Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By tawhaowhao
  • 1 Post By Chop3r
  • 1 Post By Chop3r
  • 1 Post By Danny

Thread: Whirinaki Rekkie

Whirinaki Rekkie

Hey lads

Looking to do a quick trip down and check out some new country before the Roar kicks of into full effect. Was thinking I would head in here for a wander on the 20th.
    Have a mate who isnt geared up yet so we will need to stay at a hut. We are both young and fit enough that I will try cover a fair amount of ground and have a decent explore.

Is it worth a look at skips or am I better off pushing a bit further into Rogers? Looks to be some good highish catchments, but also seems like it gets a bit of traffic.
    Coming in from the south could be a go also. Anyone hunted upper Te hoe recently? Looks like a bit more of a walk but thats usually a good thing right.

Any info on the area or alternate ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Also anyone who wants to tag along for a hunt is welcome.
    Cheers
    Nick

I would suggest mangamate hut as being worth a look. Go in from River road up the main whirinaki track then up the mangamate stream to the hut. Doesn't get a lot of hunting pressure, is not a huge walk and theres quite a few options for hunts from the hut. If you need a drop-off service i can give you a contact in Minginui who does vehicle minding and drop-offs. In at Skips the sidestream on the true right upstream from the hut. Mangakakahohuka is worth a wander up. On that track tho' the Mangakahika hut would be my preference.
    Bushrash and Nick-D like this.

Wicked cheers man. Apreciate the information
    Whats the hike time to the mangakahika like? looks to my eyeball to be about a 5 or 6 hour walk. Only in for 3 days so wanna be able to spend as much time hunting as possible

Surprisengly enough that creek that you talking about north of Skips does get a fair bit of traffic from hunters crossing the ridge off the saddle beween Okau and Whangatawhia stream. At one time there was an old meat hunters bivvy up just up past the Kaheke (?) Stream but its now long gone.

Was some very good hunitng up there,
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Wicked cheers man. Apreciate the information
    Whats the hike time to the mangakahika like? looks to my eyeball to be about a 5 or 6 hour walk. Only in for 3 days so wanna be able to spend as much time hunting as possible
    Its about 3 1/2 to Rogers and from memory about 2 from there to Mangakahika. Its an easy walk but there is a slightly steep climb about 20 mins north of the Mangakahika hut. Keep an eye out for deer on the chopper pad and the first creek on the left heading up towards Mangataniwha is worth a look
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Hey lads

Looking to do a quick trip down and check out some new country before the Roar kicks of into full effect. Was thinking I would head in here for a wander on the 20th.
    Have a mate who isnt geared up yet so we will need to stay at a hut. We are both young and fit enough that I will try cover a fair amount of ground and have a decent explore.

Is it worth a look at skips or am I better off pushing a bit further into Rogers? Looks to be some good highish catchments, but also seems like it gets a bit of traffic.
    Coming in from the south could be a go also. Anyone hunted upper Te hoe recently? Looks like a bit more of a walk but thats usually a good thing right.

Any info on the area or alternate ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Also anyone who wants to tag along for a hunt is welcome.
    Cheers
    Nick
    You've got good feedback already, if considering the Te Hoe side, it gets a fair bit of fly in pressure also as well as pleanty of utes parked at Te Pukehunui saddle sidePuts it well outside an option for me, mates hunt it considerably over the roar for a good shot. Myself, I'd keep Skips and Rogers as the plan and keep flexible once your in there. Fly camp away from the busy spots. The huts can be a bastard when ignorant pricks and their dogs turn up late and start drinking and carrying on.
    Above all else be safe bro.
    Nick-D likes this.
    Dan M

Dont know if its still the same but take a mouse trap for Rogers, the wee bastards were on form last time I was there, which is not all that long ago

Quote Originally Posted by tawhaowhao View Post
    I would suggest mangamate hut as being worth a look. Go in from River road up the main whirinaki track then up the mangamate stream to the hut. Doesn't get a lot of hunting pressure, is not a huge walk and theres quite a few options for hunts from the hut. If you need a drop-off service i can give you a contact in Minginui who does vehicle minding and drop-offs. In at Skips the sidestream on the true right upstream from the hut. Mangakakahohuka is worth a wander up. On that track tho' the Mangakahika hut would be my preference.
    Mangamate looks like a go man, bit more af a treck but not to bad. Hut is nice and high too so not to much of a mission to get up on the ridgeline. Will come and check the okahu side out when the roar is all said and done.