Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Wallabies

Wallabies

Just looking for a bit of info , not anyone's spots.

I'm located on 73 just before Arthur's pass and wanted to take a day trip wallabye hunting, not shy of a good drive for something I've not experienced a whole lot of in NZ. Where would be the closest place, I drove to the east entrance to the hunter hills in Waimate before but I chose a place full of trampers and wasn't too happy hunting there.

I'll be carrying a .308 being my only public hunting land hunting rifle, is this a bit overkill or with head shots and such it be ok... I'm intending on eating the meat.... Something I've never done either.

Any tips are welcome it's not a type of hunting I'm familiar with at all.

Thanks

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1991 View Post
    Just looking for a bit of info , not anyone's spots.

I'm located on 73 just before Arthur's pass and wanted to take a day trip wallabye hunting, not shy of a good drive for something I've not experienced a whole lot of in NZ. Where would be the closest place, I drove to the east entrance to the hunter hills in Waimate before but I chose a place full of trampers and wasn't too happy hunting there.

I'll be carrying a .308 being my only public hunting land hunting rifle, is this a bit overkill or with head shots and such it be ok... I'm intending on eating the meat.... Something I've never done either.

Any tips are welcome it's not a type of hunting I'm familiar with at all.

Thanks
    Given your location am assuming you know your way about Arthurs, so why not offer to trade a day out in an area you are familiar with in exchange for a day out snotting hoppers in an area someone else knows. Unless you are the international super sniper, body shoot and take the rear wheels for the slow cooker.
    Trout, Micky Duck and inozz like this.

The meat is definitely good to eat. I've had roast leg, steaks, and just tonight had a very rich wallaby stew

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....4/#post1131574
    Cordite likes this.

Drive up the track to the repeater on Mt Studholme above Waimate. Plenty up around there. Some good long shots across gullies so your 308 will get a good workout.
    bumblefoot likes this.

and I will say DONT drive up there LOL.....IF YOU WANT TO WALK a couple of hours I can point you in right direction.....studholm gets hounded A LOT and its not unusual to see/hear 6-8-10 vechiles heading up there at same time with resulting barrages at rocks and anything that hops.
    308 is fine...body shoot and take back legs and tails for tucker...steak is good if bland,older animals might be strong but young stuff is bland like lamb...tails make awesome casserole...find oxtail recipe and go from there.

Dont worry about head shots. Hit the chest which is still not large. Almost all the meat is below the rib cage so meat damage from a lung shot is not as great as with a deer/ goat etc....
    Cordite and Ronin007 like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and I will say DONT drive up there LOL.....IF YOU WANT TO WALK a couple of hours I can point you in right direction.....studholm gets hounded A LOT and its not unusual to see/hear 6-8-10 vechiles heading up there at same time with resulting barrages at rocks and anything that hops.
    308 is fine...body shoot and take back legs and tails for tucker...steak is good if bland,older animals might be strong but young stuff is bland like lamb...tails make awesome casserole...find oxtail recipe and go from there.
    Is it the same deal further back towards my cecil?

H.M
    I will pm you msg i sent to another couple members if i can find it. Mt stud is fine just gotta know where and when to look.

walk half n hour OFF the track and things change considerably....get down to scruby edges.

Cheers for that, will have to get down to take a look

Any public land up the Hakamatera to the top and beyond all the way to the Macaulys hold bucket loads of Wallabies. There are a couple of fresh dead wallabies almost every day on the Cave to Tekapo almost every day to give you an axis to look at for which public land. Private too naturally. Heres a typical spot that offers real highland wallaby shooting. https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...nt/kirkliston/

Some big 1080 ops coming up targeting wallaby. Over 40000 hec
    tares planned in the next year or so so full your buckets.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bring 200rds not two packets of 20 ammo.
    headcase and Marty Henry like this.

Nothing like a good old ''bomb up"".
    matagouri likes this.

Finally about to get down and go for a walk around. Going to head up Mt studholme and walk around ridge towards my Cecil. Going in for 2 nights and will camp as we go. Anyone got any big things to look out for. I imagine I'll be dropping pack and heading into the gullys a fair bit

PM Inbound