Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: We still hunting the Uruweras ?

We still hunting the Uruweras ?

Heading home for a few days and was gonna plan a trip into the Uruweras. Thoughts ?? Just trying to put a feed on the table

They said nothing would change, when the gov handed back the park.....yea right... Be prepared to pay for a hunting permit.. And true to form, it will be poorly managed, and the funds will be wasted, and handed to whanau members. Just check out wot they did in the far north... Pretty sad really.
    sako75 and blake like this.

What they gona do? aunty gona come down from the whare and give you the jandal?

Yeah my thoughts exactly, been hitting the spots for 10 + years now, Apparently in the finer details of the paper work for national parks you can't charge for public use. But I guess we will watch this space,

Keep out of Whirinaki/Minganui unless you have contacts..You stand the risk of losing your vehicle, sorry forgot where you parked it. Your rifle and any animals you may have. Has been happening on and off for about the last 10 years

sturg4
    Keep out of Ruatoki and Waimana. You risk losing the same as above, plus your virginity and your life. This has as been happening since forever.

Usually head into Minganui, only had the ute broken into once in 15+ years,

Don't you go blaming the locals down there it is mostly other hunters doing that shit.
    And from what I under stand Tuhoe aren't happy about the shit going on but apportion blame where due not where it suits you to.
    Spook and northdude like this.
    Gun control means using both hands

Pressure is mounting in surrounding areas too, stories are beginning to surface of farmers around the greater Hawkes Bay and Bay of Plenty where vehicles have been damaged as a result of "poachers" (hunters without permission) have been shooting. I've been directly informed by a farmer that they have to increase security to protect thsir business. It will continue to get worse for some time and I'm afraid people will get hurt.

i have mates that live up the end of ruatoki valley and allways asking me to come up for a hunt,have been up there a few times and wont stop going,never had any damage to vehicles or any other trouble?

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiesniper View Post
    i have mates that live up the end of ruatoki valley and allways asking me to come up for a hunt,have been up there a few times and wont stop going,never had any damage to vehicles or any other trouble?
    Be their guest then. I wont try to talk you out of it. I have owned property near these Northern axis points since 89 90 and have lived there for much of that time. You could call me a local.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Don't you go blaming the locals down there it is mostly other hunters doing that shit.
    And from what I under stand Tuhoe aren't happy about the shit going on but apportion blame where due not where it suits you to.
    Wrong. Blame the fucking locals alright!

I'm not saying all of them are bad eggs but as a person who knows a few guys up there they aren't afraid to tell me what they have done to other guys cars and boats. They seem rather proud of the fact they have stolen shit and popped tyres.

The worst part is he is happy to tell anyone who wants to listen to him
    DanS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Usually head into Minganui, only had the ute broken into once in 15+ years,
    I hunt there, never had any problems with the locals.....touchwood....
    DanS likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've lived and worked in the Urewera. The "other hunters" are mostly locals and proud of the shit they cause and happily boast about it Especially if hunters get too close to their patches. Their permit system only applies to outsiders while the locals roam at random through the bush. I stopped hunting there when I almost blew an un permitted local away during the roar who was stalking me. I put a round in the air. Dumb B******d nearly died of fright. Since then he has confined himself to pig hunting from his truck.

A few years back, I was just heading back to our wagon and campsite, which was up an old skid track. Heard people by the wagon, so watched these guys through my scope, going through all of our stuff, checking out the vehicle etc. That was about 16 years ago - have heard loads of stories of people's catch, rifles and vehicles being taken off them by the locals. Wouldn't trust them with a barge pole. Better places to hunt anyways. So much for nothing changing - they're breaching the agreement, pity the govt are a bunch of soft coks that will just let them get away with it