Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Wannabe Hunter from Nelson - learning to hunt?

Aly

Smile Wannabe Hunter from Nelson - learning to hunt?

G'day all,

I'm a young 19 year old girl currently living in Nelson, grew up country and I have a great love for tramping and getting out into the outdoors, and I'm pretty keen to learn how to hunt so I can really start being a true back country kiwi

Posting this in case any other younger hunters around here are willing to let me tag along a trip or two - or join any groups - so I can pick up some knowledge and experience so I can stop looking so blank-faced when I look at a gun, and get to know about various terrain and game (big or small) around here.

I've already applied to hear about HUNTS, and hope to sign up some bushcraft courses and all that, but ya know sometimes it's best to learn from a couple of people out there. I plan to join hunting clubs at Uni next year, but most still ask for you to know a thing or two before you get in Plus I'm not exactly someone who can fork out big bucks to guided hunts just to learn! I'm good for fuel and food haha

I'm already an avid tramper - so I have a pack, good boots, gear and all that!
    So if you're willing to let me tag along, or know of anyone, let me know. Will be around for quite some months.

In other news, if you're not from Nelson care to share some tips/advice/knowledge on this forum for a *complete* newbie gal? Ya know gun models/terms don't come easy to me so anyone who wants to teach be the basics I'm happy to hear

Cheers!

welcome

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Again welcome Aly.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome Aly ,you could bail VC up might be hard to find a better teacher
    Gun control means using both hands

Ejected
    Like chris said, if Veitnamcam hasn't PM'd you already he's the man to bribe with a box of beer or 3. By all accounts the forum good cunt and knows what he is doing.

He seems to always get put forward as the guide for tours of Nelson hunting, sorry Cam

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Like chris said, if Veitnamcam hasn't PM'd you already he's the man to bribe with a box of beer or 3. By all accounts the forum good cunt and knows what he is doing.

He seems to always get put forward as the guide for tours of Nelson hunting, sorry Cam
    Sounds like some good reviews!

Ejected
    Do you currently have a firearms licence and/or rifle? If you troll your way through this forum you will find lots of reviews and recommendations of brands and calibers etc, good luck sifting through it all though and don't take it all as gospel (different people=different opinions).

I'm sure VC will jump at the chance having a young girl tagging along Welcome Aly
    Toby, BRADS and Nibblet like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Do you currently have a firearms licence and/or rifle? If you troll your way through this forum you will find lots of reviews and recommendations of brands and calibers etc, good luck sifting through it all though and don't take it all as gospel (different people=different opinions).
    I don't have either, hoping to eventually end up with both!
    Different opinions are pretty good because you can hear both sides - makes for good reads!

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I'm sure VC will jump at the chance having a young girl tagging along Welcome Aly
    Haha, cheers!

A good place to start is read threw all the trip reports/storys in the magazine section,Im sure you will pick out plenty of information to help get you started.

I would take you out but avid trampers scare me, they walk too far and too fast
    Pengy and PERRISCICABA like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    A good place to start is read threw all the trip reports/storys in the magazine section,Im sure you will pick out plenty of information to help get you started.

Bullshit VC ya wife has given ya the hard word?
    Nibblet, Dman and Aly like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

Okay sweet I'll check it out haha well chuck a big pack and hunting gear on I'm pretty sure I'd slow down

Good that you keen and want to get out there, beats sitting at home. If you get struck(im sure you wont) i may be able to take you for a bush stalk for a deer, we at least see sign ... . Good luck
    veitnamcam likes this.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Good that you keen and want to get out there, beats sitting at home. If you get struck(im sure you wont) i may be able to take you for a bush stalk for a deer, we at least see sign ... . Good luck
    Be alert Aly being 'struck' can be a life changing event. It happened to me once, next thing I wakes up and I have got a wife and two kids.
    gadgetman, Danny and Aly like this.