Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: .22LR bolt action

.22LR bolt action

Hi All,

I am new here, and this is my first post.
    Just looking for a synthetic stock .22lr bolt action for my growing up son, as the bolt action is more kids friendly than a semi auto.

I am aftering the newer Marlin XT-22 or Ruger American Rimfire:
    The adjustable trigger is good for kids.
    Also, I prefer the rifle has both front and rear sights (I want to teach my son the basic shooting skill using iron sights.) and thread (for silencer and protect his ears.)

PM my if you have a spare one please.

Thanks All.

You wont be able room bro untillnyoubhave 5? Posts i think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have no idea mate...I cannot see any limits from my end.

welcome, where are you based ?

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    welcome, where are you based ?
    Hi mate,
    I am in Auckland, but can do proper paper work and pay for courier fee for shipping.
    Cheers

If you can live without the synthetic stock I spotted this one on trade me. We sold these new and they were $495 each for the bare rifle. This fellow has his at $170. I use one myself and they are a very accurate rifle. Open sights did come with them so he may still have them. We do know how to refit the fore sight and the rear is easy. With the straight bold handle on it, means it is a 78/01 which should have the adjustable trigger as well. These have slots in the trigger guard so you can adjust the screws without disassembly.

Seeing it has a scope and suppressor it is an absolute bargain. If I did not already have one, I would have bought it myself. Still very tempted.....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1646369604
    mudgripz and Pete_D like this.

As a thought, you can save money on suppressing it and just use subsonic ammo? Can get some pretty cheap bolt action 22's check out the second hand guns in SAI in Penrose. I even think they've got a ruger American 2nd hand but its decent money because it is like new.

A jw15 sounds like it will fit the bill. Serious shooters have them for cheap. I got mine for 180 bucks.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Iíve got a savage mark ii stainless 22lr I was looking at moving on. It has a Leupold 2-7x33 on it at the moment, I think I have the iron sights it came with somewhere, Iíll have a look. Threaded. It currently has a Boydís thumbhole stock on it currently but I still have the factory synthetic one it came with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Every day is leg day.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus_A View Post
    A jw15 sounds like it will fit the bill. Serious shooters have them for cheap. I got mine for 180 bucks.
    Norinco is cheap and reliable, however, I personally like the US brand

I haven’t chatted with them as dealers price always way too much than personal trade.
    Well, this is my first time to struggling with getting a rifle... and it is a .22lr, haha.

Some dealers are pretty reasonable and some private sellers are dreaming when they think they know what a rifle is worth. The Toz are easily a match for quality for the American ones and as much as you wont want to hear, the Norincos with the wooden stocks are easily in the same quality playground. My old one would easily out perform the rugers and the stirling I had at the same time. I have not seen a good "Polytech" branded one yet. (This doesn't mean there aren't any, just that of all of the ones I have seen, I have not seen a good one....)

Of the two you suggest, I would pick the Marlin every time. But f they were beside a Toz 78 and a Norinco and all the same price, both US ones would be left on the shelf.
    mudgripz likes this.

Apparently the ruger American has some extraction issues. Ruger American Rimfire failure to extract - Ruger Forum

Thank you everyone, I got a 2nd hand Marlin XT-22, which is a 2 years old package, but only got 50 rounds through it, so pretty new.
    It doesn't have open sights, but the price is very very good, so I purchased and also, ordered the upgraded front and rear sights from the US, will do a small project on it once they land.

Use CCI ammos in it - the fat little CCI rounds enagage the Marlins microgroove barrel very well. Should be a shooter.

Toz 78 a very good little bolt action. Did a review on one few years ago. Ideal 22 for kiwi hunters - as is a polished and chopped JW15 Norinco.