Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Weatherby 300 WSM

Weatherby 300 WSM

Hey guys,

Im looking at buying my first rifle which I intend to use for deer hunting and other large game. I have being offered a Weatherby 300wsm and was wondering if you guys have any feedback or knowledge of this rifle or even any potential better options?

Cheers in advance
    DanS likes this.

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    Dunno much about the rifle sorry, but have you don't much shooting before? A 300WSM has a big bang, and decent recoil too.. You sure as hell do not want to develop a flinch when starting to shoot..

I personally think you'd be better off with a smaller calibre, a non magnum I would think..
    DanS and Cspence like this.
    #BallisticFists

Nah not really. Hunted for roughly only a year with a 303. Cheers for the advice

What sort of caliber would you recommend?

Cheers woody

I'm shooting a 22-250 for my first rifle Cspence. It has done the damage so far. Quite a small projectile but it travels super quick apparently, which might make up for the lack in size maybe. Not sure on that actually. But no animal I've shot has run more than ten meters before it figured out it was dead anyway (including deer). Something to think about. Good luck
    Cspence likes this.

All depends what sort of hunting/shooting you intend to do. The 300WSM Will do everything you will ever need to in NZ and more, but might be over kill if you only intend on slogging through the bush to beat a stag over the head with it.
    Cspence likes this.

Don,t buy a cannon unless you are going to put it to use.
    As lost has said ,Develop a flinch and its a bugger of a monkey to get off your back.
    Get something mid size and spend alot of time at the range getting it right and with that comes a cost .
    Check out the price of ammo on all calibres and see what I mean.
    You don,t want to be counting shots due to price of bullets as it well cost you in missed or wounded animals .
    Also if you are not reloading its a bugger to spend time and ammo on paper then to walk into a shop and find the only ammo available is $95 for 20 shots and not what your gun is zero in on.
    Love walking my gun

Plus 1 for zamkiwi, easiest way to develop bad habits is to be afraid of firing the thing.
    308 is probably hard to beat, common calibre, ammunition is pretty much everywhere, and theres nothing in NZ it wont stop from rabbits to wild cattle. Well maybe not ideal for rabbits it can.
    Cspence likes this.

Thanks for all the info guys. And yeah I reckon I might leave the rabbits for the 22 haha

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    Another thing to consider is if you will be buying ammo off the shelf.. If yes, then have a gander at prices of ammo.. I reload so I'm not sure, but I THINK there will a big difference in price in say a 308 and 300WSM.. Probably a bit "generic" but I'd think something along the lines of a 308, 7/08, 6.5x55 would be an ideal start..

There's nothing wrong with shooting small game with a 7RM with 162 Amax's or 110 TnT's though...
    Cspence likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Any caliber will drop animals from .223 through to the big stuff, as has been mentioned look for price, and shop for your needs.
    Cspence and Zamkiwi like this.
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
    What sort of caliber would you recommend?
    7mm08, 270, 308
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Good advice in here man. 300wsm is a lotta gun for a noobie, and alot more gun than you need unless you are going tops/LR