Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Waipakihi Labour Weekend

Waipakihi Labour Weekend

Afternoon Team.

Thinking about an excursion over the long weekend into the Waipakihi hut - never been that side of the Kaimanawas before but shot a fair few from Clements / Oamaru / Cascade side.

Thinking going Umakarikari --> Waipakihi hut rather than walking up the river , weather isn't looking the best.

Any top tips / suggestions / tricks for young players?

Also wondering what range you lads usually shoot in there , as that'll be the deciding factor between whether I bring the .45/70 or the 8x57.

Cheers Team

if the weather is good the urchin/umakarikari is fine. River has a lot of crossings and is pretty thick going.
    However it'd be prudent to carry a decent supply of water as you have to drop down quite a lot to find it depending on the time of year.

As for caliber it depends on the time of year. there is a lot of bush edge to glass and the bush can be quite thick. I'd personally use the 8mm, there is a sika hunting tips pdf floating around google from NZGUNS about waipakihi.

im picking auckland and hamilton will be out of lockup by then so take a fly or tent as the hut might be packed......still be a it early for them to be out and about the tops maybe moving up and down to the valley from halfway in the cover.....i'd take the 8mm just a bit more legs if you got it set up right

was just thinking another option in that area is to go up over the urchin theres a small campsite on the left before you break out onto the tops and from there you can drop down to the valley/river flats which should be starting to get some spring growth

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    was just thinking another option in that area is to go up over the urchin theres a small campsite on the left before you break out onto the tops and from there you can drop down to the valley/river flats which should be starting to get some spring growth
    I've crashed a couple times in that campsite - it's a goodun.

Last time i was up there it was late summer. Got ridiculously hot up on urchin and a bloody waste of time being on the tops.

Might take that advice though - avoid the hut and hunt the valleys in the AM and PM
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    im picking auckland and hamilton will be out of lockup
    I think you might need to see a doctor as your sounding delusional
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Well you won't need your tent, no Jaffas or Mooloo's allowed.

Yeah looked at that.

Ah well spent a bit of time in that area in the same weather.

bahahah
    300CALMAN and Mohawk .308 like this.

river flats near thunderbolt would be worth a nudge if you have time
    Shearer likes this.

Umakarikari is an absolute dog when weather is bad. Hunted it a lot over the years and rarely done any good in the rain- its very exposed and most of the bush around the tops is very dense and extremely hard to hunt.. The opposite is true when its good weather and IMO a great spring and roar spot

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    your sounding delusional
    i probably am .... ive been off work for a month already dont even know what day of the week it is let alone when the next long weekend is.....

Quote Originally Posted by Masperjay View Post
    Yeah looked at that.

Ah well spent a bit of time in that area in the same weather.

bahahah
    Yes well it can get worse than Waiouru up there remember it's got a bit of altitude so it gets even colder. I will never forget frightening the crap out of some trampers at the Waipakihi hut, arriving at 1:30 am in shite weather. They thought we were madmen.

I had more luck on the river flats than the tops but if you are going to hunt the tops take the 8mm there are some definitely long shots up there (far to far for my SKS!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Ya have to feel for the Aucklanders, it’s up there with some of the longest lockdowns in the world. There must be so many businesses that will go broke under these current restrictions.
    Ha apparently we are allowed to book holidays for Christmas. How bloody patronising.

To be honest I would be happier if the kids could just attend school, online learning is a very sad replacement.

I was up Urchin for a look on Saturday. Still a bit early for the tops, very little food and no sign in the open at all. Frost and some snow still in the shaded spots, so take a jersey...

Name:  20211016_083424.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  3.99 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    I was up Urchin for a look on Saturday. Still a bit early for the tops, very little food and no sign in the open at all. Frost and some snow still in the shaded spots, so take a jersey...

Attachment 181601
    Nice photo