    Nov – 18-21 free.
    Does that help? Feel free to ring for more info. 06 8635809
    fiona

It is per head. Ive been in onve and its a great setup the only issue is I was there the following week after a pighunter and his dogs had been through and animals were a little scarce , still there though you had to work for them. Its second gen regrowth so pretty thick in saying that there are good slips up side creeks and you do get big clear areas under canopy and its bout a 20 minute walk through to ruakumara park .

Ah mean im going there in September. That bit NZMS 260 series Motu X16 is fucking useless, cant even convert that into a point on the map.
    If anyone does have the GPS marks for the Hut that would be great.

Fiona charges 5 bucks for a lamanate copy of the area and boundries.