Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What are you doing for the ROAR?

What are you doing for the ROAR?

So its not that long now until the Roar kicks off so i thought i would ask the question,"What are you doing for the Roar"

I have got a few blocks to hunt on Glenaray Station through the NZDA as per normal and i have my heart set on a nice stag i seen in there last year, whilst he still looked like he was quite young he has now had another year to mature so i hope he has/is developing an even better set of antlers this year.
    He was a twelve last year but needed to thicken his head gear a bit so if i see him he will be in trouble.

Apart from Glenaray i will try to get around a few local forestry blocks to check on things.

How bout you lot.

working

Stewart Island....

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    West Coast Sth Island it likes like for us - hopefully my work roster works out

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar
    A few overnighters for me. Crack at a sika and a red. Would really like to take out a fallow, but I have no contacts (Hint Hint

Ejected
    If everything goes to plan :rolleyes: I'll be about three to four weeks mucking about in Fiordland.

Depending on weather I can get one week or two off will probably do a few day hunts locally and spend a week with the old man probably up Rotoroa.Altho he was talking about a fly in Kahurangi trip. Anyone know anything about these ballot blocks? Just opened up last year I think.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lake Katherine, 3rd Period...

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    .Altho he was talking about a fly in Kahurangi trip. Anyone know anything about these ballot blocks? Just opened up last year I think.
    Yeah - we were goign to fly in there last year but pulled the pin the day before due to weather.
    There is fuck all deer in there.
    DOC has spent the money they ahve (little) on the high population area (which is not open to hunters) the rest of the areas are pretty light on numbers.
    Even the chopper pilots were trying to talk us out of paying the $$ to go in there
    Spoke to pilots afterwards, and most groups only SAW 2-3 deer in the distance. There was only 1/2 dozen shot in the whole area

Two trips on reds one in each island then Hawkes bay for sika

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Yeah - we were goign to fly in there last year but pulled the pin the day before due to weather.
    There is fuck all deer in there.
    DOC has spent the money they ahve (little) on the high population area (which is not open to hunters) the rest of the areas are pretty light on numbers.
    Even the chopper pilots were trying to talk us out of paying the $$ to go in there
    Spoke to pilots afterwards, and most groups only SAW 2-3 deer in the distance. There was only 1/2 dozen shot in the whole area
    That pretty much echos what I have heard so far then Has it been 1080d at all recently or just chopper shot? Still plenty up the lake if you know where to look IE the bush! and the birds have taken shitloads of animals out of there.

I dont think its been bombed, but there are a couple of high concentration areas in which DOC has spent their money and restrict those areas from foot hunters and the rest of it is low conc rubbish
    They also wanted the groups to pay for a DOC check before and after of the campsites - ie fly DOC in and out to look at the camp before and after you go there.
    That was promptly GFd by most groups

Its the middle of nowhere, so birds prob give it a bash too

Kinda ironic in a sad sort of way that high numbers of deer they try to keep hunters out and spend our tax dollar instead.
    Looks like local day hunts and a trip up the lake then as per usual

Ejected
    That's fucking insane, but so typical of them. They even try that shit on with cockies that are getting rabbiting work done and they neighbour.

Would it be to late to put in a submission to get that area opened up to foot hunters, i don't know the area i am just thinking out loud(sometimes its best to shut up but)