Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cooee Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: 223- Questions

Quote Originally Posted by 7'08 shooter View Post
    How do you find the howa?
    The ones I've felt have been a little but clunky, do they smothen up with time?
    Mine was a little clunky at first but after 100 or so rounds and a bit of sitting in front of the TV cycling the action I can't complain at all.
    Cheap EXCL Lite chassis is a bit flimsy but makes for a nice light rifle. I found the original stock a bit solid for my liking.
    7'08 shooter likes this.

I just bought a 223 Howa model 1500 - 1:12 twist rate.

Nice smooth action, adjustable trigger, very accurate at 0.3s for handloads(best), and 0.8 average groups at 100m with fiocchi 55gr. That's all you'll ever need for hunting LR bunnies, wallabies, fallow etc. You can spend alot more and get less in terms of accuracy. Very good worker 223 - only downside its a tad heavier than say the Marlin XS7 which is also very accurate.

If you main criterion is an accurate hunter/worker then maybe Howa, Marlin, Savage, Zastava, Ruger American. If you want prettier engineering - and that's absolutely fine - then poss Browning, Tikka etc. If I was to buy another I'd also look very closely at Howa mini, and Ruger Ranch.

Ive got a tikka 223, 1/8 twist chopped to 16ish with Hardy suppressor. Shoots 50g to 64g very accurately, I only shoot out to about 200 with it on deer both reds and fallow. With correct sight setting shes point and shoot 0-200m no mucking around.
    My Dial system is stalk a bit closer 😊
    Trout, Husky1600, Phil_H and 2 others like this.

Bear in mind that the original spec for .223 Rem was a 1:14 twist rate.

Shorter barrels necessitate a faster twist rate.

My 24" (23.5") Sako Vixen .223 (reamed from .222) will stabilise a 63 grain Sierra .224 flat base, it's 1:14.

Howa mini's are now 1:8, earlier ones were 1:9 so what ever rifle you buy pays to check the twist rate of the actual rifle.
    mudgripz and 7'08 shooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner223 View Post
    Depends on what you want it for at the end of the day. Is it for varmints like rabbits? Deer stalking? Plinking?

I have a 1:12 twist, admittedly not my first choice but at the end of the day I'll explain it's positives and negatives

It's a tikka, cut to 16inch and threaded. Old stock I had lying around and some talleys. In this photo has a vx3 2.5-8 but now sports a Z3 3-10 with drop reticle

The good
    It shoots pmc 55gr ammo thumbnail at 100. Dirt cheap. I also home load 52gr amax and 55 sierra for it. Both again thumbnail
    It's a light rifle, having a short barrel means less steel. I actually carried it into the greenstone this year and shot a deer with it, with the pmc. Dead on the spot. Along with sheep and deer in the bush

The bad
    There isn't any. Was recently thinking about changing to a faster twist. But end of the day this shoots things dead, I can head shoot with it if need be. Can shoot the light pills at small game. Can still shoot deer if I need to.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Awesome cheers for the advice. What I hear from that is no matter what you put down it will still drop varmints like no tomorrow, deer (the odd fallow) and there is cheap ammo for plinking
    Micky Duck likes this.

Have 1-10 MAB, shoot 70 Bergers and 55 Nosler SB, both are in the same group at 100 meters which is a great situation to have.
    7'08 shooter likes this.

My Howa 1:8 heavy barrel loves Belmont 62 gr and even better, their 77 gr ammo. Was fortunate to find a decent quantity of both weights of ammo, so I’m set.
    Steelisreal and 7'08 shooter like this.

@7'08 shooter - lots of good advice here and also in previous threads. If you use Google with the 'site' function it is great at sifting through the forum for what you're really after:
    "site:www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz 223 twist rate" for instance. Works way better than the forum search function.

As to what to buy - that's up to your needs and budget to decide. Modern manufacturing means we don't often get total duds. The Howa 1500 short action is also a 1:8 twist now. With a simple mod the mag can be lengthened if you want to load heavies out longer than factory length if the throat will allow (mine certainly does) and there are options to put it in a prettier/lighter dress then the Hogue.
    Name:  IMG20211010110513.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  6.86 MB

Having said that, the Ruger American gets constant praise for how well it shoots at such a low price. It also has the benefit of good 10shot box mags if that is useful. Tikkas usually shoot very well and have other mag options (AICS and Waters) as well as lots of stock options.

Lastly, put a good scope on it! No-one ever regrets having decent glass, so make sure you don't skimp on the scope budget. And make sure to share stories and pictures of your hunting/shooting exploits.

howa is great for a out the box moa rifle. some may fing length of pull a bit long though compared to tikka

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    most factory 223's are 1-9
    only ones i know of (there will be more) that arn't
    are the zastava m85 mini's 1-12

and tikka/sako offer both 1-12 and 1-8

all the other common brands i know of are 1-9 which is good enough for upto 70 ish and down as low as 40
    I have the Ruger Ranch II. It is a 1:8" Twist in a 16" barrel and comes threaded 1/2x28. I have an ASE Can on it. Its currently my goto walkabout rifle for goat meat hunting with neck/head shots. 4 rds overlapping at 50m is normal on paper. It is relatively light and a real easy carry. Mine really likes 62gn and I have shot a fair few Belmont rds in that weight through it. Others have had good results with 55gn, mine does not like them so much so far but I may have my hand load sub-optimal for that weight. It also likes 69gn and 72gn. I did good at a NZDA Silhoutte shoot on the 100 and 200m ranges as long as I had a rest. Not so good offhand but that was me not the rifle.

It takes AR format mags so easy to get a handful of 10rd mags for goat culling.

The bolt was agricultural and the action sharp edged enough on internal to slice my thumb a couple of times. The bolt tended to bind half way home attempting a fast chambering. An evening working it in front of the TV with a coating of Flitz paste made it slick as and while it is loose compared with high end product, it is fast and reasonably quiet. Bit like a battlefield Enfield vs a P14 action. The synthetic stock seems rugged and rigid enough - no complaints there. Quite like the soft green.

Mine was $850 new on a sale before Covid and I would not readily part with it. After market 10 rd mags $86 per. Its a tough handy little number and does the job very well. Last two goats I shot were old billys to cull, shot offhand with body shots at 85m and 95m on the move. Rifle came on target real quick and two boom/flops. Not that goats are that resilient but there ya go...
    Try harder....

Id certainly recommend going 1/8 if buying new as it gives you more options for shooting heavier/longer projectiles and also monolithics same goes for all rifles really.
    I have a 1/12 Remington and it shoots really well with 55gr but nothing much heavier. 55gr SGKs perform great on goats etc.
    I have a 1/8 tikka as well which hammers with heavier projectiles & monolithics + still shoots 55gr stuff really accurately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7'08 shooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7'08 shooter View Post
    Awesome cheers for the advice. What I hear from that is no matter what you put down it will still drop varmints like no tomorrow, deer (the odd fallow) and there is cheap ammo for plinking
    Yea the cheaper ammo tends to be in the 55gr band as such. There is cheap heavier but it's certainly not as common. If it's on small game and paper they can't tell the difference. And same with deer at certain ranges if placed well. By all means I don't use this as my primary deer rifle but I'm planning on it not being far off it!
    7'08 shooter likes this.

Another good rifle I can recommend is the Sauer101.
    German quality for a reasonable price.
    Very smooth action, double stag magazine, adjustable trigger and
    and very accurate. Most of them already threaded to add a silencer.
    Can handle any projectiles.

A plus for the Ruger American ranch. 16.5in barrel 1:8 twist. DPT can and they are quite nicely balanced. As @Jhon says the machining is a bit agricultural but after a night with auto sol it smoothed out nicely, and cerakote finished it off. Loaned it to someone at nzda shoot last weekend and he commented on how smooth the action is. My go to ammo is 70g GMX followed by 62g Belmont. I did put a Timny trigger in and they just shoot bloody well. Have head shot to 320yds. I like the safety and they have a positive half close.
    25 /08 IMP, Jhon and 7'08 shooter like this.