Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Why do people use a guide?

Why do people use a guide?

I'm interested to know as to why some people are happy to use/pay for a guide to help them shoot/secure a stag?
    I'm more pacifically referring to hunting in NZ by New Zealanders, whether it be free range private land, public land or behind wire hunting

Some of the reasons you hear are
    - to busy with work
    - family commitments
    - don't have the time
    - have the money to
    - land access
    - to unfit, old age, injuries
    - been trying for years by myself with no success shooting a trophy stag

Why else do people decide to go down that path and use a guide?
    Last edited by Huntn; 18-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Because a guide has sussed out the area over a period of time, knows the local deer habits.
    tikka, ebf, mikee and 4 others like this.

contimplated it to get a young person the first animal.....bit like a hooker in many ways,the buck/fu%# fever over n done with before something more important cames along.a meat animal hunt with little pressure and open country just has to be less stressfull than bush stalked animal....we did the hard yards with my young fella and got him a bush stalked deer,one of my proudest Dad moments,he shot 3-4 on big farm but the hind from the deep dark bush is the one that stands out....the station animals took the edge off the antisipation.

looking at 5-700 for a meat animal isnt really that bad compared to chopper flight in without guarantee of meat coming out.
    but as yet havent payed for something can DIY....in either case...
    veitnamcam, deer243 and Huntn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Because a guide has sussed out the area over a period of time, knows the local deer habits.
    But isn't that half the fun and challenge in trying to secure your trophy??
    K95, Nick.m, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.

Sika are a good example - the best heads are on the front country and a lot of it is impossible to access. Some people hunt the Kawekas their whole life and never get a decent head (like me - too focussed on meat) and in the end think "bugger it, I will pay the money and have one last flurry". Its only my foolish pride that has stopped me from doing it.
    tetawa, Boaraxa, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

Bucket list for a non FAL holder nor a hunter or a wife who got sick of waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
    True but most have limited time available for "recreational activities" by the time we all meet other responsibilities in life.

If you only have a week (or 2) a year available to go hunting then I would think its great way to maximise the chances of success meat wise or trophywise if that your thing, but if you really only want to go for an "armed' walk then I guess a guide would only be an extra expense.

a newbie hunter,who doesnt know anyone who will take them out....will learn more from a paid hunt with a half decent guide than they will by DIY over half a dozen hunts.... and agree 100% with mikee on this.
    ebf, mikee, Nick-D and 6 others like this.

For some people's success rates of going with helisika they are better off going to Ngamatea and smacking over an animal or 2. Think you can split the guide cost and a meat animal is cheap so could work out the same or cheaper depending which block.you wanted to go

MB
    I've been fishing a long time and don't enjoy charter trips. Half the challenge is finding fish and working out what gear to use. If a skipper drives you to the fish and tells you what to do, it isn't a challenge and it's really a matter of luck which rod the fish jump on. I feel the same about guided hunting despite being a novice. Having said that, I live in Northland, and neither have hunting buddies further south, or know any particular block well. With a full time job and young family, the logistics of doing the hard yards are not realistic, so understand why others use a guide.

Incidentally, I have been on a guided hunt on DOC land. It was a birthday present from the wife. Wasn't a great experience. Guide didn't seem like he wanted to be there. Fair enough, we all have shit going on, but work is work and part of being a professional is sometimes putting on a smiley face.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    a newbie hunter,who doesnt know anyone who will take them out....will learn more from a paid hunt with a half decent guide than they will by DIY over half a dozen hunts....
    ^^^^Pretty much straight up me. Being a recently relocated Aussie who knows how to shoot feral cats and dogs in wide open paddocks, that's useful for 4/5ths of Feck All for hunting in NZ. Been here two years, and have pretty much ZERO mates due to working 65+ hours a week (and that was when it was quiet) up until the start of this year. Hard to make good friends when you spend 13 hours a day in a field service ute on your own. Met loads of good sorts filled with "Yeah mate, we'll take you hunting" who never quite follow through because life just gets in the way sometimes.

If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to get hold of a guide to go winter Tahr hunting. I just don't see it as being worth the risk having a crack with somebody I barely know or trust in places I'm not familiar with.
    stug, ebf, Russian 22. and 3 others like this.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

I have organised at least 20 social club trips on private property, most trips someone gets their first ever deer and most members got there first and subsequent deer on these trips.
    Its about the only way to guarantee 4-8 guys all newbs with little or no gear get a animal or two in a weekend.
    Normally I am left to self guide another member or two and I really enjoy teaching the basics.

They would probably never happen if they cost 700 plus per animal tho...our costs are more often 250-400 per amimal.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I mentioned only a week ago to a guide I could see the attraction of a payed hunt not so much being guided to an animal but say the use of a hut with the family and a bunch of animals around you no more of a relaxed atmosphere and no pressure to find an animal before the kids get board and having the comfort of a hut ...one you can drive too !.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jt89 View Post
    .................................... "Yeah mate, we'll take you hunting" who never quite follow through because life just gets in the way sometimes.
    if I had 1 dollar for all the promised fishing trips I have had working on peoples boats then I would never need my own boat,

There are only a very select few now on whose equipment I will work outside my "day job" now.

I really hate when people I don't know call my employer to get my number so they can call me outside work hours to ask me to do a "Homie" because they want me to have the cash not the company (really they are looking for a cheap job) . WTF i dont do cheap I only do free (my labour I mean) on my own terms for people I respect! I also stand behind my work 100% unlike some!!
    tetawa, stingray, chainsaw and 9 others like this.

HOO
    I’ve met a few clients through work who only hunt once a year during the roar on private land with a guide and that’s the only hunting they do. They can afford it and it’s just about guaranteed success for them.
    They get to stay in a decent hut, drive door to door and get fed too.
    If I had plenty of money and was only allowed to hunt once a year I’d probably consider it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    paddygonebush, tetawa and mikee like this.