Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Winter 1080 drops

  1. #1
    Member skyflyhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    south otago
    Posts
    80

    Winter 1080 drops

    Anyone know anything bout these drops ?
    If its true , which I really hope not, would be devastating.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member kidmac42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    central otago
    Posts
    804
    Yea, but what can we do? We are only the public. They powers do not listen to us or care. They do what they want regardless.
    veitnamcam and Dublin like this.
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

  3. #3
    Member Sako851's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    520
    If true, this would be extremely disappointing. It would also be a display of today’s way of thinking. Take the weird minorities and give them the choice over the rest of us.
    Such a shame.

    The wife and I are looking forward to migrating south to live because of the “wilderness” type of landscape down there and the freedom to hunt. This would definately put us off

  4. #4
    Member skyflyhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    south otago
    Posts
    80
    What I really dont get is that doc themselves shut the blue mtns to hunting for fawning , I dont know how they can sleep at night

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member skyflyhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    south otago
    Posts
    80


    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    37
    Yes, just been advertised about the 1080 proposed drop in my part of the country being Lake Sumner possibly very soon? Generally recreational hunters can consider themselves very quiet when submissions are asked for on such matters as 1080, WARO and AATH, Mt Cook Park Plan as examples. Some expect the NZDA (about 7000 members) to do all the work but many if not all branches do put in submissions - though a branch submission counts as 1. It is individual submissions that count - a numbers game. With the invention of the computer/email - some would think basic letter writing of hunters concerns would be easier for the masses but not to be..... Forest & Bird for example have a bunch of very literate writers and media contacts.....oh and some have made it to Government over the years.

    As a recent example on WARO - submissions asked for last year from the public and well advertised. I think it was a total of 240 NZ wide received by DOC including my one. That included for example submissions from WARO operators/ Venison Processors/F&B/General public and hunters for and against. Doesn't leave much to the imagination on roughly how many rec hunters made up this tally - bugger all. I went to the Chch meeting last year - one of five rec hunters in the room - outnumbered by DOC staff/veni processors/WARO operator. Hmmm

    Maybe a bit of an expansion from what SkyFlyHigh - wherever in the world they come from? But knowing what is going on is important in this day and age of sharing info on the internet on matters that concern you. Then deciding whether or not you agree or disagree and adding your voice on an opinion/putting pen to paper (for us oldies) if you are concerned about future hunting opportunities.

    We need to use our second vote wisely at the next elections.

  7. #7
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,916
    In some instances Deer repellent has been used that could be worth pushing for seen as how they are RHA areas
    Tahr, NRT and Sako851 like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

  8. #8
    Member skyflyhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    south otago
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    Yes, just been advertised about the 1080 proposed drop in my part of the country being Lake Sumner possibly very soon? Generally recreational hunters can consider themselves very quiet when submissions are asked for on such matters as 1080, WARO and AATH, Mt Cook Park Plan as examples. Some expect the NZDA (about 7000 members) to do all the work but many if not all branches do put in submissions - though a branch submission counts as 1. It is individual submissions that count - a numbers game. With the invention of the computer/email - some would think basic letter writing of hunters concerns would be easier for the masses but not to be..... Forest & Bird for example have a bunch of very literate writers and media contacts.....oh and some have made it to Government over the years.

    As a recent example on WARO - submissions asked for last year from the public and well advertised. I think it was a total of 240 NZ wide received by DOC including my one. That included for example submissions from WARO operators/ Venison Processors/F&B/General public and hunters for and against. Doesn't leave much to the imagination on roughly how many rec hunters made up this tally - bugger all. I went to the Chch meeting last year - one of five rec hunters in the room - outnumbered by DOC staff/veni processors/WARO operator. Hmmm

    Maybe a bit of an expansion from what SkyFlyHigh - wherever in the world they come from? But knowing what is going on is important in this day and age of sharing info on the internet on matters that concern you. Then deciding whether or not you agree or disagree and adding your voice on an opinion/putting pen to paper (for us oldies) if you are concerned about future hunting opportunities.

    We need to use our second vote wisely at the next elections.
    Agree , where do you find out if they're asking for submissions? Must keep it low key . Would be easy to make more hunters aware if we knew when they were asking for them .

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by skyflyhigh View Post
    Agree , where do you find out if they're asking for submissions? Must keep it low key . Would be easy to make more hunters aware if we knew when they were asking for them .

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Also agree we need to band together on but I wouldn't know where to start. @Hunteast can point us in the right direction.

  10. #10
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,650
    Well we can kiss good by the white tail deer in the greenstone if they don't use deer repellent there.

    Since they started pushing for pest free nz this will be how they justify it!

    Right so how did we mobilise for the Tahr?

    This is no different from what I see from the map they are purposely targeting RHA areas. I would put it down as out of spite for the climb down and mud on face from Tahrmageddon can almost guarantee that.

    What's National say about this? They jumped last time wonder if they will this time?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  11. #11
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by skyflyhigh View Post


    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    @skyflyhigh where did you get the map? I can't find that any where could you please post a link. The DOC web site is SOOOOOO slow like trying to wax legs one hair at a time
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  12. #12
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,650
    If we could be more involved in the consultation we could at least get them to use deer repellent in these RHA areas.

    We won't get them to stop the 1080. I don't think this is really the issue here. But if they used deer repellent in the RHA areas it would be a step in the right direction.
    Dublin likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  13. #13
    Dev
    Dev is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    54
    How effective is deer repellent and how do we know it’s being used once they have agreed?

  14. #14
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev View Post
    How effective is deer repellent and how do we know it’s being used once they have agreed?
    No shortage of deer in the Haurangis where its used. The NZDA have monitored 1080 repellant drops in the past.
    Boaraxa, Dublin and Dev like this.

  15. #15
    Member skyflyhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    south otago
    Posts
    80
    @Sideshow I screen shot it of a Facebook post , I can't find it on doc website either. Looks to be dated 12th feb 19 so should be somewhere .

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27-11-2016, 11:45 AM
  2. 1080 drops
    By tetawa in forum Hunting
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 07:22 PM
  3. Actual drops - speed calc
    By ebf in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 11:34 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 19-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!