Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dundee

Thread: wallaby hunting

wallaby hunting

Hi all my name is stuart i live in ashburton just have a few questions im new to this site and just have a few questions about wallaby hunting any info would be great .
    I have my Dad comming down at xmas time and he has always wanted to shoot a wallaby me being new to the area and not knowing much where would be a good place to take him we dont use dogs so will be using rifles and what would be a good caliber i use a 270 and a 243 would these do. I have emailed doc but they aint got back to me so thought i would ask on here thank you for your time.

Stuart

Hi Cavey.
    First off, welcome. Wallabies - well plenty around Waimate area though the DOC areas have plenty of pressure. Look up hunting in DOC area, some stations are mentioned in the hunter hills area. Ring DOC Geraldine and ask for those station's contact details. Then ring the stations. About 6pm is a good time when most station managers will be at home for some tea.

Best time is early morning or evening. If you're not on DOC land, some stations will let you spotlight for them. You can shoot them with shotguns and 22mag on private land at night. 243 is a good caliber and a lot cheaper than a 270 for wallabies.

ex-rabbitter on here can help lots more than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Hi Cavey.
    First off, welcome. Wallabies - well plenty around Waimate area though the DOC areas have plenty of pressure. Look up hunting in DOC area, some stations are mentioned in the hunter hills area. Ring DOC Geraldine and ask for those station's contact details. Then ring the stations. About 6pm is a good time when most station managers will be at home for some tea.

Best time is early morning or evening. If you're not on DOC land, some stations will let you spotlight for them. You can shoot them with shotguns and 22mag on private land at night. 243 is a good caliber and a lot cheaper than a 270 for wallabies.

Thanks scottrods for the info i will get in touch with doc and see what they say.

thanks Cavey

Gidday Stuart
    Yeah Scottrods is on the money , if you get stuck , I can get you a phone number or two for you to ring. Evening and after dark is the time to get them. They good fun . .
    Member of NZPHGA , SCINZ

Quote Originally Posted by cavey View Post
    Hi all my name is stuart i live in ashburton just have a few questions im new to this site and just have a few questions about wallaby hunting any info would be great .
    I have my Dad comming down at xmas time and he has always wanted to shoot a wallaby me being new to the area and not knowing much where would be a good place to take him we dont use dogs so will be using rifles and what would be a good caliber i use a 270 and a 243 would these do. I have emailed doc but they aint got back to me so thought i would ask on here thank you for your time.

Stuart
    Stravon Station would be worth a look or try O'Rourkes taxidermy down there worth a crack worked for me

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...er-hills-2465/
    cavey likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Aoraki Guided Hunts View Post
    Gidday Stuart
    Yeah Scottrods is on the money , if you get stuck , I can get you a phone number or two for you to ring. Evening and after dark is the time to get them. They good fun . .
    Thanks for the info yeah i cant wait to have a go at them

[QUOTE=Dundee;60199]Stravon Station would be worth a look or try O'Rourkes taxidermy down there worth a crack worked for me

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...er-hills-2465/[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info Dundee

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Hi Cavey.

Have sent d.o.c an email as im normally working awy from phone coverage during the day still no reply thought they would be keen to give out info still i will wait and see or take a day off next week and go down in person will let you know how i get on

Thanks stuart