Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: .311 bullets (7.62x39)

.311 bullets (7.62x39)

anyone got any standard 120,123,125 etc 7.62x39 projectiles
    fmj, sp, sst, whatever let me know

There's plenty around... zmax are cheap enough and are actually SST in that particular calibre. That's what I'm buying next.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I use .308 pills in mine, the nosler ballistic tip 2nds that come up on trademe are cheap enough and shoot well.
    the zmax would appeal as the hornady 50 pack with sst pills really impressed me but IM too tight to fork out $270 odd bucks and buy 500 projectiles at once.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I use .308 pills in mine, the nosler ballistic tip 2nds that come up on trademe are cheap enough and shoot well.
    the zmax would appeal as the hornady 50 pack with sst pills really impressed me but IM too tight to fork out $270 odd bucks and buy 500 projectiles at once.
    @Micky Duck how are you going accuracy wise .308 is 3 thou short of suggested dia would have thought that would be a lose fit
    unless you have a 7.62x39 with a .308 barrel I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a few rifles are 308 barrels due to more projectile choice when reloading....
    gunworks sell 100 bags 100 x Projectiles 7.62x39 123gr Hornady Z-Max | Trade Me which I just brought 66.50 including post saves about $10 bucks on buying sst's which are about 78 or so
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 11-12-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    @Micky Duck how are you going accuracy wise .308 is 3 thou short of suggested dia would have thought that would be a lose fit
    unless you have a 7.62x39 with a .308 barrel I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a few rifles are 308 barrels due to more projectile choice when reloading.
    gunworks sell 100 bags 100 x Projectiles 7.62x39 123gr Hornady Z-Max | Trade Me which I just brought 66.50 including post saves about $10 bucks on buying sst's which are about 78 or so
    I was going to ask the same thing.....

Here are some options...

BARNAUL - PROJECTILES

Gunworks Ltd - 7.62 X 39

Gunworks Ltd - 303 Cal

7.62x39 - Rifle Projectiles - Projectiles - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

Sierra 303cal .311 125gr Prohunter 2305 - 303cal - Rifle Projectiles - Projectiles - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

Lapua apparently make hollow point that size but it may be .308 rather than .311 but could be worth looking into...

I might have some of the Barnaul ones left from when I had a B/A in 7.62x39. I will have a look.

unless you have a 7.62x39 with a .308 barrel I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a few rifles are 308 barrels due to more projectile choice when reloading.
    I was going to ask the same thing.....

Here are some options...

BARNAUL - PROJECTILES

Gunworks Ltd - 7.62 X 39

Gunworks Ltd - 303 Cal

7.62x39 - Rifle Projectiles - Projectiles - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

Sierra 303cal .311 125gr Prohunter 2305 - 303cal - Rifle Projectiles - Projectiles - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

Lapua apparently make hollow point that size but it may be .308 rather than .311 but could be worth looking into...

I might have some of the Barnaul ones left from when I had a B/A in 7.62x39. I will have a look.

with a 4x scope we consistantly under 3" at hundered out of a norinco bolt action......
    now before you go all "fark thats useless" on me think about it......
    the cartridge DOESNT have the grunt to be ethical killer of anything bigger than a bunny much past 150 yards...200 at absolute max which is still within the vital zone.
    I bought box of the hornady SSTs to try out but havent put any into paper yet...the boys had a ball with them on spotlighted wallabies using 30 rounds for about 20 kills with ranges from 25-100 yards producing bang flops on some rather large wallabies.
    I havent tried to load to get any better groups or even tried with better scope.its got my nikkostirling 3x9x40 on it now ..just cause...the rifle is by go to for bush stalking and the deer dont seem to like it very much...they keep falling over dead.
    Feral likes this.

Anyone know what the twist rate on the Norinco actually is? Mine is buried. I wonder if it will stabilise a 174gr? I was told no it wouldn't, so went to those cast ones I had a load for, but those sexy SP's look the business and I then don't have to bell case mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    with a 4x scope we consistantly under 3" at hundered out of a norinco bolt action......
    now before you go all "fark thats useless" on me think about it......
    the cartridge DOESNT have the grunt to be ethical killer of anything bigger than a bunny much past 150 yards...200 at absolute max which is still within the vital zone.
    I bought box of the hornady SSTs to try out but havent put any into paper yet...the boys had a ball with them on spotlighted wallabies using 30 rounds for about 20 kills with ranges from 25-100 yards producing bang flops on some rather large wallabies.
    I havent tried to load to get any better groups or even tried with better scope.its got my nikkostirling 3x9x40 on it now ..just cause...the rifle is by go to for bush stalking and the deer dont seem to like it very much...they keep falling over dead.
    no I agree it is a 200m gun max and you have about a 6 inch margin for error on a deer

due to my situation (stuck in the wheel chair or quad bike) I tend to grab a longer range gun (260rem) for hunting
    I'm keen to see what accuracy I can get out of it on targets
    its currently getting a gunworks suppressor fitted and shortened as much as I can will be about 18 inches as its a older gunworks with miles of overbarrel its nice and short muzzle forward though
    50m results with factory s&b ammo where very promising an inch or less for an 8 shot group currently has a 4x32 sightron sii on it
    so looking forward to seeing what it can do with some nice handloads
    if it shows promise I might even go deeper and see what I can pull out of it with glass bedding etc

mine is an older Bisley one which are apparently slightly better than the new norinco ones

no I agree it is a 200m gun max and you have about a 6 inch margin for error on a deer

due to my situation (stuck in the wheel chair or quad bike) I tend to grab a longer range gun (260rem) for hunting
    I'm keen to see what accuracy I can get out of it on targets
    its currently getting a gunworks suppressor fitted and shortened as much as I can will be about 18 inches as its a older gunworks with miles of overbarrel its nice and short muzzle forward though
    50m results with factory s&b ammo where very promising an inch or less for an 8 shot group currently has a 4x32 sightron sii on it
    so looking forward to seeing what it can do with some nice handloads
    if it shows promise I might even go deeper and see what I can pull out of it with glass bedding etc

mine is an older Bisley one which are apparently slightly better than the new norinco ones

From what I have seen the Bisley is the pick of the Norinco centreifres. Not sure it is an age thing, but the later ones do seem to be either Norinco or Polytech. Avoid polytechs as I have not seen a decent one yet....QC seems to be their biggest issue..The Bisley (Bisley Small Arms...)
    was definitely one of the best versions.

I have my mini 30 shooting moa with handloads. Unfortunately my node is a bit slower so I'm at 1000 ftlb at 100m

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

rambo.....man after my own heart...mine is a bisley and wears a spartan..... its been hot glue gun bedded.
    my stock had a crack going back about an inch from forend so we whacked that off and fitted suppressor neatly up to that....its now about 2'' shorter with can on than it was bare barrel and is pure joy to carry in the bush.
    walkies in the open it usually hangs upside down,muzzle forward, under left arm with my left hand on suppressor or over right shoulder as normal.....the longer 2 rifles just wont sit on right shoulder the same with can sticking up but the wee tart is fine.
    Tommy.... shootersnz has 170 grn cast that is same size/shape as the 151grn hp and they work just fine n dandy.

I poked figures into pointblank the other day using BC from a jacketed 150 grn flat nose of .234 and gave 1000fps muzzle velocity...was pleasantly surprised. dead on 25 yards going up, dead on at 50 yards dropping and 8 inches low at 100 yards (I thought it wouldve been more like 18")