Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 45/70 MARLIN SBL

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    believe me , I am not jumping with joy at the thought of selling and it is really doing my head in but it is becoming a safe queen as I spend more time hunting with the family and I worry about the kids hearing. The last goat I shot my daughter was next to me and her ears rang for ten mins after the shot , and it terrifies the missus , which is why I ended up building the supressed 308 bush pig for bush hunting instead.
    And now I have found a 22mag for bunnies , possum and goats in a semi I would like , that the whole family can use.
    All my other rifles have a specific use except the mighty 45 , since the 308 build , so unfortunately , that will have to be the one to be replaced . probably.......maybe......DOH...
    Have you tried subs?

@Ftx325, just out of interest, what green dot sight is on it and how does it hold up to the recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Have you tried subs?
    yeah @MB , I have a box of the hornady sub-x rounds but frankly without a suppressor they aren't that much quieter, and I considered modifying the rifle for a suppressor but there would be a fair amount of work required shortening and reattaching the tube magazine and possibly the barrel as it is fitted with a dovetail rather than a barrel clamp and would also probably mean no more front sight. And even I - "bubba" I have been called for fitting the handguard, hence the name below my avatar - wouldn't chop up a beauty such as this.....
    MB likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

What a beauty, makes me regret selling my 45/70 all those years ago

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    @Ftx325, just out of interest, what green dot sight is on it and how does it hold up to the recoil?
    Hi @thatguy,.. it is a Tac Vector optics SCRD-10B SPHINX
    sight. So far it has been no problems at all once sighted and very fast both eyes open targeting. I have been very pleased with it. Recoil has not been an issue as yet.

MB
    yeah @MB , I have a box of the hornady sub-x rounds but frankly without a suppressor they aren't that much quieter, and I considered modifying the rifle for a suppressor but there would be a fair amount of work required shortening and reattaching the tube magazine and possibly the barrel as it is fitted with a dovetail rather than a barrel clamp and would also probably mean no more front sight. And even I - "bubba" I have been called for fitting the handguard, hence the name below my avatar - wouldn't chop up a beauty such as this.....
    I'm using the Sub-X in 300BLK, they are not particularly quiet rounds. Disappointing. Due to slow powders which help cycle semi-autos according to a learned forum member.

Beautiful. I've been thinking for a long while of graduating to a 45/70 from my 30-30, still a way off spending that kind of coin on a gun I would probably at best only sometimes use.

I say keep it. Sometimes you just fall in love, those are the one's you hold on to.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I'm using the Sub-X in 300BLK, they are not particularly quiet rounds. Disappointing. Due to slow powders which help cycle semi-autos according to a learned forum member.
    I'm guessing the bloody great hole in the end of the barrel on the 45 probably doesn't help either

MB
    I'm guessing the bloody great hole in the end of the barrel on the 45 probably doesn't help either
    Yeah, it's only going to be louder!

@Ftx325 Have you looked at a 30-30 version like the dark? It looks a bit radical but it is a great goat gun suppressed with red dot or 1-6 scope.

Name:  20200703_210218.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  6.77 MB

Name:  20200618_103413.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  7.03 MB
    Last edited by 308mate; 17-02-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    omegaspeedy and Ftx325 like this.

Dont sell it. Family heirlooms need to start somewhere and a big blaster like that would be an awesome one.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    @Ftx325 Have you looked at a 30-30 version like the dark? It looks a bit radical but it is a great goat gun suppressed with red dot or 1-6 scope.

Attachment 160637

Attachment 160640
    very nice @308mate....

ok guys , boring back story time......
    I had my beloved AR when the kids were younger which I ran as 223 for goats and had a 22 bolt and mag conversion for smaller prey , and we all know what happened there....
    so just carried the bolt etc and had 2 different rifles in one could swap over in seconds .
    so bought a marlin xlr 30/30 ss laminate which my lad then promptly claimed as his rifle . but that also required the carrying of a separate 22 for possum etc....so 2 rifles.
    so I thought okay , i will get a 357 marlin sbl and use full power for goats and subs for possum etc ... got it suppressed , then my daughter claimed that one as hers... and god forbid anyone else so much as touch it .....see the theme here ??
    so got the 45/70 for myself ..... but still requires carry of a 22 as well .
    So 45/70 is to noisy as explained earlier so built the 308 for bush hunting . Mainly with deer etc in mind as where we go after goats , bunnies and possum rarely see anything else so don't consider the 308 a goat gun . But still requires a 22 to be carried as well (and of course it's me that has to carry it ...)
    So now we have four of us , the whole family out hunting , and we all have our own centrefire (the missus has a howa 7.62) but only one 22 between us which usually ends up in squabbles over who gets the shot .....
    and the 45/70 is rarely used except playing at the range .....
    Now any normal family would have maybe one or two center fire rifles they would share , but not this lot . They all want to use there own guns so we all end up traipsing around heavily armed and me with 2 rifles inc 22.
    so I thought I will get a second 22 we can share , so a 22 per pair of us , but that means carrying another 22 as well as the first one .... and the center fires...and a bag , and goat carcasses ...
    So I then struck upon the idea of a 22 magnum that will knock over goats and smaller critters , only one rifle for me to carry and the others can fight over the 22 while I am merrily bowling over all and sundry within range . Dang that's a brilliant idea thinks I , so go about checking out 22 maggies and doing a bit of research and unfortunately the rifle I have settled on is horrendously expensive...
    So that's where I am at the moment tossing up what to do.....
    Waldo Peens and 308mate like this.

bought a marlin xlr 30/30 ss laminate which my lad then promptly claimed as his rifle.
    so I thought okay , i will get a 357 marlin sbl and use full power for goats and subs for possum etc ... got it suppressed , then my daughter claimed that one as hers.....
    You sound like a great father @Ftx325...perhaps 'too nice' to your kids?
    And here you are weighed down with decisions.
    I wonder how much of what weighs you down at the moment would not be yours to carry...if you were not so kind?
    Ftx325 likes this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Cole
    Keep it, I’m sure your boy will claim it off you in the very near future when he’s “outgrown” the 30/30!
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    You sound like a great father @Ftx325...perhaps 'too nice' to your kids?
    And here you are weighed down with decisions.
    I wonder how much of what weighs you down at the moment would not be yours to carry...if you were not so kind?
    unfortunately my wallet is far from weighing me down which is really the crux of the problem with selling the 45 (or not) .....
    but the family love hunting and being out in the bush so I am most happy to support them even if it is at my cost in buying all the rifles (inc the missus' howa) . Is that not what parents do ? And as far as our sport of shooting goes I believe we need to involve the next generation as much as possible to try and protect its future .
    I also have expensive tastes in toys and like to buy stuff I can cherish rather than just what will do the job which is also a part of the problem. , a problem of my own making in this case.
    onlyhsh, ROKTOY and Hermitage like this.