Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: What is the most humane way to shoot a goat?

Paz

What is the most humane way to shoot a goat?

Apologies if this has been talked about before - I had a dig through the forums but couldn't find an answer.

I did some hunting over Xmas and found that when shooting goats in the chest some dropped pretty quickly where as others took a bit of a run or needed a second shot. I have previously only shot possums so wanted some advice on the most humane way to shoot goats?

What were you shooting them with?

What are you using ? What terrain are you hunting in , lots of questions before we can say how ..if you goat shooting with a.22 or with a 303 using military ammo ..are you shooting open sight , do you flinch with recoil ?
    Nil durum volenti !!

Cole
    Right in the head is very effective
    MAC and AJS like this.

centrefire rifle...if wanting to put down in a hurry and arent confident with lower neck shot...aim to take out one or preferably BOTH shoulders...inside them shoulders is the lungs etc...picture a balloon between the legs..you want to pop it.....by taking out the shoulder bones you stop locomotive precess...ya cant drive anywhere with no front wheels..... goats are well known to scream if shot isnt spot on...its not pleasant so quick kill is desirable....
    for maximum meat recovery the neck is preferrred,the hilar area (base of neck,through to both shoulders broadside on) is quick killing shot and gives more margin for error...plenty of diagrams on the net....too high still good shoulder shot...too far forward good neck shot...a LITTLE too far back,still in lungs/heart area.... if deer has a roughly 8-12" vital area here..goat has 4-6" .

Paz
    Shooting with an air rifle...

haha nah just jokes - Shooting with a .223 in Marlborough Sounds scrub. Scope and suppressor so no flinching. All shots were within 50yards.

so 223 and 50 yards.....should be no issues AT ALL unless your shot placement is too far back....as said before either neck/head if rested animal and steady shot....or just take out the front wheels...job done. literally hundreds of thousands of goats have been taken this way....dont use varmit amunition ,just about anything else will do fine.

You need to hit bone. A frontal chest shot may not hit any bone, so even though the animal will be hit hard it can still run. If they are front aim a little higher and hit the base of the neck. Side on straight through the shoulder. Head shots are all good but not very humane if you get it wrong.
    Steve123, Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so 223 and 50 yards.....should be no issues AT ALL unless your shot placement is too far back....as said before either neck/head if rested animal and steady shot....or just take out the front wheels...job done. literally hundreds of thousands of goats have been taken this way....dont use varmit amunition ,just about anything else will do fine.
    As MD said above and in previous post, hit them anywhere in this area and job done.Shot a bit over three thousand goats since May 2004 using these aiming points at ranges from end of barrel to a shade over 400 yards and only had the odd fu*k-up.Mostbush shooting and some plantation forest. 55 grain SP projectiles mostly. .223 perfect caliber for this caper, also goes alright on deer and pigs. just my 2 cents worth.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paz View Post
    Shooting with an air rifle...

haha nah just jokes - Shooting with a .223 in Marlborough Sounds scrub. Scope and suppressor so no flinching. All shots were within 50yards.
    Can you tell us what ammo you are using?
    Trissaayne likes this.

Paz
    Okay thanks for the information - I previously looked for a diagram but couldn’t find anything.

Agree that placement at 50yrds should be no issue, I was more uncertain on exactly where to put the shot. It sounds like I have been aiming too low and far back (slightly behind the front leg).

Not that keen on headshots until I have more experience, it seems like a small margin of error for a pretty unpleasant experience for the animal.

Ammo I’m using is PMC Bronze Hunting 55gr soft point.

behind front leg will result in runners...classic heart shot...great in story books ,not so flash in reality...it kills cleanly but takes time. will dig out diagramme for you.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...e+Killing.html

scroll on down to the photos etc.....
    ZQLewis, Louie and Paz like this.

For most efficient shooting I was taught by the old man to aim for the hilar zone depending on distance.
    This pic I dug up from the forums, it's from Red Deer in New Zealand by Roger Lentle and Frank Saxton (which is a bloody good read if you're interested in deer stalking).
    From my experience with goats I would say the anatomy is pretty similar, just a smaller target.

Name:  Hilar zone.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  714.4 KB
    Micky Duck and Paz like this.

Try this video (if link works) it’s a bit old and funny but they actually freeze animals then cut them down the middle to show actual placement of organs etchttps://youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHcWzid7zo&t=346s
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Here’s a really good video albeit about bow hunting, but it shows the inside anatomy of a deer or goat really clearly.

At 50m and with some confidence, nothing better than an atlas joint or neck shot for instant incapacitation.

Last edited by Moutere; 09-03-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    veitnamcam and Paz like this.