Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Wild dogs - Discussion

Wild dogs - Discussion

From a conversation in a different post, i figured it could be good to get this going ( https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....lle-hut-54865/ )

Wild dogs - whose got a good yarn? I've run into pig dogs in the bush and could approach them calmly, what can you expect from wild dogs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27zx1ZV7nHQ

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Shoot them. Leave them where they lay.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

We had them in the Raukumaras this year. We were having a sleep in and it would have been 630 when in my sleep I heard a dog yodelling. Kind of the classic worried pup, like when your young pig dog gets lost with the older dogs.
    I kept out of bed and poked my head in my mates tent to make sure his mut was in there. Mates thought I'd give nuts. We had about 8 legs hanging in a tree so thought we'd check in case they were looking for that when I heard it again. Rushed out to the river bed and here was two dogs travelling up stream.
    We were beyond were you can horse too and the choppers had only us in the region.
    I lined up on other the leader and noted they weren't in bad nic and that the second one was about 1 Yr Old. The old girl looked straight down at me and I knew I couldn't pull the trigger. They carried on upstream and we never saw them again. Strangely they never touched a deer carcass just upstream.

Told a mate about it and he'd had one come into camp a couple years before at the same spot which then wouldn't leave. They ended up flying it out with them.

I feel sorry for the poor buggers

Pig dogs become lost, plus in some areas dogs are used to "course" deer which becomes an easy method to lose dogs, some owners will go to the end of the earth to find, others just go and get another dog.
    Micky Duck and Chelsea like this.

many years ago before cellphones and wotnot was hunting pureora , stepped into a small clearing and out the corner of my eye at the bush edge saw an animal watching me ....raised the 30-30 and almost shot it then the brain listened to what the eyes were telling it , that it was a dog skin and bone it was and real happy to see a human. decided the hunting would be stuffed as its scent would be everywhere so took it back to camp (well it followed me). while i was out a pighunter had stopped in and left his contact details he had lost a dog about 10 km away reckoned it started chasing a deer and that was the lat he saw of it 2 weeks earlier. anyway uncle drives out to nearest landline makes a call, guy comes and takes his dog no thank you no beers for our trouble ...... never again if it happens again i will keep the dog

duck shooting on local beach...wandered down towards my usual spot and spotted this bedraggles poodle type dog standing forlorn in pile of washed up logs...my two went over and sniffed bums (as they do) I patted leg and wee fella came along for a walk....he didnt know what the heck we were up to but happy to have company...took it home without ringing Mrs and put the three dogs through gate into section and went inside to clean shotgun..Mrs nearly had heart failure when she spotted nugget willie and "woolie" in back yard.....we gave him a feed,talk about scoff it down,then a bath,looked much neater..about then wife recalled facebook post from 3 weeks back.....sure enough "woolie" had been with owners about 10km up beach and wandered off...they were over joyed to be re-united and handed me a $50 warehouse voucher despite protests....everytime I look at the tackle box I bought with it I remember "woolie"

the farm we owned in king country had issues years back,pregnant pigdog bitch had got lost ,had pups and went feral...was killing sheep to survive ,it took George year to get last one .... very cunning and secretive.

Banned
    I recall a bloke telling me how he and a mate were shooting pheasants in some very difficult access area of (I think) Kaingaroa forest?
    Got to an old hut and there were two dogs on the veranda which slipped off and disappeared into the trees when the blokes appeared.
    Next thing the dogs - big heavy bully types are coming at them at full pace. Both shot in the face at close range.
    He thought that they may have been guard dogs for a dope patch but it was the wrong time of year ?? or pig dogs gone wild ? anyway they were pleased that they had shotties and not Rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I recall a bloke telling me how he and a mate were shooting pheasants in some very difficult access area of (I think) Kaingaroa forest?
    Got to an old hut and there were two dogs on the veranda which slipped off and disappeared into the trees when the blokes appeared.
    Next thing the dogs - big heavy bully types are coming at them at full pace. Both shot in the face at close range.
    He thought that they may have been guard dogs for a dope patch but it was the wrong time of year ?? or pig dogs gone wild ? anyway they were pleased that they had shotties and not Rods.
    Do you know the date of this
    Was it Matea Lodge - Kiangaroa (old and not used anymore)

1975/6
    I was staying there, as mate and I were Thinning to waste our Summer High prune block (doing more hunting and Possuming than Silver-culture :-)
    Had an Irish Setter (the one I told you other day about that chased that magnificent Royal Stag that I got solid lock up Buck fever on :-(

I was crapping myself every night as Setter Bitch came on heat and this huge black and tan dog came in every night and howled etc
    After 3 or 4 nights of this almost "Hound of the Baskervilles" reenactment - I let her out

She was gone for 2 days
    Had a 11 litter of pups 9 weeks later - then on coons in Awamarino district

I got a shot at that Dog - but missed as leaning out the window was not the best of options for rest and crap torches in those days (prob also suffering from Dog Fever :-)
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    From a conversation in a different post, i figured it could be good to get this going ( https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....lle-hut-54865/ )

Wild dogs - whose got a good yarn? I've run into pig dogs in the bush and could approach them calmly, what can you expect from wild dogs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27zx1ZV7nHQ
    Did anyone watch this to the end - think not
    This guy is a classic nut job :-))))
    turtle, RUMPY, Louie and 1 others like this.

@Sarvo. No I didn't watch that earlier but I have now I agree with your description of this gentleman.
    Going back to the other thread, I grew up in Galatea and would often encounter pig dogs up the Horomunga before any sign of the owner. As a young fella some of these dogs were pretty scary looking. With the Duckville hut area I've heard dogs were used back in the Waimana and Whakatane river areas on deer quite a bit.
    Sarvo and Louie like this.

This is what we did to wild dogs in Aussie.

Don’t get me started. Bloody hell.

Name:  5845B99D-D56F-4EB0-869A-A8025BEBAC46.jpeg
Views: 950
Size:  708.7 KB

Name:  C63BCFA3-177D-49F4-B1E8-E90A1A0BBDE9.jpeg
Views: 987
Size:  1.25 MB
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    This is what we did to wild dogs in Aussie.

Don’t get me started. Bloody hell.

Attachment 167748

Attachment 167747
    Where abouts is this?
    I stayed in rural coloundra for a wee while working with racehorses. Every day on my way from one farm to another my house host would tell me to watch out for wild dogs. Thought It was a bit of a joke until he told me how bad they were. We often rode through some bush land and had to always keep an eye out incase wild dogs came after us. Luckily I never came across one. The wildlife in the area is amazing though.

Gone but not forgotten
    When I was at high school a mate had feral dogs in the bush next to their farm. The owners had all been arrested and sent to jail (for growing dope IIRC), the dogs were left to fend for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Did anyone watch this to the end - think not
    This guy is a classic nut job :-))))
    Does a bloody good impersonation of a rabid dog!
    40mm and RUMPY like this.