Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: who is using red dots?

who is using red dots?

I'm curious how many people are using red dots, there is not much mention of them here anymore since the law changes. I have a habit of alternating between scope and irons on my rifles, currently just put the red dot back on my .223, on the basis a 3MOA dot is fine inside the ethical range of .223, and I usually shoot at close range in bush or margins were fast target acquisition is the highest priority.

I've got one on my drilling. I keep it in my pocket and put it on if there is time.

They are very fast, much easier to use that open sights.

SLR
    I have them on my 10/22s. Super fun and fast to use.

I don't use one currently but have shot quite a few animals with one. I like them better than irons but like a low mag scope better than both. Even in thick bush a little magnification can be really usefull for placing shots etc
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

got eight of them even one on my shotgun

Had one on a 44mag absolutely made the gun was brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    I have them on my 10/22s. Super fun and fast to use.
    I had one on my 10/22 for a while, expecting it to be amazing for night shooting. But it was not as good as I expected, and ended putting a scope on. I can't remember what the problem was now, but there was some reason why it didn't work as I expected. I better put one back on just for old time sake... and because I have not messed around with the 10/22 optics for a while.

My 10/22 and SKK with TRS-25s back in the old days (plus a pet rabbit to remind me why I needed them). Reminiscing.....

Alternate with scope on 223 from time to time when goat shooting. Tend to use it on wet days, lenses can get wetter before it’s a hassle to see dot. Shoot with both eyes open which helps too.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

What are the red dots like with a shortbush rifle thats suppressed? Say a 14-16inch barrel and suppresor? On a low power scope the suppressor is visable which is fine but wondering if its fully obscured with a red dot?

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner223 View Post
    What are the red dots like with a shortbush rifle thats suppressed? Say a 14-16inch barrel and suppresor? On a low power scope the suppressor is visable which is fine but wondering if its fully obscured with a red dot?
    An AR-style riser should sort that problem.
    Southerner223 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner223 View Post
    2x and some 3x scopes pick up a bare rifle barrel. Red dot too if mounted low. If you’re really noticing this you’re probably not concentrating on the target enough. I certainly don’t notice on my 223 and 308 rifles, both suppressed.
    Micky Duck and Southerner223 like this.

The .308 wears one on occasion in the bush. I mount it low and just leave the suppressor off. Makes for a really handy bush setup but you only want to take the one shot without earpro

I had a aimpoint red dot for awhile,it was good but a 1-4 scope is much more versatile especially if it has a firedot reticle. I found I had to constantly adjust the brightness of the dot throughout the day to suit different conditions which can be a pain.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

yep, i have put one of the Zerotech ones on my 10/22. makes shooting rabbits feel a bit more fun than it already is!

would be quite keen to go for a bush stalk and have it set up on my 308 to see how it goes.

I used Red. few times for goat hunting on 22 in NI, but mostly in video games. To me, Red. is for other purposes, pest control or... close quarters engagement. I still prefer the iron sight, the blur is a fun for me, feel the shots. Yes of course, identify the target first, check twice both for the target and background.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.