Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 17wsm

17wsm

Have my eye out for one, won't be able to fully in forms and organise things until may but if anyone has one sitting in the safe not being used or sees one in there travels.....
    Maca49 and dannyb like this.

Fish city have a savage 17wsm at the moment

Cheers, will keep an eye on that. I think shooters supplies have them new as well going by things online.

In an ideal world.... Left handed, stainless, boyds stock... O and threaded the same as the can that came off my ar (actually no but what the fuck do I do with it now)
    dannyb likes this.

dreams are free

@223nut
    Couple of things. If you've been doing your research on these they are a bit of a pain. Earlier ones had differing accuracy-literally hit and miss with some owners doing a lot of work to get them going. I do believe the newer ones especially with the boyd stocks and fatter barrels have brought the averages up.
    The Tupperware stocks on the Bmags certainly did them no favours and are meant to a beyatch to bed to get them back.
    Not a great selection out there either but the consensus seems to be the Bmag is the pick as you pay heaps more for the Ruger and still probably have to do a shit ton of work on bedding and trigger so may as well stick to the Savage.
    Not a lot of choice in the rifles-about 5 all up. A tricky one that is now a moot point with your experience is the Franklin armoury upper for AR's. Dear as poison but meant to shoot well.
    As for ammo its all made by the same outfit-Winchester I think. Doesn't matter if its federal etc-its all Winchester with different head stamps. Different batch's can have more effect on accuracy than anything.
    25 grainers don't always work in them but still worth a try.
    Big thing is that the ones who like them really like them. I've considered getting a handi rifle in 17hmr and having the chamber opened up-that wouldn't cost me bugger all as a good machinist friend has told me he'd help with that. Only thing is the hammer usually needs some work to get it to hit harder.
    when you get one let me know how you go lol

Buy a CZ .17 Hornet... You ll be wrapped they come with accuracy at no extra price ..

Name:  IMG_1475.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  1.57 MB
    tetawa, GWH, Dama dama and 2 others like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Cheers for that info, all the stuff I was finding was pretty old.

Looks like I need to find some more budget.... How much am I getting for my ar again....

@Happy have had a play with one and enjoyed it but i'm too lazy to reload, how much 17 hornet factory ammo compare for quality and price.... (off to find out myself)

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @Happy have had a play with one and enjoyed it but i'm too lazy to reload, how much 17 hornet factory ammo compare for quality and price.... (off to find out myself)
    I just buy a box every now and then.. Dont use a lot cos the hits out weigh the misses

My best so far magpie at 350 mtrs.... Love myna birds they pop
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Buy a CZ .17 Hornet... You ll be wrapped they come with accuracy at no extra price ..

Attachment 107837
    Yes i agree, as you know i have recently aquired a CZ 17H and im loving it. Accurate as and hits hard.

Hmmm ok you hornet boys are swaying me....

I'm with you on this. All the research I did led me to the hornet and after talking to Happy the other day I'm going to get one. Just need to get down to Happys to have a shot.
    Does anyone have one they want to get rid of......??

Big one is do you want to reload for it. If you don't and don't want to keep your brass, then that is what would sway me to the wsm.
    If you did a lot of shooting then it would be worth the 17 hornet in a big way. It just would.
    If you are like me and want one for the odd bomb up 17wsm ammo is cheaper and I wouldn't feel guilty losing the brass.