Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bigred
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By craigc

Thread: 3 season 2p tent

3 season 2p tent

Looking at either buying a good condition 2p 3 season tent or just getting some recommendations on what people have used and what I should get.

I have a macpac minaret and think it's bloody great. However it can't really be called a 2person. It's either a spacious 1man or be you and Mrs. Have had 2 6foot blokes in it but not exactly comfortable. They are pricey but I'm believer in you get what you pay for.

That's my 2cents
    2post likes this.

As above, 2 man is good for you and gear, if your After a dedicated 2 man tent I would look at a 3 man.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

I too have the Minaret and itís small. One man tent but it is of good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

MSR NX range, or some of the Big Agnes are good 3 season tents. There is also a chinese copy of the MSR that is suppose to be OK, can't remember it's name though.
    chainsaw likes this.

top of the south
    The msr copy is called luxe a very good copy a hell of a lot cheaper than msr hubba hubba but you need to pick your spot in high winds

Naturehike are also msr clones and are supposed to be good...I'm thinking of getting the cloud 2 model

Orson hopper 2, msr copy also
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

GWH
    I have the Luxe (hubba hubba copy). I've done 9 nights in it on an exposed site on Stewart Island in high winds and torrential rain, and I'm about to repeat that again very soon in the same tent. Hopefully with better weather this time. I like the Luxe copy.

If the Minaret is too small then the Olympus is a little bigger.
    They were doing them at good prices before Christmas. (??$660 )

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    MSR NX range, or some of the Big Agnes are good 3 season tents. There is also a chinese copy of the MSR that is suppose to be OK, can't remember it's name though.
    Nature hike is the brand i believe

I got a MSR Mutha Hubba at a discount and still bloody expensive. Has served me really well for the last few years and was perfect for Wapiti block in Fiordland for 10 days. Super roomy for two blokes and all there gear.

For better value for money I would look at Tarprent https://www.tarptent.com/ that come straight from the manufacturer Iím the US. They are super light weight and innovative design. Your pack is always too heavy when hunting so nice to have a super light tent!

I have a few tents and have had even more over the years. What the others have said is 100% right, you donít want to spend too much time in a two person tent with a hunting buddy, especially with the extra gear that us hunters Ďneedí.
    Iíve currently got a MSR for solo missions and an Olympus for fly in or exposed tops hunting. Iíve also got another Macpac geodesic dome tent that is rated for four people. That I use for drive in trips.
    Where you want to hunt plays a big role in what tent to get. Once you expose yourself to the winds on the open tops you need a pretty robust tent.
    I donít know if Iíd trust my MSR Hubba Bubba NX on an exposed ridge in the southern alps.
    You can split a bigger heavier tent up with a mate for big walk in trips too.
    The more questions you ask the harder the decision will be as Iíve found thereís almost a bad story about every make and model!
    The Magpacs are easy to get, cheap and designed for our conditions and use types. Spend as much as you can and youíll get a good tent.
    Danny likes this.