Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree27Likes
  • 8 Post By Remmodel7
  • 3 Post By Cigar
  • 4 Post By Dama dama
  • 5 Post By JoshC
  • 3 Post By tikka
  • 2 Post By Bol Tackshin

Thread: Who gets that feeling

Who gets that feeling

No not the itch in your pants.
    Its a feeling I get around this time every year. As a farmer I'm done with summer and am looking forward to some rain and grass growth. And then there is the hunting and fishing to come.
    The roar is just around the corner (but no they are not roaring yet) Duck shooting is not far away. Then there is fishing for winter run trout. And throw in a bit of skiing. I can't wait for autumn and winter.
    Who else gets the feeling.
    Sparrow, Woody, Steve123 and 5 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I love autumn, better temperature than summer.
    I heard the farmed stags down the road roaring for the first time a couple of days ago, seems much later start than other years?

I’m at hospital having chemo right now, and am trying to organise the next rounds to fit around my hunting plans
    Carpe Diem, Woody and grandpamac like this.

My favorite time of year. Stags roaring soon, wild black berries, fat trout in the rivers, my wee orchard is full of apples and pears, settled weather and frosty mornings...whats not to love.
    madjon_, Rusky, Woody and 1 others like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

No. I hate winter. Especially when we've hardly had a summer down here

PS. Stags are roaring. Heard two yesterday.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Yip I've got that feeling right now it's my last week at work and then its 7 weeks off hunting stags and fishing for snapper.
    veitnamcam, Woody and 57jl like this.

MB
    I pretty much hate winter and not keen on autumn/spring either, but am getting that feeling because I haven't done anywhere near enough hunting this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I love autumn, better temperature than summer.
    I heard the farmed stags down the road roaring for the first time a couple of days ago, seems much later start than other years?

I’m at hospital having chemo right now, and am trying to organise the next rounds to fit around my hunting plans
    Sorry that you are in chemo, but I have to give you a big thumbs up for your attitude! Awesome!
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

Only been home for couple days getting back from south island and loving the showers of rain we are getting, had to get the water truck up 3wks ago to put water in tank.
    Roar only around the corner then duck shooting along with kids winter sports.

57JL
    I hope chemo doesn,t fuck it up for you mate chemo is not much fun

Greetings All,
    The urge to hunt and gather in the Autumn is hard wired in all of us, even non hunters. It developed in our distant hunter gatherer ancestors living in temperate and cooler regions where there are defined seasons. Our distant ancestor, lets call him Ug was driven away from the warmth of his fire to go out and tip over a yearling mammoth or two to keep the family in meat for the coming winter. The rest of the family gathered other fruits of the forest. This still occurs today in some northern regions.Now that most of us don,t live in caves or hunt with stone tipped spears the urge manifests as anticipation of the roar and autumn hunting. May this always be so.
    Greetings Cigar glad to see that the urge is strong in you in spite of your health issues. Best wishes.
    Grandpamac.

yip Im with Ug on this one......the urge is very strong,once that chil hits the air I do start thinking of duck season just around the corner.....the roar has become a bit of a non-event for me as I normally only hunt public land and being a bush hobbit Im not keen on too many other folk being around.I dont worry about myself as much as my dog...if someone shot her there would be hell to pay,so its easier to just not head out.....might just have to scoot over to mates wee block on other side of island...the deer are there,we just havent found them yet.