Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By Ryan_Songhurst

Thread: Where to grab some supplies in christchuch?

nak

Where to grab some supplies in christchuch?

I'm headed over the ditch next week to spend a a week in the hills chasing tahr. I couldn't swing much time off work and I'm trying to maximise hunting time so I arrive at Midnight next Monday and all going to plan I should be walking in to a likely looking spot up Mt Cook way on Tuesday in time to do a bit of glassing that evening.

I'll have my all gear with me except food and stove fuel(and probably something small and important that I've forgotten). I need to grab some back-country style meals as well as some fresh fruit, muesli etc. I'm picking up a hire car in the city on Tuesday Morning.

In the interests of getting out of town ASAP, Where the most convenient place to grab some gas for the stove, dehyd meals with a supermarket close by?

Shooters supplies is near Hornby mall with a supermarket and is just up the road from the Airport. Not sure if they carry back country etc.

Or there is Torpedo7 and a Hunting and fishing at Tower junction. There is also some of that stuff at Ashburton on the road as you head south.

SGR
    Bivouac store in "tower junction" /hunting and fishing is next to it also. Plenty of supermarkets on the way out just off the main drag . Countdown in rolleston would save u having to go into a shopping mall. And is only a slight detour of the main highway about 15 20 mins out of town

There are two 4square supermarkets in Twizel, and Jake's hardware has almost everything. Hunting and fishing shop across the square from Jake's carry ammo.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    Tell us where you are picking up the car and we can plot a route for you from that point

Northwood New World supermarket has Back country meals (good price too)
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

white spirits cooker???? cheapest and easiest place is petrol station...fuelite/coleman fuel/white spirits all same thing. Twizel supermarket has just about anything a man could desire (but alcohol pretty expensive up that way) good place to stop for a break of your drive too.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Shooters supplies is near Hornby mall with a supermarket and is just up the road from the Airport. Not sure if they carry back country etc.

Or there is Torpedo7 and a Hunting and fishing at Tower junction. There is also some of that stuff at Ashburton on the road as you head south.
    Quicker (and way more betterer.. ) to go straight out through darfield and onto the inland route than down the main drag if headed to Mt Cook
    @nak a word of advice, chch traffic is a bloody diabolical mess between 7.30-10am and 4-7pm so if possible get your rental early and get the hell out of there. If you take the inland route down to Mt Cook and have forgotten anything you need let me know, we are not far from the inland route at Rakaia Gorge and happy to lend ya something if you forget.
    veitnamcam, Garret, tetawa and 4 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

nak
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm picking up the car from Manchester st in the city and then headed the quickest way I can to mt cook. Is the Darfield way quicker than the Ashburton way?

Last time I was over I think I went to the Hunting and Fishing that I think was on the way out of town - would that be the tower junction one? @Ryan_Songhurst - thanks for the offer, hopefully I won't leave anything out of the bag but I'll take you up on your offer if I do.

Yeap darfield then down the inland scenic route is quicker, less traffic, and way more interesting with better views, from tower junction you would just head south then turn at hornby back towards the airport and follow your nose from there
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yeap darfield then down the inland scenic route is quicker, less traffic, and way more interesting with better views, from tower junction you would just head south then turn at hornby back towards the airport and follow your nose from there
    My Nv system tells me that its about 30km longer that way, but with a reduction in traffic it would make it an easier route. Must try that next time.

SGR
    Yip @nak tower junction. The guys are right heaps of stuff in twizel if u need it .(I'm working down here) just be aware the ammo selection is slightly limited

hard case Ryan...I was up your way recently and its plurry near eggzachary the same distance back to Geraldine either via rakaia gorge or back main road (so went up one way and home the other LOL)

If you need ammo PGG in fairlie has a reasonable selection and theres an outdoors store thats got some stuff aswell