Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Whats your hunting footwear????

Has anyone hunted with shoes? I understand the need for boots for alpine hunting and snow etc.. I've done some big tramps in shoes and have never had a problem but it wasn't with a big backpack.. Something like Salomon hiking shoes? Seems like they'll dry out fast anyway which is attractive. I'm worried about support but yea, have always hiked in trail runners.. So feel like I should be okay.
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

Use (3)

Grisport Aoraki's - Highcut is good for the KM's tracks and mucky shite, Good bouldery stuff for ankles or mucky shite - but Useless tread on farms, tussock and grass going downhill good in scree and staying clear of Spaniard.

My Goto's are my Salomon (mid cut - GTX that has lasted 8 years but on last legs also)good all rounders and those with heel spur or sore archilles @Maca49) they did come out in a softer rubber variant - If the one in the shops tread looks shiny rather than dull - its a no go give it a scrape first on the floor to see its not a coating of some silicone spray or such crap - yep they do actually do that...

Final pair are my inov8 that are my quiet shoes and anything dodgy shoes e.g sheer slopes, creek bouldering, climbing shoes, round camp shoes Lite and small enuf that usually thrown into the top flap of my pack if not feeling comfortable traversing in the GRI's has rock climbing style sticky rubber bases or did have. they are completely awesome on everything long tread like soccer boots for muck, rocks, grass, whatever you can throw at them really.

Nearest I saw to these models have changed and prob got better are these...
    https://inov-8.co.nz/collections/men...ts/x-talon-225

Mine are dead but took 6 years to smash'em to pieces now last walk out had to rip off the flapping rubber sole bugger it. I'll take a shot for you - these things took abuse and said fark you! I even cut the lawns in them every weekend and we are on a ridge line where yes I push the mower.

Used by a likes of longest day and multisport rogaine runners.
    Maca49 and TheJanitar like this.

Only real issue with shoes is stuff getting into the top of them. Short gaiters will fix that though.
    Biggun708 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    oh wow okay thats good then! i saw a video on youtube with a guy comparing them to others and he said theyre "nice and narrow so they hug your feet'. that kinda scared me off, but i mean if theyre wide enough then im all for it. Will have to find a place in auckland that stocks them though so i can try em on.. did you make a couple of holes in yours to let water out?
    I don't put holes in mine... Holes let water in when you're going through puddles... Heaps of guys do though..

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Only real issue with shoes is stuff getting into the top of them. Short gaiters will fix that though.
    yea some gaiters or some form of tape/bandage. Am i right in saying u can bandage up your ankles for support as well? basically making normal shoes superior IMO. somehting that can act as a gaiter/support for ankles would be pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    I don't put holes in mine... Holes let water in when you're going through puddles... Heaps of guys do though..
    Yea thats true haha, so just chuck the water out after every creek crossing?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Get VC to make you some pontoon boots so you can walk on water.
    Dougie and TheJanitar like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nah it just pumps out as you walk... Shoes are a pain in the are when you in and out of rivers.. They fill up with gravel..
    TheJanitar likes this.

I can't even manage walking the dogs up the peak in anything but boots. Thinking about carrying weight and wearing sneakers (can't even remember last wearing sneakers, it's boots or jandals or nothing) gives me the heebie geebies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Biggun708 and TheJanitar like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Use to creep about in touch rugby shoes with gaiters, plenty of grip. Ankles are abit buggered now so boots for me

Alright boots it is! Thanks guys

[QUOTE=Dougie;592392]I can't even manage walking the dogs up the peak in anything but boots. Thinking about carrying weight and wearing sneakers (can't even remember last wearing sneakers, it's boots or jandals or nothing) gives me the heebie geebies.

Meh - Dougie the innov8's are 225g - I Mean that's 1 meal of weight worth in a pack ... for similar bulk as your jandals / croc's and it gives you a fark load of options just sayin to me its justifiable but at 100 kegs I don't care about the additional weight.

#justsayin

[QUOTE=Carpe Diem;592463]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I can't even manage walking the dogs up the peak in anything but boots. Thinking about carrying weight and wearing sneakers (can't even remember last wearing sneakers, it's boots or jandals or nothing) gives me the heebie geebies.

Meh - Dougie the innov8's are 225g - I Mean that's 1 meal of weight worth in a pack ... for similar bulk as your jandals / croc's and it gives you a fark load of options just sayin to me its justifiable but at 100 kegs I don't care about the additional weight.

#justsayin
    You've lost me!

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Oh! Did you think I meant carrying the weight of sneakers inside my pack?

What I meant was WEARING sneakers while carrying a weighty pack, the stress that would be on unsupported ankles due to the sneakers.

Dougie - Hey all I'm saying is its good to have options. Whether carrying in over boulders or climbing through all kinds of slippery shite where you know a pair of your norm trail walking calf boots are going to not grip as well those your wearing or day trips from base camps up vertical shite. I know what I'll have on my feet... and even though they're only sport shoes not slipping or falling rather than then needing ankle protection is the key at that instant.

All I'm advocating is a horses for courses approach whilst one of those options is light and not taking up much room. They're a damn good go to more often than not when you can reach out dead in front of you and there's when you are climbing. I say climbing because its no longer a hike...