Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Wicked evening

Wicked evening

So id been scheming for some time and after recent success ,Thought iv got to take the kids for a hunt id tried a few times with piggy in the middle ( 7yo) but she wasn't keen today, probably my fault as its so easy to forget how small they are & even things like long grass can be very tiring on little legs let alone thistles in the way !! so the littlest was bouncing up & down il come take me , she had been at me for a long time to take her but I always say the same thing ..when your bigger you can come so yesterday was the day not that she had gotten much bigger not even 5 yet so I had to put my thinking cap on & plan where could we could go , plan hatched we were off with her chattering away 40 odd min,s latter the chatter still going I said now remember when we get to our spot we need to be reeeally quite so we practised our whispering & don't slam the door !! .So we parked the truck up & starked walking along an old track...dad she said your being noisy don't walk on the stones walk on the grass, ok , dad dad look , shoooosh I said she replied deer prints we carried on , dad I can smell deer ok we carried on , dad look deer blood (red moss on the rocks) we carried on dad look sheep poo , dad whats this dirt , pig rooting , dad can you shoot a pig I said I would shoot what ever jumped infront of us , in the end she was a wee trooper we walked for around 3 k,s & not once did she complain .It was a cracker afternoon warm , breeze in our face the sun had gone & I was surprised we hadn't seen anything as there was a bit of sign around , I said to the girl see up there if we get to the top & there's no deer we will go back to the truck so we marched on up a low rise in the far corner following a worn game trail quietly stalking stopping & looking as its quite scrubby when we got to the top we stood there for a bit just looking , admiring the view we had just turned around to head back when we heard a crash Woh deer rite below us in a hidden gut ...4 of them 30 meters away they stopped looking over at us I lined up on one, crack wumph , the girl got a wee fright but the smile said it all dad dad deer & you gave me a fright ..did you shoot it , yep but , it wasn't there so I left her on the spot & that was fine I kept talking to her as I pushed further away in the scrub there was no blood no nothing but I distinctly remembered a loud noise from one of the deer in the area I was in & bingo she hadn't gone far maybe 30 meters a nice fat hind I couldn't believe my luck first hunt for the girl & we score , surprisingly the trip home was much much quitter the wee tacker was curled up on the front seat sound asleep the whole way home .
    Name:  IMG_6426 (Copy).JPG
Views: 574
Size:  227.7 KB
    jakewire, Wildman, Shootm and 52 others like this.

Thats cool. Planning on taking my two boys out next weekend they are 5 and 7. Went for a possum shoot on Friday night with them. It can be quite challenging to get them chatting quietly. Very rewarding though.
    Boaraxa likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    That’s awesome. I’ve had my daughter out rabbit shooting and the one time I took her out and showed her some deer. That’s a whole different story.......
    Boaraxa likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I really enjoyed your yarn Boaraxa
    PERRISCICABA and Boaraxa like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awesome she looks stoked!! What an introduction to hunting with dad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shit hot
    Boaraxa likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I really enjoyed your yarn Boaraxa
    Thanks , its pretty neat taking the little ones out defiantly going to do more of it .

man that brings back memories of taking mine out when they were younguns too. bet she talks Mums ear off all about it ....make sure you get little lass to help you remove the eye fillet steaks and then make big fuss of cooking and eating them together....outside on lpg will be even more "special" loads of butter smuggled out from under Mums nose and thick toast sliced white bread with loads of salt....... you will be the bestest Dad forever.

Life can't get much better than that. In this context its about hunting - but no matter how we do it spending time and sharing experiences with our kids is priceless.

Your story was told with such love. Go you Father Boaraxa!

p.s. Your daughter is beautiful

pps. And that Mauser 'aint half bad either

The smile and thumbs up says it all, a great day out with your daughter, a day she (and you) will never forget. So cool.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Awesome!!! My eldest is about the same age and just getting him out there and how much he enjoys it is priceless, no success with any big game yet but man the memories are worth way more than the meat anyway ��
    Boaraxa likes this.

Well done mate, hooked for life!
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Good shit Boaraxa, enjoyed that yarn
    Boaraxa likes this.

You're the man! Great read thanks.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Time spent with the Kids out side is time well spent. Obviously got her good looks from Mum.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"