Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Where to hunt when wanting to consistently fill a LARGE Meat locker/freeza from Auck?

Where to hunt when wanting to consistently fill a LARGE Meat locker/freeza from Auck?

I realise these questions get asked a lot, so did a search and found some good info, but would like some personal help from ya'll if thats ok.

Im hoping to retire in the deep south for its hunting and quality underwater gathering. Until then, Im stuck working in Auckland.

Living in Auckland, havnt been hunting NZ for 25 years. Not asking for X spots. Just what would be the most productive public property areas close to Auckland that would consistently produce deer? I have a large family and am not fond of factory farming, so prefer to eat wild meats. I do enjoy red deer but will eat anything (almost). I also spearfish so hunt under water a lot. I got most of my hunting gear sorted, due to doing a lot of hiking overseas and the occasional hunt, but will need top layer Camos and a new pack and meat bags, and a solid rifle, have already been looking into that side of things but any good quality budget options appreciated ( when it all adds up it is not cheap but at same time being cheap just buys rubbish)

Will probably join a club here in the not too distant future. Any tips on finding like minded hunting buddies? (it takes all sorts in this world, Im more of a Commerce guy by day, hunter by weekend and appreciate the company of fairly cultured sorts, but at same time am not a snob, hope that makes sense) But any tips on the better public blocks that hold good numbers close enough to Auckland to get my juices up watching some videos would be appreciated. I was thinking Kaimanawa's but if there are more productive areas within 3 hours of there Id rather go where my chances are higher. I tend not to be a hunter for sport but one for a means of protein source, I do enjoy meat, Ive tried not to, but honestly, that is cruelty to me haha.

I also eat smaller game like Rabbits, eaten possum but not so keen. Are there any public blocks Taupo upward I can go to plink a few furry stew stockings?
    Last edited by GoatHead; 09-03-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Kaimais,pureora,kaimanawas,as usual you need to spend time in the bush finding the areas that hold deer,no ones going to tell you where the best spots are you have to do the legwork yourself ,something we used to do before the internet was invented.

MB
    Your username would suggest that you are not unfamiliar with goats. If you really just want to fill the freezer, I would target them to begin with, there's nothing wrong with the meat from young animals. I can't help with location, I struggle to find goats in the deerless north.

There is a place in the Kaimanawas at the end of a track that runs from a car park to a clearing.
    From the clearing you go up into the bush,sidle along for a while with the wind in your face.
    I shot a nice Sika beside a big Tree above a river.
    To get home you reverse the steps in the first sentence.

Happy to help!
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Like said above time you drive half a dozen times to a block and come home empty handed you might be better paying for a meat hunt.
    Steve123 and hebe like this.

Joined in 2018 and this is your first post?

I have a few spots but i dont think im cultured enough for ya.
    outlander and Ben Waimata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyls View Post
    Ouch...
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

If such a place existed people would be all over it, I know I would that would be a luxury. If you want a consistent stream of venison you may have to go private or even just pay someone to access meat animals. Goats and rabbits should be easier to find as meat animals on private land, and the occasional deer if you are successful on public land.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyls View Post
    I don’t think goathead is asking for spots, just which general public hunting area has good animal numbers to live near for him to explore himself.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    There is a place in the Kaimanawas at the end of a track that runs from a car park to a clearing.
    From the clearing you go up into the bush,sidle along for a while with the wind in your face.
    I shot a nice Sika beside a big Tree above a river.
    To get home you reverse the steps in the first sentence.

Happy to help!
    Great spot that.
    norsk likes this.

Well I will be of no help no man ban don’t own any pointy shoes but I do have plenty of socially unacceptable tattoos on the bright side I don’t drink alcohol or smoke another flaw I also hunt with dogs and I do have a 270 but it might be all right because it’s a wsm so could be cultured enough no but wait I left school with no qualifications so definitely can’t help

Kaimais, Kaimanawas are about the 2 closest spots. If your not that fit, then kaimais isnt for you. Normally involves some climbing/crawling before you get to good hunting areas.
    JessicaChen likes this.

But seriously. The King Country has loads of goats. On private land though so you would need to do some door knocking.
    As far as Deer are concerned if you have to ask then you probably aren't skilled enough. Put in the hard yards though and you will eventually have regular success. Pureora, Kaimais and Te Urewera are worth a look. Just don't expect to shoot something first trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    But seriously. The King Country has loads of goats. On private land though so you would need to do some door knocking.
    As far as Deer are concerned if you have to ask then you probably aren't skilled enough. Put in the hard yards though and you will eventually have regular success. Pureora, Kaimais and Te Urewera are worth a look. Just don't expect to shoot something first trip.
    Actually what are the general rules behind door knocking etiquette? Like what times of the day, how to approach with the topic of hunting, and what to offer, etc. the closest I’ve been comfortable with door knocking is asking friends at work if they know someone with farmland. Been too nervous to actually randomly drive up someone’s driveway and ask a stranger if they have animals I can shoot. hunting native public land is a lot more fun and challenging for the sport side of things but sometimes it’s nice to just get meat from a friends house and offer some drinks or other treats as thanks.