Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: wild pig fights back

"you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

Yip pigs don't muck around, seen teeth marks in steel caps by a farmed big sow , blokes ripped , bitten and chased by angry pigs! They are fighting for their lives and are very very tough animals, but then I've also seen my brother bitten by a "dead" possom!

It ain't dead until its hanging on the hook!
    Pengy, Shearer, Steve123 and 2 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Sent the article to a couple of pig hunters I know

Bet you ask around plenty of guys have being poked by antlers they have being carting out!
    Nil durum volenti !!

MSL
    Hunting is so dangerous, how is it still allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.

Boar with good tusks can do alot of damage. Back in the day we had a number of dogs killed - ripped when approaching from front rather than sides for ear holds when bailing. Also saw wild boar turn and actually chase pigdogs in thick northern bush. Very scary when you're about 8, and you're only 10 meters away..

Old man got one particularly notorious boar in the South Waikato bush back in the 60s. It was very well known in the district - the Blackberry Gully boar - and over a number of years it had killed 17 dogs belonging to lots of hunters. Old man finally got to him when the dogs bailed him in a deep boghole, and nailed him with his jungle carbine. It was a big crossbred brindle boar and weighed 320lbs. 3" tusks. Little wonder he was too good for dogs - just too big. News of his demise was written up in Waikato paper of the day and mounted head still on my brother's wall True story..

Funniest thing I've ever seen was my cousin being given a good bloody shaking when a big old titty sour grabbed him by the red band when one of the dogs let go, we were too busy rolling on the ground laughing to help him out. Or nearly jumping into each others arms when the dogs chased a nice boar straight down the forestry road as we're all standing right in the middle. Bloody scary feeling when all you can hear is blowing coming in your general direction and the ribbing to follow for all the girlish screams. Bloody funny times!!
    mudgripz and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Bet you ask around plenty of guys have being poked by antlers they have being carting out!
    Couple of years ago I dropped something on the garage floor beside the wall so bent down to pick it up and sprung a leak on my forehead , yep stag that had been quite dead for a long time finally got his revenge , hurt to I wouldn't like to be attacked to a live one.
    stingray, McNotty and hey like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Boar with good tusks can do alot of damage. Back in the day we had a number of dogs killed - ripped when approaching from front rather than sides for ear holds when bailing. Also saw wild boar turn and actually chase pigdogs in thick northern bush. Very scary when you're about 8, and you're only 10 meters away..

Old man got one particularly notorious boar in the South Waikato bush back in the 60s. It was very well known in the district - the Blackberry Gully boar - and over a number of years it had killed 17 dogs belonging to lots of hunters. Old man finally got to him when the dogs bailed him in a deep boghole, and nailed him with his jungle carbine. It was a big crossbred brindle boar and weighed 320lbs. 3" tusks. Little wonder he was too good for dogs - just too big. News of his demise was written up in Waikato paper of the day and mounted head still on my brother's wall True story..
    Excellent!!!! Great story and great family heirloom with the mounted trophy - true meaning of a trophy in my book
    outlander likes this.

The big boar turning and chasing the pigdogs mentioned above was a tale in itself. Again way in the backblocks in south Waikato bush and the dogs had been on this boar for maybe an hour. They'd bail him but he'd keep breaking. Eventually they seemed to stop him up on top of a flat looking hill. We climbed up the side - found a hell of a racket and very thick bush with supplejack etc. Dogs bailing like hell maybe 30m away, then boar breaks again straight towards us!! Old man shoves me up a short tree for safety as pig and dogs come racing towards us. As they get to us the dogs and boar vary left by a couple of meters - and the tree fell down !!!!!! Absolutely terrified ... 8 year old on the ground with a bloody boar meters away. Dogs then reversed and bailed him again against a rock about 10 meters away, and old man finally gets through and drops him with the old carbine. Will never forget that one...

On another occasion when I wasn't there, old man and his mate were on horseback on a bush track when dogs got onto a boar. Boar broke, came straight down onto the track and went for the horse - had a real go at it!! They didn't get that one.....

True stories..
    Last edited by mudgripz; 27-04-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    stingray and McNotty like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Pig hunting With dogs was just such fun in my younger days, my mate who is 67 still lives and breaths it. Yup been chased, had dogs ripped and killed , have looked for the odd tree at times as well. The pig hunter who says I don’t use a gun obviously hasn’t hunted enough or has way to many dogs. A pig that is being held is a lot safer than a pig bailed I can guarantee you that fact. Now days I shoot them, I still have a dog but she indicates, mind you she has stopped them before, but 1 dog is a recipe for disaster for all concerned.
    mudgripz, stingray and outlander like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

MB
    Pig ain't nothing, try a turkey
    outlander likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/10003630355...347968882/?d=n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    erniec likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Pig ain't nothing, try a turkey
    Oh fuck me a classic retort, possibly the best one yet.
    MB likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I bet they never do a story about every wannabe action man and woman who arse off their mountain bike and end up in A&E..........
    stingray, piwakawaka and outlander like this.