Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

20 - 28 gauge chamber inserts

Convert your 20 gauge break open gun to 28 gauge.

Tried your youngster on a 20 gauge and they still found the recoil to much ?
    Dont get a .410 !! thats nearly impossible to hit / kill things with.
    Try a real gauge This cartridge is highly underated here in NZ. I took it up due to shoulder surgery, and have used with great success for the last 3 seasons.
    Now I have committed and bought a whole gun these tubes are surplus.

Try it out for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a new gun.

Check out "gaugemate gold" on the interweb

These cost me over $300 landed here and will sell for $175

Name:  DSCN0559.JPG
Views: 740
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  DSCN2024.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  125.9 KB

R93
    Whats the availability and average price like for 28 gauge ammo John? Cant say I have come across much of it but I spose I haven't really looked. I love the .410 but ammo it getting ridiculous

Sorry I can't see how they work ? What stops them ejecting / extracting , and what happens to wad once past the insert ? Pressure / gasses etc ? . As above thought they would have to be full length . Sorry but is playing on my mind

Ammo prices vary, About $16 a box if you buy a flat at a time (250) from the likes of Mai mai supplies Or arond $22 if you buy a box from H & F etc Also depends on Cay bird ammo or hunting ammo .... clay ammo about 115 a flat.

tubes stay in chamber because of the longitudinal split down the tube which turns it into a long spring so this means it will work as an extractor and present the case as in the top photo. I have shot them in a couple of 20's and neither had the power to eject the tube.
    Because they are held under tension in the chamber they have to be removed with the red handled tool ( 2nd photo ) Once fired you can pick the case out with a thumb nail flick. These work way better than "chambermates" that are removed from the gun once fired and a stick etc used to poke the fired case from the tube.

what happens to the wad once it gets past the end of the tube...... it opens up to the diameter of the barrel continues on its way untill it gets to the choke then is effected by the choke just as a normal pattern full = full skeet = skeet.
    The experts say that it is like an over bored shotgun barrel .... same theory.
    In comparison to a proper 28 gauge shot from a proper gun it actually has better patterns ( this I have seen for myself )

Sorry you cant properly see the split in the 2nd photo but the tube on the left just shows it on its right hand edge.

Heres another picture to show the split down the length of the tube

And here is their web site GaugeMate

28 gauge cartridge on top ( RED )
    20 gauge on bottom ( YELLOW )

Name:  DSCN0563.JPG
Views: 1477
Size:  137.7 KB