Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WillM

Thread: Whanganui bow hunting Fallow

Whanganui bow hunting Fallow

Just arrived in whanganui last night with my bow, found some good areas in the park for hunting reds but id really like to find a little 2 or 3 year old fallow buck. Not looking to steal anyones trophy they have been eyeing up, just wanting to get my first fallow buck and put a bit of meat in the freezer. It seems like public land fallow are hard to come by so I'd be willing to pitch a bit of cash or a case to someone with private land that would let me have a go on their farm. Also would be super keen to hunt with a local if someone is wanting a hunting partner!

Thanks, Dain.

Hi Dain,

Fellow bow-hunter here. Bow hunters aren't as active as the boom-stick crowd on the forum so you may not get as many responses as you want.

Paid blocks are crisp and professional...you'll be paying a premium for the guide and accommodation etc...it would be a good experience for you if you were willing to spend the money (Google "paid hunting blocks NZ" and you'll see the costs ~$500 starting point), but the "flip you a case or cash" type places you want just don't exist.

Most the guys on the forum are super open to sharing with people...the trick seems to be in how you ask. I've seen guys scolded and chewed out for asking, "where are your hunting spots? Can you show me?" and I've seen guys invited out and offered priceless information for asking stuff like, "I'm new/keen to learn and am wondering where to start" or, "planning on a hunt in xyz forest, what are some tips to increase my chances?"

Farmers don't hang out here waiting to let every and any old forum-poster onto their property...that connection and relationship will have to be built in person (door knocking) if that's the way you want to go.

If you make it down to Wellington send me a DM...happy to have another bowman around.

Cheers,
    Will.
    Dainer likes this.

Call in to some of the hunting stores in Whanganui, and the DoC office, all of them should help you out, especially if you spend some coin.
    More meplat, more better.