Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker

Thread: 17HMR

17HMR

Have been toying with the idea of 17hmr for a while but I'm still on the fence about it as I prefer to be as quiet as possible when doing my pest work. For a while I also considered a 17 Hornet or .204, if I'm going to make lots of noise varminting I may as well do it properly eh, but the cost of ammo is getting up there a bit.

So, has anyone got a cheaper 17HMR they would like to sell on to give me a chance to see if I actually get on well with the calibre before buying a more expensive rig? Doesn't need to have a scope or silencer with it as I have plenty of those.

Cheers

go buy a rossi 22wmr semi, great value ! supressed they have less "crack" than a 17

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    go buy a rossi 22wmr semi, great value ! supressed they have less "crack" than a 17
    I have heard some good things about those but 2 of the main reasons I want the HMR is for flatter shooting (the less remembering the different hold overs/unders between all my different rigs the better!), and the second reason is a need for a fairly frangable projectile. From what I understand 22 mag doesn't really perform as well as 17hmr in either of those requirements.

those 30 grain hornadys are flat and hit real hard.
    mudgripz and Uplandstalker like this.

Hey. I run a couple of 17HMR (Tikka) for pest work (my primary income) mainly harvesting small game for human consumption and some pet food. Mainly head shooting and yes, the 17hmr is certainly better for this than 22mag as it flatter shooting. Don't need to worry about elevation adjustment from 60 to about 120m. Sure issues with the wind.

Ammo supply is likely the bigger issue on the short to medium term depending on the volume you are shooting. Plus the cost is getting up to be close or more than 223. But depending on the properties, 223 might be an option anyway.

22mag certainly has its place given the current ammo situation and if shooting hares and wallaby, it's worth a second look.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The 30gn Vmax in 22mag are great for fragmenting and shooting very flat compared to the normal hollow points

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Shamus_ likes this.

I have a T1x for sale @$750,lighter trigger spring,the more vertical replacement grip,20" inch barrel.
    Also for sale with the rifle an entire brick minus about 10rnds of 17gr v-max for $200
    Greystone over barrel 17hmr suppressor $200

Got a suppressed Lithgow 101 Crossover 17HMR that I might sell. Great rifle, very accurate - but won't be cheap, sorry. Got about 200 rounds of ammo as well ...

Have my Marlin 917V back in Hastings, that I'd be willing to part with as I don't use it anymore-killed all the rabbits . Think $650 would be fair Inc gunworks suppressor. Here is my previous listing for it ( https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-%24900-24608/) have since sold the Boyds stock separately

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Have been toying with the idea of 17hmr for a while but I'm still on the fence about it as I prefer to be as quiet as possible when doing my pest work. For a while I also considered a 17 Hornet or .204, if I'm going to make lots of noise varminting I may as well do it properly eh, but the cost of ammo is getting up there a bit.

So, has anyone got a cheaper 17HMR they would like to sell on to give me a chance to see if I actually get on well with the calibre before buying a more expensive rig? Doesn't need to have a scope or silencer with it as I have plenty of those.

Cheers
    Get one. You wonít regret it. I certainly havenít.,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey would you consider selling the 17 ammo separately?

Sorry mate,ammo was only for sale with the rifle which is now sold waiting pickup.

ive got a brand new savage a17 for 950 with suppressor