Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Beavis
  • 2 Post By EVILWAYZ
  • 2 Post By Beavis

Thread: Whangamomona Rd

Whangamomona Rd

Has any body had experiance hunting and four wheel driving down here? I'm keen to have a look this weekend on the way to Stratford. How far can you get down the road in a soft roader? I don't mind walking but it looks like you have to go a few k's down the road before you are allowed to start hunting going by the DOC map.

Cheers

You can drive the whole thing in a car. Only 12km of gravel. One sign said no hunting until 31 Oct because of Lambing. That was all i saw. Sorry also a bit late.

I think he means Whangamomona Rd from Whangamomona south along the Whangamomona River to Aotuhia.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

If you mean the Old Whangamomona Rd you definitely need a 4x4, although I recommend a quad or a trail bike due to wash outs (a few months ago now). The hunting is alright there, mainly goats, the odd pig.

Definitely need a decent 4x4, if it's been raining a soft roader won't even make it to the DOC boundary. I know from experience usually a few goats around.

I took my ute to the first bridge and turned back. Went back the next day and walked through the farm and down past the tunnels and out to the old holding paddocks and sheep dipping trenches. Was a great trip, really enjoyed it. I'll post some photos later.
    Ranal likes this.

Used to live the the general area. Drove into the Aotuhia end and got photos of the bridge to somewhere. Second son wasn't even one...he's thirteen now . It's a bit of a bucket list for me to do the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I was in there need a pretty serious off-roader with winch ect never really seen much in there worth shooting at tho a few stinkies is about all
    If theres lead in the air theres hope

Just some of what to expect and this ain’t the worst of it
    Ranal and A330driver like this.
    If theres lead in the air theres hope

Can't load pics now for some reason. But yea anyway there is a bit not far in that looks impassable now to anything other than a quad bike. Needs a bit of work done on it. I guess there are guys who still get through it but no way I would attempt it. Its a good 40m drop straight into the river if you start sledging.

About this time last year i walked in aprox 10 km with some mates from the down stream end. Climbed upto the ridge top to the SW. got some goats. Saw more on the way out on the track. Took my young dog, would not recommend that due to the drop offs into the ravines. Managed to get bluffed coming back down and had to climb up and around before having a second go at dropping down to the road.
    road is really best for MTB's, quads and serious (but light) 4x4 in groups. I say light due to some of the bridges.
    Dam cold as well, had rain then it froze on the fly, then rained and dripped off on to us then it froze again.
    Zane

It's pretty extreme country. I love it though. My father, and his father, used to muster and farm along that road. My dad built some of the fences that are now over grown and rotting away. My grandfather farmed both sides of the river. My dad recognised a lot of the places in my photos, he wants to go back with me for a look as it's been decades since he was there.
    tiroatedson and Mooseman like this.

Walked into Aotuhia from 'the other end' ( Makahu Rd) in 1976.

Bridge to Somewhere etc.......almost looks the same now, yet Lands and Survey piled into there redeveloping it in the early 1980's.