Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rosco
  • 1 Post By Bobba

Thread: Whitikau Stream Area (Tongariro) Recommendations

Whitikau Stream Area (Tongariro) Recommendations

Had a thought to packrat down the Tongariro down to Whitikau Stream around ANZAC Weekend. Has anyone hunted that area and provide some insight on what the bush is like/ animal numbers etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tosh

Hi, i have hunted there for over 15 years, have been in there 3 times this roar so far, mainly Reds in there with a touch of Sika, few pigs too, numbers are not high due to several poisons over the last 10 years, the 1080 has hammered the Sika badly, i spent a week in mid April last year and did not hear a Sika roar, in saying that we did shoot a stag, there are others that raft in there too, and a few lucky ones that have access through the forest. Make sure you know your boundary's as there is private land on the left heading up stream and the locals will take a dim view if you get caught on their patch.
    Cheers
    kūpapa tia likes this.

Cheers for that Rosco. My assumptions would have been decent numbers of sika and no reds so its interesting to hear what you've said. Tracking the boundaries and im only interested in public land areas.

Just come out of there. The stream is easy traveling but with steep sides so getting high is a bit of a gut buster. Reds mostly and heaps of pig sign. As mentioned GPS with boundaries to ensure your not on private land.

Was pretty quite the days I was there.
    kūpapa tia likes this.