Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Rushy
  • 2 Post By davhope
  • 2 Post By planenutz
  • 3 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By Ranger 888
  • 2 Post By Pav
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 1 Post By Countryside

Thread: Woodhill block 7 advice

Woodhill block 7 advice

I've been very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to get out into block 7. I missed the ballot but am massively lucky to be involved with some awesome people. Has anyone hunted this block? Any useful advice around block 7 or woodhill in general would be appreciated. Cheers

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I had a farm with a common boundary with the Woodhill Forest and shot countless Fallow deer while there. I am not sure where block seven is but there are a hell of a lot of deer in that forest (minus the two that my nephew shot on duck season opening morning). If the block shares a boundary with farm land then skirt along just inside that as they love to migrate out to the grass and they don’t go far back into the forest when they have finished feeding. If the block has a fresh water, source then check around that. The little buggers are creatures of habit and gregarious so where you see one there will likely be others so look for and identify the animal you want and resist the urge to quickly shoot the first one you see as it may not be the sex you have a permit to harvest.
    Russian 22. and Nathanfish like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanfish View Post
    I've been very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to get out into block 7. I missed the ballot but am massively lucky to be involved with some awesome people. Has anyone hunted this block? Any useful advice around block 7 or woodhill in general would be appreciated. Cheers
    I drew block 7 2 years ago, my advice would be to put in the effort and walk all the way to the far end, it's a really long block, 10km or so, then hunt your way back along the land side boundary, there is, (or was) a big patch of cutover about half way back, it's a great place to park up and glass in the late afternoon if the weather is on your side,
    Good luck.
    Nathanfish and mimms2 like this.

My mate and I have enjoyed Block 7 three times now. The last time I was there we sat and watched the sun go down and in that last 30 minutes before dark counted 47 deer. They were in groups of 3 to 5 animals and from our vantage point looking over a large area of felled land we could have shot dozens. We were looking for a nice buck but didn't see anything worth taking so just enjoyed the view. On the walk back to the vehicle we put up 4 more animals but time was up so they were safe. We had also spooked 6 or 7 deer out of a gut at first light, so there are heaps of deer around.

It's a great day out but its getting too expensive for me, what with the entry fee plus flights from here to there. Since first being successful in 1992 we've been able to secure just 11 trips and shot only 3 deer and 2 pigs. Still, its always an enjoyable outting.

Good luck!
    Nathanfish and mimms2 like this.

If you talk nice to the Rangers / security they might drop you at the far end....... take a packet of biscuits to bribe them with.... they will most likely be at the car park already when you turn up. And may well offer up to date information, to make your hunt successful.
    They are great people doing a great job and are there to make the day safe and eventful for everyone.
    chainsaw, Nathanfish and mimms2 like this.

Ditto to all of the above..I liked to get up there before daybreak and be on my block at first shooting light. I also used to go up midweek a week before my ballot period and walk the whole block..that used to show me where the hotspots were. Stay alert the whole time you are on the block. After a very long, tiring day, I bowled a big stag just as I was about to walk off my block, 100 metres from the end of the block, next to the access road.
    johnd likes this.

Pav
    Sorry mate not much help, I've only hunted block3 last year but I've attached a copy of the block maps from last year in case you haven't already seen one.Name:  Screenshot_20210525-132620_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  815.5 KB
    planenutz and Nathanfish like this.

Thanks for the information guys, its definitely helping with planning how I cover ground. Cheers

I had 6 which isn't as good as 7. Saw alot of deer, if you hear a shot keep your eyes peeled as you will see deer running
    Nathanfish likes this.

Be interested hearing how you get on mate, had block 2 few years back only came across a few animals all day had a heap of young pines with toetoe in-between so, visibility wasn't the greatest, have been lucky enough to pull block 8 this year so fingers crossed its a decent block haha
    Nathanfish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryside View Post
    Be interested hearing how you get on mate, had block 2 few years back only came across a few animals all day had a heap of young pines with toetoe in-between so, visibility wasn't the greatest, have been lucky enough to pull block 8 this year so fingers crossed its a decent block haha
    Yeah mate I will give an update. Hopefully good news, fingers crossed. Good luck with block 8