Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 40mm

Thread: 44 WCF brass

44 WCF brass

I need some brass please, .44WCF or I think it is also called .44/40 can anyone confirm if that is true?
    cheers, dave
    Use enough gun

Hayes and associates will get you sorted.

ah, i just ordered something.... quick, to the bat phone!
    thanks for that.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I need some brass please, .44WCF or I think it is also called .44/40 can anyone confirm if that is true?
    cheers, dave
    They are indeed one and the same.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    They are indeed one and the same.
    cheers, I am schooled! just ordered some brasss and stuff. looking forward to making some big holes.
    Shootm likes this.
    Use enough gun

Little bitty practice holes compared to what a 40L60 makes.....
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Little bitty practice holes compared to what a 40L60 makes.....
    Gigiddy
    Use enough gun

If you haven't reloaded 44-40 before, they are a bit different to modern cartridges. Your die set will be different and you'll need to become familiar with crimping. The brass is also paper thin and will crush easily with poor technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    If you haven't reloaded 44-40 before, they are a bit different to modern cartridges. Your die set will be different and you'll need to become familiar with crimping. The brass is also paper thin and will crush easily with poor technique.
    thanks for the advice, iv read about crimping in the die booklets etc. ill give it a go, should be good...... I assume the case mouth will need expanding too? Have you got any suggestions for target and hunting loads??
    cheers, dave
    Use enough gun

Most books only give pistol loads for safety. The rifle will handle faster loads but if cowboy action is your interest you can down load even these.
    Im old school and for hunting etc would only load cast bullets of 200-240 grains at about 1500- 1700 fps. Cheap shooting and they dont give anything away to jacketed slugs in the bang flop stakes. Actually its better than the 3030 at short range at tipping stuff over and a 73 winchester is truely a thing of beauty.

Yes 44-40win and 44wcf (winchester Center fire) are the same some brands will head stamp 44wcf and others 44-40 or 44-40win
    But donít worry its all the same I get mine from Reloaders they stock starline brass which I believe is the best quality out of the options available to us
    https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...%23SU4440.html

7.5gn adi ap70n and a 200gn flat point from a lee mold works well in my uburti winchester 66 reproduction for practice/plinking and easy cleaning
    Or 35gn by volume of schuetzen3f black powder with the same bullet for black powder competition
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 18-02-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Oh depending on your rifle the bullets have to be seated quite deep as there’s not much room in the action on the 66 and 73 win not sure about the 92’s but if they are to long they will feed into the mag fine but won’t be able to fit in the receivers getting jammed in there and they are a prick to get out some times if you lucky you can give the rizer a hand from the bottom and manually push it up so you can close the bolt and discharge the round if you’re lucky if you’re un lucky you have to strip the rifle
    This is why I use the 200gn as the crimp grove is in the right spot
    44-40 was designed to shoot 200gn bullets but ive seen so meny try to load them with 240’s and run into issues you just need to be aware that you may need to seat the bullet deeper than the crimp grove

Just Something to be aware of

Banned
    What rifle are you reloading for?
    Do you know what bore size you have?

If you have a modern rifle then it is most likely you have a .430 bore size. The 200g Hornady XTP is an excellent jacketed bullet. (You can use the 240 grain XTP as well.)

I reload a lot of .44 WCF for two different rifles, with both smokeless and blackpowder. Send me a PM if you want to know anything. For dies, get whatever you like, but make sure you order a Lee crimp die from (Reloaders Supplies) You will need it if you want to crimp your cartridges. (With the thin .44-40 case mouth, other crimps do not work well)

Everything is the same as normal except you have to expand the case mouth a little to seat a bullet. It's not really harder than anything and you wont wreck any cases if your using a Lee crimp die to crimp with..

If you are loading for a lever action, then using a crimp that will hold the bullet is important, again the Lee crimp die is partly the answer, but the best answer is to use a bulk powder load that fills the entire case and supports the bullet, either black powder, or with smokeless use AR2207 or RE7.

Black powder requires you compress the powder. It also requires a soft cast lead bullet, and a soft lube. If the bullet is pure lead (which is what they used) then it doesn't matter what diameter or bore size you have really, it will bump up in the bore with black powder. (But may not with smokeless.)

Despite what the internet says it is still possible to load 40 grains of black powder in a modern case (and always was) there is some old knowledge that has been lost regarding black powder reloading.
    Velocity is 1130fps from the '73 and 1200fps from the '92. Shot three deer so far with this load and never got a bullet back despite the soft pure lead and the low velocity. If you want to try blackpowder let me know and I can tell you more if your interested.

Smokeless loads with a 200 grain lead (or jacketed) bullet:

8.5 grains of AP70N (Universal in American books, or a close similar powder to Unique) and a 200 grain bullet is very accurate in both my rifles (ten shots into 1.5 inches at 100 yards.) low powered but accurate about 1120 fps. (Same as a .44 Rimfire - appropriate for a Winchester 66 or a Henry rifle) This will kill a deer just fine, but I consider it a gallery load. Would be good for CAS if that's what your into.

26 grains of AR2207 (H4198) mimics the original Dupont bulk smokeless load introduced in 1895 - the powder fills the case like black powder does, and supports the bullet ( so it doesn't telescope inside the case in a lever action magazine tube) Needs a solid crimp to burn properly. Quite accurate (1.5 inch groups at 100 metres depending on the bullet. XTP's are great.) Excellent smokeless load for the 1873, 1866, and Henry rifles. Velocity is the same as the original .44-40 load - 1380 fps from a Winchester 92, and 1300 fps from my Winchester 73.

This same load can be made with Reloader 7 also, giving a little higher velocity (1400 fps), and yet still suitable for '66's and 73's.

A duplex load of 2 grains of AP70N as a primer under 24 grains of AR2207 will make a cartridge that mimics the high velocity load that Winchester introduced in 1903 and manufactured until WW2. This give 1500-1600fps depending on the rifle. Jacketed bullet only. This is a '92 load only.

24 grains of AR2205 (H4227) will give a high velocity load up near .44 magnum territory with a jacketed bullet. Accuracy is good with an XTP, and velocity is 1680 - 1700fps. This is a '92 load only.

The .44-40 is one of my favourite cartridges. I am not a CAS shooter though, I hunt deer with mine.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 19-02-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Most books only give pistol loads for safety. The rifle will handle faster loads but if cowboy action is your interest you can down load even these.
    Im old school and for hunting etc would only load cast bullets of 200-240 grains at about 1500- 1700 fps. Cheap shooting and they dont give anything away to jacketed slugs in the bang flop stakes. Actually its better than the 3030 at short range at tipping stuff over and a 73 winchester is truely a thing of beauty.
    Ill mostly be shooting targets with it, will probably try for a goat too.
    Ill be buying some moulds for sure. thanks again for the advice.
    Use enough gun