Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 10/22 Lightweight Bull Barrel

10/22 Lightweight Bull Barrel

Has anyone got a lightweight .920" 10/22 barrel they are looking to sell? Thinking Volquartsen, Kidd, Whistle Pig etc - either aluminium or carbon fibre sleeved. The shorter the better, threaded would be great.

Unfortunately the Grey Birch option I'd planned on didn't work out. Thought I'd ask here before laying the money down on a new Volquartsen with a 6 month delivery time.

I'm sorry I can't help on the barrel @PaulNZ but what went wrong on the Grey Birch option please ?

I to would like some thing similar .

@PaulNZ

Can I ask why the Grey Birch option is a no go?
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    @PaulNZ

Can I ask why the Grey Birch option is a no go?
    +1 to that question....
    born to hunt - forced to work

USA guns have the lightweight Kidd barrel in stock currently

It's a fair question, though to be honest I was hoping not to get into that too much. Suffice to say my particular barrel wasn't as accurate as it should have been and I've got a pretty good idea of why. But other people are reporting better performance than I got, so I don't really want to put negative reviews around the net based on a sample of 1. Particularly when the NZ distributor is working to make it right.

Bear in mind I wasn't even fitting the barrel to a 10/22, which means fitting and testing the barrel is a bit more involved than plug-and-play. If you're putting the barrel on a 10/22 (like a normal person!) you're not risking much given there's the accuracy guarantee to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

I did go over the barrel pretty thoroughly while I had it, so if you have specific questions then send me a PM and I'll answer them as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesyd View Post
    USA guns have the lightweight Kidd barrel in stock currently
    Thanks. I see that, but my preference was for full .920 diameter rather than .860 (given I've already modified the stock) and a 16.5" barrel is second choice behind a 12.5" barrel. At the full retail price of the Kidd I'll probably pay the bit extra to get the barrel I really want. I did consider getting the Kidd and chopping it back and rethreading, but the bore on those is supposed to be choked so it's probably not a good idea.
    Jamesyd likes this.

Bump. I'll probably order the VQ tomorrow if nothing much is on offer?

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    i have been looking closely at grey birch since it was available for pre order. i have been wondering why, after more than a year on the market, not a single review. For such a high end and niche product, great, multiple, multi platform reviews are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    i have been looking closely at grey birch since it was available for pre order. i have been wondering why, after more than a year on the market, not a single review. For such a high end and niche product, great, multiple, multi platform reviews are a must.
    There's a review (positive) on here from a thread I started, but otherwise I agree it seems pretty quiet. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that though, because often a bad review gets more mileage than a good one. Which is why I'm trying to be a bit circumspect.
    I'd buy one again if the particular barrel I was getting was tested on a 10/22 and shown to be sub-moa at 50m as advertised, before I machined and fitted it. Not a lot of lightweight alternatives around in the shorter length. I just don't want to roll the dice again.
    Anyone want to buy and test one for me?

Thank you @PaulNZ I want a nice short, suppressed, super accurate Ruger 10/22 a (SSS Ruger 10/22 ?) & was eyeing up the Grey Birch barrels also but couldn't find enough info on their use or accuracy & like you was thinking of shortening a Kidd barrel, the pity is in the US 12.5in long barrel is too short for a lot of there rules/laws that's why Canada & the UK have the short barrels !

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Thank you @PaulNZ I want a nice short, suppressed, super accurate Ruger 10/22 a (SSS Ruger 10/22 ?) & was eyeing up the Grey Birch barrels also but couldn't find enough info on their use or accuracy & like you was thinking of shortening a Kidd barrel, the pity is in the US 12.5in long barrel is too short for a lot of there rules/laws that's why Canada & the UK have the short barrels !
    i flirted with the same idea and also looked into the birch barrels with much the same conclusions. Even considered a GC carbon barrel as they are shorter but couldn't find any reviews on those either besides the promises the salesman made me so abandoned the idea .

I run a Gun City Carbon Tension Barrel on my 10/22, I've heard others complain about feed issues etc. In my experience Initially I had a few teething issues, the chamber was cut to a sharp 90 edge which acted like a knife, slicing into the front of the soft lead projectiles causing it to jam up.
    I reviewed the Sammi specs for a chamber and it indicated the edge of the breech face should have a slight bevel less than half a mm,
    I vslightly rounded off the throat of the chamber and solved all the feed issues I'd been having. Its run fine ever since.
    They're a short 12.5' barrel, treaded with an integral silencer that matches the barrel profile, I've not tried the more expensive carbon barrels but after a bit of head scratching and minor mods the GC one worked well..
    Attachment 160842Attachment 160843Attachment 160844

Quote Originally Posted by OBRIEN View Post
    I run a Gun City Carbon Tension Barrel on my 10/22, I've heard others complain about feed issues etc. In my experience Initially I had a few teething issues, the chamber was cut to a sharp 90 edge which acted like a knife, slicing into the front of the soft lead projectiles causing it to jam up.
    I reviewed the Sammi specs for a chamber and it indicated the edge of the breech face should have a slight bevel less than half a mm,
    I vslightly rounded off the throat of the chamber and solved all the feed issues I'd been having. Its run fine ever since.
    They're a short 12.5' barrel, treaded with an integral silencer that matches the barrel profile, I've not tried the more expensive carbon barrels but after a bit of head scratching and minor mods the GC one worked well..
    Attachment 160842Attachment 160843Attachment 160844
    how"s the accuracy @OBRIEN ? acceptable ? Not sure I would go with the carbon silencer fitted myself ,. The idea of all the crap 22 tends to leave behind filling the holes below the carbon barrel sheath does nothing for me and they seem a bit small in capacity to me ....

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at a Volquartsen THM 12.5" barrel. Unfortunately as it was made for the Ruger 'Charger' 10/22, it would apparently arrive at the border classified as a pistol part and needing the appropriate endorsements. There goes that idea.

You could still try a Grey Birch barrel. If it works out, you have something that you can't get elsewhere in NZ and for a good price. If it doesn't and as long as you got agreement up front on the accuracy requirements, you can fall back on the warranty and be out only on time, ammunition and maybe shipping. Whether that's worth it is up to you. Note - if you're using a suppressor on these, check the alignment before you shoot! Risk/reward ratio definitely goes bad if you start putting bullets into the baffles during your testing.

Unless Grey Birch want to send me a pre-tested barrel rather than off-the-shelf, I guess I'll compromise with the longer 16.5" Volquartsen or Kidd Barrel when they come into the country.

One other thought - I see Beyer barrels do an aluminium-sleeved bull barrel that sells via Brownells. If it's not choked or tensioned, I could always cut one back and re-thread at whatever length I desired. Pity they're out of stock at the moment.