Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: whats in your first aid kit?

In Bryans list above I've added a small sewing kit (needle/thread/buttons), a pair of tweezers sharpened to a needle point and a spare lighter.
    Scouser likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I also include a few anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea pills and rehydration salts. I once got into trouble through not cleaning a camelback hose properly before going hiking and was running at both ends within a few hours - I had to get to hospital as I was getting severely dehydrated. (And I only use drink bottles now as they are easier to clean properly.)
    Scouser likes this.

A small can (the size of your thumb) of that 'spray on skin' stuff is brill to stop a cut that wont stop bleeding.......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I take a small 15X12cm zippered kit containing gloves, Israeli bandage, compressed gauze, med tape, scholl blister plasters, various band aids, tri bandage, saline, paracord, chemlights, emergency blanket x2 and pills of an undisclosed nature .

Quote Originally Posted by EK9132 View Post
    pills of an undisclosed nature .
    I have enough of hose to knock out a herd of elephants but I keep them in the ablutions gear.
    EK9132 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    As for the tourniquet, just use your hunting belt, rifle sling or a spare polyprop and a stick.
    Most belts make poor tourniquets. You don't want to find this out when someone has a major arterial bleed. A triangular bandage or neck tie would be a better option.

A Combat Applications Tourniquet weighs 73 grams.

A CAT and an Israeli Bandage weighs 148 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Always a balancing act between carrying enough to cover most bases vs carrying too much stuff to cover everything under the sun.
    We can improvise or adapt many things to find a solution. Are they going to be as effective?

Some things aren't as important as others. This is one base that needs to covered IMHO.
    Savage1 likes this.

I believe you should carry pain killers (codene & voltaren) as sometimes it won't be the life threatening situations that will stop you in your tracks. I've had this happen once in the Kaimanawas.

Also antihestamines are important. A bee/wasp sting to the face will soon become a serious concern especially if it affects vision or breathing. Quite a few hunters get caught out with this.

Survival blanket. Don't get the basic one you wrap around your self, there is a sleeping bag model you can get inside. Little bit bigger, but I know which I'd prefer if having to spend a night in the bush.

Lastly, a tampon. If your shot (or someone else), shove that in there and wrap a bandage around it.
    Last edited by Rusky; 29-08-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    Scouser likes this.

This goes without say but having all the gear is great, just know how to use it.

I am possibly a bit lax on the first aid thing.
    pain killers, voltarin, antihistamine ,insulation tape. have cord that could be used for a cut off the blood flow thing(can't spell).
    Generally any cut that bleeds a fair bit will be clean and all i have ever done it the past for semi major bleeding is cut a bit of clothing and tape the Barstard on tight!... gets you/them back to base or home where it can be sorted better.
    highest use voltarin, anyone sprains any thing,here eat this.
    Second highest use antihistamine.
    Fucking wasps I hate the Barstards!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Beaker likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    I think anybody going into the bush should carry a Trauma Kit, if your going hunting, you're crazy not to.

Mind you I said Trauma Kit, not a first aid kit. There is a difference, first aid kits are for minor injuries, Trauma Kit is for life threatening injuries.

It can be as simple as a Trauma bandage, such as the Israeli Bandage. I prefer the OLAES Bandage from Tactical Medical Solutions https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/ It allows for wound packing, and has an innovative pressure cup which can also be used for eyes injuries.

A Tourniquet can greatly multiply the life saving ability of the Trauma Bandage alone.

It can be a more complete Trauma Kit, inline with what every soldier is issued(finally):
    • Tourniquet
    • Trauma Bandage
    • Petrolatum Gauze(Occlusive Dressing)
    • Nasopharyangeal airway
    • Surgical Gloves
    • 2 Inch Tape
    • Trauma Shears
    • Z Folded Quickclot or Celox(Caution must be used at the choice of the Quickclot used, as previous types caused burns and scarring. The Z folded does not)

The ability to save a life is worth the little extra weight of carrying a small Trauma Kit.

I understand ST Johns still does not recommend or teach the use of tourniquets, but the medical proof of lives saved by them in the last 14 years of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan would argue with their position. Hopefully they will come around soon.

A separate first aid kit is useful for dealing with small cuts, scratches, rolled ankles and headaches.

Remember, all the gear in the world wont help you if you don't know how to use it. Get trained, and practice your skills.

How much do you value your life and the lives of your mates?
    Most i agree with but the nasopharangeal a wee bit excessive possibly, hell you might as well carry a Igel? Curious why naso and not lma, op, igel?
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    I think anybody going into the bush should carry a Trauma Kit, if your going hunting, you're crazy not to.

Mind you I said Trauma Kit, not a first aid kit. There is a difference, first aid kits are for minor injuries, Trauma Kit is for life threatening injuries.

It can be as simple as a Trauma bandage, such as the Israeli Bandage. I prefer the OLAES Bandage from Tactical Medical Solutions https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/ It allows for wound packing, and has an innovative pressure cup which can also be used for eyes injuries.

A Tourniquet can greatly multiply the life saving ability of the Trauma Bandage alone.

It can be a more complete Trauma Kit, inline with what every soldier is issued(finally):
    • Tourniquet
    • Trauma Bandage
    • Petrolatum Gauze(Occlusive Dressing)
    • Nasopharyangeal airway
    • Surgical Gloves
    • 2 Inch Tape
    • Trauma Shears
    • Z Folded Quickclot or Celox(Caution must be used at the choice of the Quickclot used, as previous types caused burns and scarring. The Z folded does not)

The ability to save a life is worth the little extra weight of carrying a small Trauma Kit.

I understand ST Johns still does not recommend or teach the use of tourniquets, but the medical proof of lives saved by them in the last 14 years of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan would argue with their position. Hopefully they will come around soon.

A separate first aid kit is useful for dealing with small cuts, scratches, rolled ankles and headaches.

Remember, all the gear in the world wont help you if you don't know how to use it. Get trained, and practice your skills.

How much do you value your life and the lives of your mates?
    Most i agree with but the nasopharangeal a wee bit excessive possibly, hell you might as well carry a Igel? Curious why naso and not lma, op, igel? As for the tourniquet, hell yes...life before limb any time, hell one of the fellas on here could probably make you a cracking good gun butt leg i bet.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    first aid kit?? I'm in Spooks gang.
    Spook and Toby like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I believe you should carry pain killers (codene & voltaren) as sometimes it won't be the life threatening situations that will stop you in your tracks. I've had this happen once in the Kaimanawas.

Also antihestamines are important. A bee/wasp sting to the face will soon become a serious concern especially if it affects vision or breathing. Quite a few hunters get caught out with this.

Survival blanket. Don't get the basic one you wrap around your self, there is a sleeping bag model you can get inside. Little bit bigger, but I know which I'd prefer if having to spend a night in the bush.

Lastly, a tampon. If your shot (or someone else), shove that in there and wrap a bandage around it.
    Only a cunt carries a tampon...if I shot someone with my STW I would need to go to the hut to get a mattress to cover the exit wound.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Only a cunt carries a tampon...if I shot someone with my STW I would need to go to the hut to get a mattress to cover the exit wound.
    He'd be dead by the time you got back! Call me a cunt then, but something is better than nothing and it's been proven in the field to work and save lives.
    Last edited by Rusky; 29-08-2014 at 10:32 PM.

also Betadine for cuts - good shit

A tiny plastic tub of bepanthen for burns or chafing

I don't really give a shit about death, its pain that I don't like