Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

303 military cases

Iím after some fired military 303 cases with the berdan primers. The more the better. I have the primers but need the cases.

Does anyone have any that they want to get rid of.

Flick me a PM if you have some you want to get rid of.

Banned
    I've got some Jim, not sure how many will have to have a look. Maybe 30 or so.

I have 20 S+b cases if that's worth anything at all?

JWB
    Banned
    The military berdan primer cases were primed with a primer containing mercury. When fired the mercury contaminated the case making the brass brittle and unsuitable for reloading. You need unfired cases that have had the load pulled to salvage the projectiles if you are going to load berdan cases with modern mercury free berdan primers.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    The military berdan primer cases were primed with a primer containing mercury. When fired the mercury contaminated the case making the brass brittle and unsuitable for reloading. You need unfired cases that have had the load pulled to salvage the projectiles if you are going to load berdan cases with modern mercury free berdan primers.
    Not sure they were mixing mercury priming compounds with potassium chlorate compounds. The barrel corrosive chlorate primers replaced mercury fulminate primers, not because mercury made the brass brittle (militaries don't reload so don't care) but because mercury fulminate was unstable especially with the passing of time - and militaries love to store stuff. If WW2 I'd not worry about mercury. Someone please correct me.

Berdan primers are a PIG to remove, if you try use some solvent to loosen the varnish (NOT heat - may anneal the cartridge base which is baaad for safe shooting). Time better spent on mowing the lawn, and speaking of which...
    Time is running out. Sign the COLFO 2nd tranche petition HERE.