Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: .30 cal M1 carbines and mosin nagants

Im pretty sure counselling is available for those guys who love GC.

I shall stick to my policy of never darkening their shop doors ever again.....
    tetawa and systolic like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post

Thanks for opening up and sharing that with us all Muzza. This is clearly an important value for you.

Hey, anyone like my counsellor impression?
    FRST likes this.

They certainly are cool but still way overpriced, it seems that people think anything old is worth something these days.

I am old and invaluable , but selective .
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post

And you have that right and freedom to make that decision. Generally my dealings with GC have being pretty positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Thanks for opening up and sharing that with us all Muzza. This is clearly an important value for you.

Hey, anyone like my counsellor impression?
    OK, hi everybody, my name is 40mm and im addicted to shooting. Iv been clean for two hours now.
    Use enough gun

Checked the M1 carbines out today, they are all flogged out ratty things, over priced IMHO. The mosin nagants on the other hand were very tidy definitely worth a haggle.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    OK, hi everybody, my name is 40mm and im addicted to shooting. Iv been clean for two hours now.
    Sooo youíre telling us you had a shower two hours ago....? Ka pai

The price they are selling for is inline with what people are asking for in private sales. I don't think I could stomach paying $800 for a Mosin, payed $245 for mine years ago, but then there aren't that many surplus ones floating around anymore.

People are hording guns like this. The mil surp market is nuts at the moment. People put up beat to shit Kar98's for stupid money. Fully wooded Lee Enfields command a premium compared to what they used to as well. You might still get a good deal at the auctions, but some of the prices I have heard things sell for have been eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The price they are selling for is inline with what people are asking for in private sales. I don't think I could stomach paying $800 for a Mosin, payed $245 for mine years ago, but then there aren't that many surplus ones floating around anymore.

People are hording guns like this. The mil surp market is nuts at the moment. People put up beat to shit Kar98's for stupid money. Fully wooded Lee Enfields command a premium compared to what they used to as well. You might still get a good deal at the auctions, but some of the prices I have heard things sell for have been eye opening.
    Fully agree but they still aren't worth that money at all but, as long as people with more money than sense keep paying these prices the market won't change unfortunately.
    Steve123 likes this.

The M1 carbine that I got from GC was a matching numbered IBM stock with an Inland receiver, original Inland 1943 barrel, Inland barrel band, Inland trigger, Inland rear-sight and Inland safety (remembering Americans do not care about matching numbers or manufacturers to guns). Woodstock was dark because of oil but not cracked in any way. A good clean-up with BLO will bring up the walnut stock again.

Forewood was laden with grease and the receiver and barrel had no pitting. Barrel rifling was sharp. Certainly better than most milsurps I have seen sold on TM. Sent some pictures to a gun-collector mate in the US and he said I wouldn't be able to get something like that for anything less than $1K USD even from the gunshows (supposing they are selling you the genuine GI and not universal model) so that made me feel slightly better.
    grunzter and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Sooo you’re telling us you had a shower two hours ago....? Ka pai

didnt scrub my finger nails though.
    Use enough gun

.30 cal M1 carbines and mosin nagants

F no. Donít pay those prices guys. They all look heavily post war used and fiddled. If your looking to buy for an investment youíll wait a hundred years until the price you payed today is realised. These should be 700-1500 dollar guns. They are not hard to find in ww2 configuration. Here is mine

Last edited by Burb122; 13-01-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Snowgrass, Scouser, stuart and 3 others like this.

my take on it...if you are buying one of these its either as a investment.for a collection or you want a short light hack kind of a rifle....if its the 2nd one you are after there are many better/cheaper options out there.mini 14/30 comes to mind and a sks will do same job a heck of alot cheaper.
    Steve123 likes this.

I've talked to three or four private sellers over the last year, the first thing they do is google TM prices and then want what they saw them sell for ($15-1800). Unfortunately this seems to be a pattern with some guns. A handful of people want them all of a sudden so it drives the price up exponentially. People are paying upwards if $5k for Garands these days - that's just fuckin silly. I love mine but wouldn't pay much more than what I did for it, it was a fair price.

On the positive side, the more that come in, the more likely it will cool the market down.
    Steve123 and svt40 like this.