Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Stager BLK Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tahrzan

Thread: .223 - preferably sako/tikka/browning

.223 - preferably sako/tikka/browning

I recently asked for advice in a thread over in firearms and was lucky to be provided with some great feedback. Off the back of that advice Iím in the market for either tikka or possibly sako. Ideally in the walnut stainless hunter model but will consider anything. Another option is one of the browning superlights if itís a proven shooter.
    Look forward to seeing whatís about
    Cheers

you could do a LOT worse than buying that lovely old BSA thats up for sale........ you know what you are getting and plenty of info out there on fine tuning if its not quite spot on...though it looks to be great as is.

Tikka with 8 twist.

I could be tempted to part with my tikka strata
    As new and great accuracy with factory ammo.

I would echo the Tikka with a 1:8 twist.
    Getting some great results out of mine with the heavier Speer 75's - Std Tikka contour barrel.
    This with a Yo dave Trigger spring and T3x stock options would be perfect for you down there.

Maybe a strata would also be a good option as they are Ceracoted barrel / action/ bolt for the conditions. But remember they are superlight - fluted, so will have resulting plusses and minuses there.
    If you're a lefty and want something in wood - reach out.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Right handed @Carpe Diem . Thanks though
    There are a couple options available, which is greatly appreciated, but to help make my decision I have another question…
    Do you shorten a .223 or not?
    I had previously owned a 16” AR which shot reasonably well so had assumed it wouldn’t matter to cut it down. A couple options are nice rifles which I would hate to unwittingly butcher.
    Application would be occasionally wallabies a bit of target/varmint with my young kids eventually but mainly bush stalking.
    Cheers
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Hey @Tahrzan, I have a sako75 walnut stainless rifle in .22-250 that I'm thinking of parting with. PM me if you're interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahrzan View Post
    Right handed @Carpe Diem . Thanks though
    There are a couple options available, which is greatly appreciated, but to help make my decision I have another question…
    Do you shorten a .223 or not?
    I had previously owned a 16” AR which shot reasonably well so had assumed it wouldn’t matter to cut it down. A couple options are nice rifles which I would hate to unwittingly butcher.
    Application would be occasionally wallabies a bit of target/varmint with my young kids eventually but mainly bush stalking.
    Cheers
    People seem to cut them down a bit. Plenty of folk on here with 18" 223's and some with 16" or even shorter.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    have a look at the ruger ranch . it is standard with 16 and and 1/2 inch barrel with a twist suitable for up to 75gr projectiles .
    I have one. Agricultural bolt that rewards patient polishing. Its my goto for goats out to 250, neck shots at 120 no prob with basic scope. Better shooters than me will do better. Likes 62 and 69gn pills. Working on a load for 55gn, haven't got there yet. Very accurate. Nice and light. Robust and I like having a 10 shot mag capability.