Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What do you Say!!!

What do you Say!!!

Hi Guys

Just needed your suggestion and advice looking at the grouping in picture below. Re-Sighted in my 6.5 x 55 in the weekend. The 2 shots on the left are the the initial shot marks before re-algning the cross hair. I use a BSA 3-9x40 Scope

The 5 shots group in the centre is after alignment at 110-120m approx. The target was on the middle bullet catcher at Hutt Valley Deerstalkers Range. The target used was a darts board. The diameter of the inner black shot area is approx. 3 inches

Now was just wondering if this kind of grouping is good enough for deer hunting. I have done enough time hunting goats and learning the tricks so now have plans to go looking for the deers. Going out to a new spot x to look in places which holds them therefore trying to get as much info as possible from you senior members

Also if I can get advice if 6.5 x 55 is good for deer hunting and what are the range limitations of taking shots with it.

Cheers

Name:  20140215_150507.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  991.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by initiaz; 17-02-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    Hunt4life likes this.

I have always reckoned that if you can consistently hit a target the size of the end of a beer box at 100 metres from a standing position unaided, then you are good-to-go.
    kingstoncowboy and initiaz like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    While it is not the tightest of groups, you should certainly be confident when aiming at the heart / lung area
    initiaz likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I am no expert by a long way, but from what I have seen and heard, your 6.5 is more than adequate to hunt just about any game in NZ
    Hunt4life and initiaz like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

the 6.5 is fine for deer to 400m+

ebf
    Initiaz, if you can put 5 shots into a 3 inch diameter circle at 100m you should be more than ok for deer.

No problems with 6.5x55 for deer.

What ammo are you using? Assuming you are buying and not reloading...

About distance, I would not worry too much about it, 90% of the deer you are going to find in the bush will be no further than 100 to 200m max, most probably a lot closer Practise to consistently being able to hit a target the size of the kill zone of your intended species at longer distances. For a deer I would go with a circle of about 15cm diameter.
    Hunt4life and initiaz like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

6.5x55 is an awesome caliber and more than capable of dropping a full bodied stag. Nothing wrong with your groupings provided you are going for a shoulder shot (lungs and heart). Leave the headshot heroics for the more experienced shooters
    I have found the Federal Power-Shok (blue box) quite reliable and well suited to the older Carl Gustov and Husquvana rifles for accuracy

Initiaz - that sand mound is the 100m mark at HVDA range. If you are happy that you can consistently group at the 3inch mark then you will be good. To maximise your chances go for the HILAR shot. Good luck.Name:  14479d1379641417-neckshot-placement-image.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  714.4 KBName:  14480d1379641471-neckshot-placement-image.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  689.3 KB
    Ryan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Initiaz, if you can put 5 shots into a 3 inch diameter circle at 100m you should be more than ok for deer.

No problems with 6.5x55 for deer.

What ammo are you using? Assuming you are buying and not reloading...

About distance, I would not worry too much about it, 90% of the deer you are going to find in the bush will be no further than 100 to 200m max, most probably a lot closer Practise to consistently being able to hit a target the size of the kill zone of your intended species at longer distances. For a deer I would go with a circle of about 15cm diameter.
    Am using 139gr from hunting & fishing or sometimes from Petone gun shop.

Thanks for the heads up.. just feeling too excited for weekend to come now knowing its just monday today..

will do a solo over nighter this weekend. Deer o no deer is not a problem.. what will be fun is going out there and if luck creeps I should have my first deer certainly..

I have been trying to ask many of my mates (non hunters) to come along but seems non have any interest. I dont have a hunter mate as friend for now so will just go out myself instead of waiting to find 1..
    David likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Initiaz - that sand mound is the 100m mark at HVDA range. If you are happy that you can consistently group at the 3inch mark then you will be good. To maximise your chances go for the HILAR shot. Good luck.
    Thanks very much for this shot placement image.. this will definitely help placing the shot at the right place..

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    6.5x55 is an awesome caliber and more than capable of dropping a full bodied stag. Nothing wrong with your groupings provided you are going for a shoulder shot (lungs and heart). Leave the headshot heroics for the more experienced shooters
    I have found the Federal Power-Shok (blue box) quite reliable and well suited to the older Carl Gustov and Husquvana rifles for accuracy
    ^+1
    6.5x55 has been for many years and still is the calibre of choice in Scandanavia for Moose, so will drop anything we have in NZ to 400m, if your shooting is up to it.

Federal blue has become my most trusted factory ammo in multiple calibres.

The 5shot grouping is adequate for the range, but your are most likely to encounter deer at 20-60m most commonly in the Tararuas, so practise shooting standing with your scope zoom wound right back to 3 or 4. You'll be fine!
    initiaz likes this.

Make sure somebody knows where you are heading and time of return all that good stuff, same as solo tramping.

It's not the best to go alone just make sure you have someone to raise the alarm should you get lost, stay safe out there and good luck!

(heaps easier to drag a beast out of the bush with an extra person aswell)
    Pengy and initiaz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EK9132 View Post
    Make sure somebody knows where you are heading and time of return all that good stuff, same as solo tramping.

It's not the best to go alone just make sure you have someone to raise the alarm should you get lost, stay safe out there and good luck!

(heaps easier to drag a beast out of the bush with an extra person aswell)
    Ya you are right about going with a mate but just because I cant find one to tag along I cant just b cancelling my trip.. after all its my passion n i will have to go out there n do ..

I do take precautions and always make sure I let my family know where I am heading to. when am expected to return etc etc.. I also carry my navigation equipments together with the skills I already have.

I will be happy if someone would like to join me this weekend.. please PM..

Nothing wrong with a Solo hunt, no one to blame for any cockups and only yourself top pat on the back when it all goes to plan.

Leave intentions with someone, sounds like you on to it in that regard anyway, get amongst it an enjoy.

From group above your good to go out to 200M, that's a bloody long way, if I doubt you need to close the gap so hence the stalking bit.

If bush hunting then practice at 50M freehand is great, I use a 10cm target to practice this stuff, about the size of a deer neck as often that's all you have in the bush.

Have fun

Cheers

Dino
    initiaz likes this.
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Quote Originally Posted by initiaz View Post
    I do take precautions and always make sure I let my family know where I am heading to. when am expected to return etc etc.. I also carry my navigation equipments together with the skills I already have.
    You're probably aware of this already, but you can hire a PLB from Mainly Hunting for extra peace of mind.
    Last edited by David; 17-02-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling!