Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: whats in your first aid kit?

whats in your first aid kit?

After 199p post about the stingy thingy and fixy bit it got me thinking. What do you carry in your first aid kit?
    For me I run the usual decent bandages, no slings I am wearing mine, some steri strips, and a lovely product called celox

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=celox&sm=3
    Celox Rapid Z Fold Gauze

Hope both links work. If not try frontier medical nz.
    Chur everyone
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

My first aid kit is a roll of insulation tape...with it I can tape a knife cut together, tape splints to arms or legs for breaks or sprains, make a pain sound suppressor (tape my mates mouth shut)...can also be used of 101 other things on a trip from taping noisy swivels, stopping crap entering the barrel end, repair in the field broken stocks, tape holes in tarpaulins, mark trails...and the list goes on.
    veitnamcam, Bryan, Toby and 6 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    My first aid kit is a roll of insulation tape...with it I can tape a knife cut together, tape splints to arms or legs for breaks or sprains, make a pain sound suppressor (tape my mates mouth shut)...can also be used of 101 other things on a trip from taping noisy swivels, stopping crap entering the barrel end, repair in the field broken stocks, tape holes in tarpaulins, mark trails...and the list goes on.
    What about your cables ties for unwelcome guests ??
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    What about your cables ties for unwelcome guests ??
    Not into that kinky stuff
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I probably carry too much. Always have a small pack of Celox, mainly on account of a fellow hunter being on blood thinning drugs so is going to bleed like the proverbial stuck pig.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I had missed this on my prep check-list.. following thread and will add the necessary stuff for the coming trip/s

Get a couple of Israeli bandages, fantastic bit of kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNR8rRFgwNk
    Pengy, Ryan and Daggers_187 like this.

Ejected
    1 extra round.

Great thread, thanks guys. I haven't got a kit yet but will be sorting before heading out so this is great information for me.

Is the extra round to stop the pain?

Insulation tape
    Strapping tape
    Couple of plasters
    Triangle bandage (vacuum sealed so is tiny)
    Antiseptic cream
    Couple of alcohol wipes
    Tiny sharp pocket knife
    Drugs:
    Paracetamol
    Voltaren (diclofenac)
    Codeine
    Anti-histamines

All of the above (except strapping tape roll) fits into a tiny pouch that is the size of an iPhone.

I use the insulation and strapping tape on almost every trip, can fix most things with either.

Best thing to have in your first aid kit is a bit of basic first aid training and common sense.
    Gibo likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

A Tourniquet is a good idea to and a PLB. Also a small guide to trauma first aid because when you're staring at a gaping hole you can struggle to remember anything.

I only bother with stuff to help in a life threatening situation, I just carry the stuff for life threatening situations, anything else can wait till I get home or back to camp. Except for a bottle of saline to blast any crap out of my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GMH72 View Post
    Great thread, thanks guys. I haven't got a kit yet but will be sorting before heading out so this is great information for me.

Is the extra round to stop the pain?
    For cauterizing a wound, geez haven't you seen Rambo 3?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIji4YJL4PE
    Bryan, Scouser and Jojiyo like this.

Haha... ummm yeah, don't really want to try that But if I do I will try it at night for better effect...
    Scouser likes this.

I think anybody going into the bush should carry a Trauma Kit, if your going hunting, you're crazy not to.

Mind you I said Trauma Kit, not a first aid kit. There is a difference, first aid kits are for minor injuries, Trauma Kit is for life threatening injuries.

It can be as simple as a Trauma bandage, such as the Israeli Bandage. I prefer the OLAES Bandage from Tactical Medical Solutions https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/ It allows for wound packing, and has an innovative pressure cup which can also be used for eyes injuries.

A Tourniquet can greatly multiply the life saving ability of the Trauma Bandage alone.

It can be a more complete Trauma Kit, inline with what every soldier is issued(finally):
    • Tourniquet
    • Trauma Bandage
    • Petrolatum Gauze(Occlusive Dressing)
    • Nasopharyangeal airway
    • Surgical Gloves
    • 2 Inch Tape
    • Trauma Shears
    • Z Folded Quickclot or Celox(Caution must be used at the choice of the Quickclot used, as previous types caused burns and scarring. The Z folded does not)

The ability to save a life is worth the little extra weight of carrying a small Trauma Kit.

I understand ST Johns still does not recommend or teach the use of tourniquets, but the medical proof of lives saved by them in the last 14 years of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan would argue with their position. Hopefully they will come around soon.

A separate first aid kit is useful for dealing with small cuts, scratches, rolled ankles and headaches.

Remember, all the gear in the world wont help you if you don't know how to use it. Get trained, and practice your skills.

How much do you value your life and the lives of your mates?
    Pengy and Ryan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    A Tourniquet is a good idea to and a PLB. Also a small guide to trauma first aid because when you're staring at a gaping hole you can struggle to remember anything.

I only bother with stuff to help in a life threatening situation, I just carry the stuff for life threatening situations, anything else can wait till I get home or back to camp. Except for a bottle of saline to blast any crap out of my eye.

PLB is a good point, each hunting party should have at least one.

As for the tourniquet, just use your hunting belt, rifle sling or a spare polyprop and a stick.

Bottle of saline is also in my kit that I forgot to mention above. Can also use contact lens solution if you have it in your kit already, I used to use it all the time before I had my eyes zapped.

Always a balancing act between carrying enough to cover most bases vs carrying too much stuff to cover everything under the sun.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction