Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 2 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By Cody.a

Thread: 12g single barrel shotgun.....CHEAP

12g single barrel shotgun.....CHEAP

Hi guys, ive got an urge to dabble in blackpowder muzzle loading……(I know, I know….been watching too many Dave Canterbury videos and want to give it a try)

Now….i don’t know how long I will preserve with this as I have the attention span of a puppy, but would like to have a ‘load’ sorted for ‘opening day’ next May

So as im a cheapskate and of course cant hunt on DOC land with a shotgun, Im making it a $100 project (WTF)….

All I need is a 12g single barrel shotgun, with a Modified/Cylinder choke that is ‘tight as a nuns’ when locked……a Baikal (chrome barrel) would be the dogs swingers

Theres all kinds of dicey shite on TM, so im asking my fellow forum members ‘is there anything out there you would sell’….or...contribute? (crawly bum lick)
    Beaker and WallyR like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

why not just load black powder shells a lot easier than muzzle loading I shoot both but wouldn't hunt with a muzzle loader quite often its raining and one drop on ya powder its fucked a cartridge is all contained and far more reliable are you looking at shooting shot or round ball both can be loaded into a shot shell so you could even drop a deer if you wanted
    Scouser likes this.

I'm guna be bloody impressed if you get this set up for under $100 and manage to get something next season
    Scouser likes this.

The whole exercise is just an experiment....will not be shooting anything but ducks (hopefully) and maybe rabbits on a mates farm.....

The $100 project is just for the 'starter kit' for the actual shotgun....Reloaders have Baikals for $220, so might go there......then theres powder, primers, shot ect

It's all really just for a bit of fun....I hope.....can't see me hunting deer with it, but you never know when you start having a play.....don't want to drop heavy coin on all the gear needed just want see what develops
    Beaker likes this.

I got a Baikal in average nick. Palmy North. Bit of blueing has gone, chip in the stock.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    The whole exercise is just an experiment....will not be shooting anything but ducks (hopefully) and maybe rabbits on a mates farm.....

The $100 project is just for the 'starter kit' for the actual shotgun....Reloaders have Baikals for $220, so might go there......then theres powder, primers, shot ect

It's all really just for a bit of fun....I hope.....can't see me hunting deer with it, but you never know when you start having a play.....don't want to drop heavy coin on all the gear needed just want see what develops
    in that case buy a Baikal and just load your own bp shells I have a press to load 2-3/4 shells which you can have free I don't need it
    your load would be primer, about 60-70gn 2fg black,wad,1-1/4 oz shot star crimped boom shoot ducks if you really want to muzzle load keep an eye out for a proper muzzle loading shotgun you should get one for around $250 (nothing flash) if you are in no rush but as I say id suggest shells for hunting much simpler and less hassle
    jakewire and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    in that case buy a Baikal and just load your own bp shells I have a press to load 2-3/4 shells which you can have free I don't need it
    your load would be primer, about 60-70gn 2fg black,wad,1-1/4 oz shot star crimped boom shoot ducks if you really want to muzzle load keep an eye out for a proper muzzle loading shotgun you should get one for around $250 (nothing flash) if you are in no rush but as I say id suggest shells for hunting much simpler and less hassle
    Wow @rambo-6mmrem that is an awesome offer....i'll take your hand off for that mate, PM on the way....as in my original email i just want to give it a bash, that why im not forking out too much cash in case its all gone pear shaped (like the end of the barrel!!!) by christmas.....cheers mate, cannot thank you enough....

Me a you both bro I've watched a bit of dave! You gunna try the inserts for different calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody.a View Post
    Me a you both bro I've watched a bit of dave! You gunna try the inserts for different calibers?
    Nar mate, I've heard they are not accurate as there not long enough and 'keyhole'.....your not his 'mate' Cody from Dual Survivor are you!!!!

Nah haha I like my shoes
    Scouser likes this.

Hi guys, just an update I have agreed to buy a shottie off a forum member, he can decide if he wants this known....

Its what I was after, Baikal, really wanted the chrome barrel and no external hammer......stoked

I have received some fantastic offers and advice, big thanks to @rambo-6mmrem for the you tude vids, awesome

Really looking forward to getting this project going!!!!!!,