Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Nathan F
  • 1 Post By bluebaiter222
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: When is it spring?

When is it spring?

Planning a wee excursion to somewhere I’ve never been to before. It will be over labour weekend or there abouts. Will there be any new growth around Harkness or Ngaawapurua at the end of October? The other places piquing my interest are Ikawetea Forks or perhaps Rockslide hut. I’m thinking it will be a bit early but am hoping one of you blokes can set me straight.

spring,has sprung.........daffodils are up,some are in bloom...some willows are in leaf....grass is going off,slowly at present but will go ballistic if we get another warmish week.
    the stags will be dropping antlers soon..... by labour weekend deer should be hungry as and all over show,they normally are by then.

It’s too early but you won’t get a deer at home. Spring doesn’t really start in the hills until mid-late November at the earliest.
    Slug, tetawa, stug and 1 others like this.

Yea what Nathan said . Recently I have been flying every labour weekend into the kawekas . First time was Harkness then to otutu then to ngaawaparua . All times were good and saw deer . But spring hadn't sprung and deer took a lot more finding . Ikawatea is also a great spot but I would think end of October will be to early still .give it a go you will still have a great time all the same

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Spring has sprung,the grass has riz,wonder where all the deers is?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just noticed today the willows are starting to green up , few more weeks and the deer will be moving up here.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The lower tussock margins in the Ruahines can be productive in October. Areas like the Mangahuia saddle and the Orua.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. How have the poison drops affected the deer population in the Ruahine areas I mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Kune View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. How have the poison drops affected the deer population in the Ruahine areas I mentioned?
    I was in ikawatea forks in the roar and there are certainly more deer in there than I had thought there would be . But nothing like it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk