Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Martin358

Thread: .17 Hornady hornet OR hornet action

Ejected

.17 Hornady hornet OR hornet action

Anything considered....

@Martin358 - this might help you a bit mate.

I have a savage mod 25 17 hornet, bushnell 6-24, suppressor dies and cases. Is this the sort of rifle you are after.
    WallyR likes this.

Consider a BRNO 465 as the action for your rifle. I took this path when I wanted a 17 Ackley Hornet. Getting the shot out 22 Hornet BRNO 465 rifle was relatively easy (actually, the barrels are never shot out, they are always rusted out, due to lack of care). Getting the 17 cal barrel was a bit of a mission (a Green Mountain blank from the USA). And persuading PTG to supply a reamer took a bit of effort. But the result was very satisfying. The only downside to the 465 action is the lack of spare magazines. However, i did see some clever bit of advice somewhere on the web about how to modify a more recent and more available CZ magazine into something that would fit and feed a 465. Also, the feed lips on the 465 22 Hornet mag need to be bent slightly with a pair of pliers until they will feed the different shaped cartridges reliably. The much easier alternative is to buy a recent CZ 22 Hornet, have the barrel removed, sell it on. Buy a 17 cal barrel (are Truflite making these now?) and have the rifle made up by a gunsmith who already has the 17 HH reamer. This way you will have readily available magazines, and a very nice single set trigger (rather than the double set trigger of the BRNO, which some people do not like). Be careful that the reamer that is used for the rifle chambering matches available brass dimensions. Apparently (according to work done by posters on Saubier.com), PPU is the best current Hornet brass (definitely not Hornady) if it is not possible to get RWS manufactured cases.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Consider a BRNO 465 as the action for your rifle. I took this path when I wanted a 17 Ackley Hornet. Getting the shot out 22 Hornet BRNO 465 rifle was relatively easy (actually, the barrels are never shot out, they are always rusted out, due to lack of care). Getting the 17 cal barrel was a bit of a mission (a Green Mountain blank from the USA). And persuading PTG to supply a reamer took a bit of effort. But the result was very satisfying. The only downside to the 465 action is the lack of spare magazines. However, i did see some clever bit of advice somewhere on the web about how to modify a more recent and more available CZ magazine into something that would fit and feed a 465. Also, the feed lips on the 465 22 Hornet mag need to be bent slightly with a pair of pliers until they will feed the different shaped cartridges reliably. The much easier alternative is to buy a recent CZ 22 Hornet, have the barrel removed, sell it on. Buy a 17 cal barrel (are Truflite making these now?) and have the rifle made up by a gunsmith who already has the 17 HH reamer. This way you will have readily available magazines, and a very nice single set trigger (rather than the double set trigger of the BRNO, which some people do not like). Be careful that the reamer that is used for the rifle chambering matches available brass dimensions. Apparently (according to work done by posters on Saubier.com), PPU is the best current Hornet brass (definitely not Hornady) if it is not possible to get RWS manufactured cases.
    Cz do sell a rifle chambered in .17 hornet

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    I have a savage mod 25 17 hornet, bushnell 6-24, suppressor dies and cases. Is this the sort of rifle you are after.
    I'd be more interested in the Bushnell 6-24 scope for my F/TR in 308 mate.
    See ya soon

I have two CZ hornet rifles in NZ, an american and a varmint, Planning on selling one, as now have a CZ 221 fireball, (still in Canada for Now)

Out of country right now, not back till late November or Early December,
    If your anywere near New Plymouth, could line up with the old man, to show them,
    will come with a spare .17 hornet mag. rings, ammo if picked up,
    Can bring back dies and brass from Canada, $40-50 Cad for .17 HH brass (50), redding die set is $109