Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ebf
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Spanners

Thread: [Wellington] Need shotgun hulls

[Wellington] Need shotgun hulls

Start saving your 12 gauge shotgun hulls boys I need a few hundred of them at least. I am trying to get in to shotshell reloading but the pickings are god damn slim in NZ for even just basic components. And who want's to jump through customs hoops these days.

If you already have a random stockpile let me know, a good assorted mix of high and low brass 2.75" and 3" would be good and obviously in alright condition, not all munted and stepped on and full of gravel.

Price we can figure out when I get a feel for whats available.

ebf
    Just go to any of the local clay targets clubs and speak to the person in charge. If you ask nicely I am sure they will let you raid the bins to your hearts content.

Having said that, nobody I know reloads 12g anymore. When you factor in time etc it is far cheaper to buy bulk slabs. Maybe for less common calibers, but not for bog standard 12g.
    Steve123 and berg243 like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

You need to be a bit selective in what empties you grab. I reload a bit of 12 gauge for novelty purposes the eley cases are crap the primer pockets are so loose after firing that the new ones are so loose they can rattle out.
    Look for target products club, Olympic or v. Winchester aaa are probably the best but hard to find.
    Just as an exercise I have reloaded cartridges using recovered fired wads and found them to pattern the same as factory ammo, had to use new shot though couldn't fine any used stuff.
    As an interesting aside silica gel those little beads can be used as starling shot in the woolshed with no fear of damaging the roof.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 21-12-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    john m, Moa Hunter and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Just go to any of the local clay targets clubs and speak to the person in charge. If you ask nicely I am sure they will let you raid the bins to your hearts content.

Having said that, nobody I know reloads 12g anymore. When you factor in time etc it is far cheaper to buy bulk slabs. Maybe for less common calibers, but not for bog standard 12g.

Ah good call, thanks man.

Yeah I sure don't plan on reloading 7.5 shot that's for sure. I want to make some little 2 or even widdle 1.75 inchers to exploit the 5 round magazine law, just for the hell of it, and I'll mostly be doing slugs which at $2 a pop retail will definitely be cheaper to reload. Also keen to import some molds for exotic slugs like some of the crazy Russian ones you see TAOFLEDERMAUS shooting on YouTube. Might even dust off the lathe and see what kind of wacky slugs I can come out with.

Basically I will just be making rounds I can't buy or that are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    You need to be a bit selective in what empties you grab. I reload a bit of 12 gauge for novelty purposes the eley cases are crap the primer pockets are so loose after firing that the new ones are so loose they can rattle out.
    Look for target products club, Olympic or v. Winchester aaa are probably the best but hard to find.
    Just as an exercise I have reloaded cartridges using recovered fired wads and found them to pattern the same as factory ammo, had to use new shot though couldn't fine any used stuff.
    As an interesting aside silica gel those little beads can be used as starling shot in the woolshed with no fear of damaging the roof.
    Thanks man good call. I love that you tried to find used shot haha, some of the range goblins who pan for lead at the backstop might have some for you. I actually have a bucket of 7.5 from when I used to make ghetto slugs, I'd buy cheap gun city 7.5 and cut off the crimp, empty out the shot and push in a molded slug.

i have a stack of 12g reloading stuff,powder,primers,wads some cases ,mec600jnr etc .if you want to have a look and make an offer think i even have some off that old lead stuff as well may be some buckshot etc
    Last edited by sig4x4; 21-12-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    Thanks man good call. I love that you tried to find used shot haha, some of the range goblins who pan for lead at the backstop might have some for you. I actually have a bucket of 7.5 from when I used to make ghetto slugs, I'd buy cheap gun city 7.5 and cut off the crimp, empty out the shot and push in a molded slug.
    That's what I do too.
    I think Gamebore EVO were a fast 1 oz trap load. I'd cut the crimp off, push in a slug (1 oz) then roll crimp it. Ended up with a short fast slug load. Could get an extra one in the tube.
    Overkill is still dead.

I've got most of a slab worth of fresh empties up in Hawkes Bay. Free if you want it

I found that the reloaded slugs never shot that well.
    Well none of mine did anyway

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I have many 1000s of Win AA once fired hulls.
    Have just got stuff out of storage into the shed so will start unpacking over the next month. If you are still looking hit me up start of Feb.
    Depending on where you get your lead and powder from, you can load Trap and Skeet loads for under 1/2 bulk price and rabbit loads etc for a hell of a lot cheaper.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Have just got stuff out of storage into the shed so will start unpacking over the next month. If you are still looking hit me up start of Feb.
    Depending on where you get your lead and powder from, you can load Trap and Skeet loads for under 1/2 bulk price and rabbit loads etc for a hell of a lot cheaper.
    I get my ADI powder in 2kg jugs from Brian Thompson in Te Puke. Around $195. He also has 11kg bags of shot at reasonable prices. Lists on TM. He knows about darn near everything worth knowing about MEC presses and is happy to talk you through setup and using one and has parts available. I believe he is a or the MEC agent in NZ. PM me if you need his contact details.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    @Spanners I would be keen for some of the Win AA hulls once you sort out unpacking.