Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: 1/4- 1/2 hp electric motor

1/4- 1/2 hp electric motor

Guys lookin to build myself another wee sawbench for mancave.Unfortunately in my absence my son got rid of my stock of motors in my old shed and a couple of donated sawbenches prior to it being demolished during subdivision.also if anyone has a spare spindle lying about would also be happy to grab it .

@Maca49 is your man
    Maca49 likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Guys lookin to build myself another wee sawbench for mancave.Unfortunately in my absence my son got rid of my stock of motors in my old shed and a couple of donated sawbenches prior to it being demolished during subdivision.also if anyone has a spare spindle lying about would also be happy to grab it .
    What kw and speed?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

std 1/4 hp washing machine motor used to be 1425rpm IIRC. I remember having a 1/2hp sitting under my workbench rated at 2850 but son tells me he biffed it cause it was seized up;. my std ratio for sawbench was approx 3;1 which coped well with what was fed in as long as you didnt rush it.

A sawbench for what? If it's basic dressed timber cutting no more than 50mm thick, you -might- get away with a 1/4hp at a slow feed rate. If it's 75mm thick firewood that isn't fully dry, you could well need a full horsepower with a 250mm blade.

A bit like rifles, some spare horsepower is always good

I have some second hand .75kw 1400 rpm imperial framed foot mount motor. PM me
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I may be able to help you with these items. I have a 1/3 HP 1425 RPM single phase motor which I was just about to put on Trademe with a modest reserve. Freight could be a problem though, unless you know somebody who will be travelling from the Wellington region to Chch. Courier cost could be more than the motor is worth. I also have two 3 phase motors, 1/2 HP and 1 HP, but they will only be of use if you have 3 phase power supply.Name:  DSC_0438.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  2.35 MB

I also have two saw spindles. One made by Trojan, shown in the attached photo, and another consisting of two pillow blocks with plain bronze bearings, mounted on a steel plate. The shaft has saw collars at one end and a chuck (somewhat rusty) at the other end. I will photograph it tomorrow if you are interested.

There is a minor problem with the Trojan spindle. I put it on Trademe months ago, and the auction winner paid me $27, the amount of his bid but no freight cost, then vanished without trace! Several emails, the last one tonight, have gone unanswered. I have pointed out that I cannot hold it forever. If re-selling it, I would expect $27, in case that bidder does suddenly re-appear and want his money back.

Hmm - that photo didn't come out too well so I'll try another.
    Name:  DSC_0439.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  2.45 MB
    Last edited by redrover; 27-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.

What's your timeline for build? Think I have a few floating around will ned to check specs on them

thanks guys -no timeline happy to wait as ive still got to sort out mancave ,truck and a list of other stuff.

I've got a few under the bench at home, will have a look whats there Monday

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

what sort of hp can those shafts handle ? looking to make a bench mounted belt sander when i get workshop built.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    what sort of hp can those shafts handle ? looking to make a bench mounted belt sander when i get workshop built.
    Who (or what) is this question directed to?

Quote Originally Posted by redrover View Post
    Who (or what) is this question directed to?
    sorry you @redrover was looking at making a belt sander but just found a cheap one at m10 yesterday that i might try.