Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: What do kaimai's deer eat?

What do kaimai's deer eat?

Hi all.

I usually frequent the mangamuka hut off the train tuhi track which is south of the wairere falls.

There's a shit load of supple jack and ponga ferns and some form or flax grass. Kie kie was what some helpful old hunter called it I think.

But I have never really noticed any of the famed broadleaf or white wood or Coprosma related. It might be my untrained eyes not noticing them though.

I read a book called hunting smarter for big game by some Dutch fella. He reckoned walking relatively briskly in between the spots of good feed increase your chances of finding an animal. The problem is I can never seem to tell if I am in a good feed area.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Around there, I often come across them in the areas on broad leaved grass under open canopy. This isn't flax or kiekie - its about 30-40 cm high. I don't think they eat it but they like the areas.

They do seem to eat kiekie, which is a vine that has a 3-4 cm thick white stem with many circular grooves so it looks like a vacuum cleaner hose. It can grown in neck deep tangles or more but smaller versions can be waist tall like mini cabbage trees and on top of ridges deer like to lie up in them and you can see they do eat them.

The main tree you see browsed ids "broadleaf" Griselinia littoralis. It's uncommon to see actual leaves remaining below about 2m from the ground where deer can reach it but mature trees make a good supply of sprouts that the deer nibble away.
    veitnamcam and Russian 22. like this.

Thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Around there, I often come across them in the areas on broad leaved grass under open canopy. This isn't flax or kiekie - its about 30-40 cm high. I don't think they eat it but they like the areas.

They do seem to eat kiekie, which is a vine that has a 3-4 cm thick white stem with many circular grooves so it looks like a vacuum cleaner hose. It can grown in neck deep tangles or more but smaller versions can be waist tall like mini cabbage trees and on top of ridges deer like to lie up in them and you can see they do eat them.

The main tree you see browsed ids "broadleaf" Griselinia littoralis. It's uncommon to see actual leaves remaining below about 2m from the ground where deer can reach it but mature trees make a good supply of sprouts that the deer nibble away.

There are definite patches of broadleaf that they eat up there, also astelia and different large leaf coprosmas.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    There are definite patches of broadleaf that they eat up there, also astelia and different large leaf coprosmas.
    I just need to find them then!

Dirtyboots likes this.

They eat supple jack ends as well. And browse on about everything if it's shoots. They are pretty hard to pattern up there due to the flat terrain. They like the punga guts and areas that have that broad leaf grass

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    They eat supple jack ends as well. And browse on about everything if it's shoots. They are pretty hard to pattern up there due to the flat terrain. They like the punga guts and areas that have that broad leaf grass
    Thanks. I will have a look for a punga gut next time I am there

I have found they like to bed down in the ponga guts near food sources. On the other side of the range there is a fucktonne of 7 finger? if that's what its called.

northdude
    Is that where the inbreds are
    Pengy and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I have found they like to bed down in the ponga guts near food sources. On the other side of the range there is a fucktonne of 7 finger? if that's what its called.
    Seems like it.

I found a bed or two near a whole area full of the ponga ferns.

Yeah 5 finger and 7 finger. I only go Waikato side though. Too lazy to drive the extra 30 minutes to get to bay of plenty side hahaha

Yea there is broadleaf in there. You'll hardly ever find any leaves on the ground. I was once in there and found a bunch of mushrooms nibbled on and deer sleeping peacefully 20m away.

The main food source is normally on the northern side of faces which gets the most sun but is also the hardest to bush stalk.
    Sideshow and Russian 22. like this.

I found some clearings last time that had grass mowed down like a golf green and shit everywhere
    Russian 22. likes this.

THOSE MOTHER F$%KERS LIKE TO EAT LEAD SOUP.

That was some straight up ghetto shit.
    keneff likes this.
    Use enough gun

Don’t forget as well that the block borders farmland, if you venture down that hill side you’ll find game trails everywhere.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I think they call that one Pate or something like that similar to Five Finger.
    Gibo likes this.