Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cooee Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: 223- Questions

223- Questions

Evening all.
    Was just after some advice of what twist rate is needed for shooting 55gr to 70gr projectiles.

Was also wondering on people's experiences with brands of them. Is it worth spending a little more and going to a browning or a Tikka compared to the likes of a howa or ruger American.

Also anyone have a 223 for sale?

Cheers guys

I have a 1-12 twist that shoots very accurately to at least 60 gr, I havenít tried going over that.
    7'08 shooter likes this.

From my experience in general 1:12 55gr or less. 1:8 60gr plus, 69-77 performances far superior with a range of ammo out of Tikka and Remington. New tikka, chopped in 1:8 is going to serve you well. Ruger of the shelf treaded and ready to go is hard to go wrong. Spend what you save on good rings and optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7'08 shooter likes this.

1:9 should be ok. I had a Marlin X7 with this twist rate, stabilised 69gr projectiles fine.
    The advantages you gain by buying a Tikka or Browning will be better aesthetics, workmanship, smoother action, you won't really gain much more accuracy, if any.
    Can't go wrong with any of the brands you listed.

most factory 223's are 1-9
    only ones i know of (there will be more) that arn't
    are the zastava m85 mini's 1-12

and tikka/sako offer both 1-12 and 1-8

all the other common brands i know of are 1-9 which is good enough for upto 70 ish and down as low as 40

There is a ruger American 223 on tm. Currently at $406 last I checked. I know the owner and it shoots sub inch at 150m. They are reasonably agricultural but they seem to be good shooters and not expensive
    Trout likes this.

Cheers fellas. Appreciate it.
    In the higher end was looking at an xbolt which are 1-8.

However still unsure as if I would be best off with a howa or ruger instead or just buy once cry once type deal

I have a Bergara singleshot with 1:12 twist that shoots straighter than me. only used PMC bronze 55 grain in it, they work.
    But bang for buck, My Howa mini action, 1:8 twist. 55 grainers as above and Federal Powershock 64 grain when needed.
    Fit a stock or chassis to suit and go for gold.
    Next ammo purchase I will be trying out Belmont's ammo.

Shhh I've got my eye on that one!
    Good to hear someone's opinion on them that doesn't work on the other side of the counter!

Shhh I've got my eye on that one!
    Be Good to hear someone's opinion on them that doesn't work on the other side of the counter!

Quote Originally Posted by 7'08 shooter View Post
    Cheers fellas. Appreciate it.
    In the higher end was looking at an xbolt which are 1-8.

However still unsure as if I would be best off with a howa or ruger instead or just buy once cry once type deal
    A good friend has an x-bolt (the one with 16 inch barrel) I have seen it used on steel targets regularly with 77gn bullets at distances which are not insignificant. Bloody accurate rifle it is from up close to far away!
    viper and 7'08 shooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    I have a Bergara singleshot with 1:12 twist that shoots straighter than me. only used PMC bronze 55 grain in it, they work.
    But bang for buck, My Howa mini action, 1:8 twist. 55 grainers as above and Federal Powershock 64 grain when needed.
    Fit a stock or chassis to suit and go for gold.
    Next ammo purchase I will be trying out Belmont's ammo.
    How do you find the howa?
    The ones I've felt have been a little but clunky, do they smothen up with time?

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    A good friend has an x-bolt (the one with 16 inch barrel) I have seen it used on steel targets regularly with 77gn bullets at distances which are not insignificant. Bloody accurate rifle it is from up close to far away!
    That's awesome, what I like to hear!
    How far out do you think you would of been hitting steel at?

Depends on what you want it for at the end of the day. Is it for varmints like rabbits? Deer stalking? Plinking?

I have a 1:12 twist, admittedly not my first choice but at the end of the day I'll explain it's positives and negatives

It's a tikka, cut to 16inch and threaded. Old stock I had lying around and some talleys. In this photo has a vx3 2.5-8 but now sports a Z3 3-10 with drop reticle

The good
    It shoots pmc 55gr ammo thumbnail at 100. Dirt cheap. I also home load 52gr amax and 55 sierra for it. Both again thumbnail
    It's a light rifle, having a short barrel means less steel. I actually carried it into the greenstone this year and shot a deer with it, with the pmc. Dead on the spot. Along with sheep and deer in the bush

The bad
    There isn't any. Was recently thinking about changing to a faster twist. But end of the day this shoots things dead, I can head shoot with it if need be. Can shoot the light pills at small game. Can still shoot deer if I need to.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 7'08 shooter View Post
    That's awesome, what I like to hear!
    How far out do you think you would of been hitting steel at?
    7'08 shooter likes this.